• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit pants with roomy crotch area

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever heard of the words: alteration tailor?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
on the internet, everyone has too much meat for their pants
rolleyes.gif

Down boy, down.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this you?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Ever heard of the words: alteration tailor?

You seem to have experience with this kind of alteration.

a) Is this usually easy to do? Is there enough material to be let out? Does he change the front rise or something else?

b) Is it generally expensive?

c) Do the pants look as balanced or a bit off afterwards?

Oh, and Ed - seriously you must wear baggy pants. Even on a cold winter's day when my junk is shrunken there is just no space for it. I mean, have you TRIED H&M pants on (even regular fit)? I'm not talking about a massive bulge while wearing Wrangler relaxed fits here. No e-machismo whatsoever.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 9 inch rise is not a high rise. Most 32-34 inch waist people would consider a 10 inch rise on dress pants to be low to mid rise.

I just meant higher than low, low. Some of the trousers a few years ago had really low rises.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I've run into the same issue with most pants, however since I have a big booty from loads of squats/sprints, I have to size up to a 50 (34) or in some cases 52 (36) in Incotex and get the waist taken in. With these pants I generally have no issues with the jewels as long as I'm wearing undergarments which keep them in a tight package (boxer briefs and briefs). I do have a pair of pants from Zara which are actually cut to near perfection but alas, I haven't been able to find the style since and the poor construction is becoming evident now, a year later.

I've also been getting disproportionately bigger in the thighs/ass from compound lifts recently. Do you find that the 34 Incotex fits pretty well everywhere else except the waist? Doesn't look weird after alteration? This could be a good option. Sizing in your usual size in Incotex is suicide.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
You seem to have experience with this kind of alteration.

a) Is this usually easy to do? Is there enough material to be let out? Does he change the front rise or something else?

b) Is it generally expensive?

c) Do the pants look as balanced or a bit off afterwards?

It's a simple operation known as "taking out the crotch". There is usually some amount of fabric to let out unless the issue was so dramatic that you would not be able to even put them on in the first place. It is inexpensive at inexpensive tailors and more expensive at more expensive tailors. Doesn't really change the balance of the pants much except letting a bit out at the crotch to avoid moose-knuckles and other incongruities.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's a simple operation known as "taking out the crotch". There is usually some amount of fabric to let out unless the issue was so dramatic that you would not be able to even put them on in the first place. It is inexpensive at inexpensive tailors and more expensive at more expensive tailors. Doesn't really change the balance of the pants much except letting a bit out at the crotch to avoid moose-knuckles and other incongruities.
Thanks. Didn't even realize this was commonly done. Will talk to my man at L&S to see how much he charges for it. I'd be willing to pay $20 to make most of my currently embarrassing pants wearable. EDIT: Ugh, don't even want to think about the "process" the tailor will go through to determine the amount that needs to be taken out.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
on the internet, everyone has too much meat for their pants
rolleyes.gif

If you've looked at how trousers fit it's actually about having a big ass and some fat around the waist, they just think it's about the crotch but it all goes in the same top block.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Thanks. Didn't even realize this was commonly done. Will talk to my man at L&S to see how much he charges for it. I'd be willing to pay $20 to make most of my currently embarrassing pants wearable.

I think that Wilfred (on the expensive side) charges $20-25 for crotch alterations. Look inside the pants at the crotch area and the amount of fabric before you go.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
I think it also had to do with the rise.

Yes, this. You can alter the waist but I don't think you can alter the rise. Someone here so eloquently stated that "you buy pants that fit your seat and then have the waist altered". In my experience the rise is often inconsistent among the same brand and even type of pants (referring to Incos and RL specifically).

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can definitely alter the seat and crotch. Done it several times - in and out.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than taking out the crotch, i would recommend buying a size up i.e. 50EU incos (not US 34) and having the waist taken in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads