Slim fit pants with roomy crotch area

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MetroStyles, Dec 2, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ever heard of the words: alteration tailor?

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

A 9 inch rise is not a high rise. Most 32-34 inch waist people would consider a 10 inch rise on dress pants to be low to mid rise.

3. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

on the internet, everyone has too much meat for their pants [​IMG]

Down boy, down.

4. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Is this you?
    [​IMG]

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

low-rise pants are bad for when i get a hi-rise.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Ever heard of the words: alteration tailor?

You seem to have experience with this kind of alteration.

a) Is this usually easy to do? Is there enough material to be let out? Does he change the front rise or something else?

b) Is it generally expensive?

c) Do the pants look as balanced or a bit off afterwards?

Oh, and Ed - seriously you must wear baggy pants. Even on a cold winter's day when my junk is shrunken there is just no space for it. I mean, have you TRIED H&M pants on (even regular fit)? I'm not talking about a massive bulge while wearing Wrangler relaxed fits here. No e-machismo whatsoever.

7. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

A 9 inch rise is not a high rise. Most 32-34 inch waist people would consider a 10 inch rise on dress pants to be low to mid rise.

I just meant higher than low, low. Some of the trousers a few years ago had really low rises.

8. MetroStyles

I've run into the same issue with most pants, however since I have a big booty from loads of squats/sprints, I have to size up to a 50 (34) or in some cases 52 (36) in Incotex and get the waist taken in. With these pants I generally have no issues with the jewels as long as I'm wearing undergarments which keep them in a tight package (boxer briefs and briefs). I do have a pair of pants from Zara which are actually cut to near perfection but alas, I haven't been able to find the style since and the poor construction is becoming evident now, a year later.

I've also been getting disproportionately bigger in the thighs/ass from compound lifts recently. Do you find that the 34 Incotex fits pretty well everywhere else except the waist? Doesn't look weird after alteration? This could be a good option. Sizing in your usual size in Incotex is suicide.

9. gdl203

You seem to have experience with this kind of alteration.

a) Is this usually easy to do? Is there enough material to be let out? Does he change the front rise or something else?

b) Is it generally expensive?

c) Do the pants look as balanced or a bit off afterwards?

It's a simple operation known as "taking out the crotch". There is usually some amount of fabric to let out unless the issue was so dramatic that you would not be able to even put them on in the first place. It is inexpensive at inexpensive tailors and more expensive at more expensive tailors. Doesn't really change the balance of the pants much except letting a bit out at the crotch to avoid moose-knuckles and other incongruities.

10. MetroStyles

It's a simple operation known as "taking out the crotch". There is usually some amount of fabric to let out unless the issue was so dramatic that you would not be able to even put them on in the first place. It is inexpensive at inexpensive tailors and more expensive at more expensive tailors. Doesn't really change the balance of the pants much except letting a bit out at the crotch to avoid moose-knuckles and other incongruities.
    Thanks. Didn't even realize this was commonly done. Will talk to my man at L&S to see how much he charges for it. I'd be willing to pay $20 to make most of my currently embarrassing pants wearable. EDIT: Ugh, don't even want to think about the "process" the tailor will go through to determine the amount that needs to be taken out.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

on the internet, everyone has too much meat for their pants [​IMG]
    If you've looked at how trousers fit it's actually about having a big ass and some fat around the waist, they just think it's about the crotch but it all goes in the same top block.

12. gdl203

Thanks. Didn't even realize this was commonly done. Will talk to my man at L&S to see how much he charges for it. I'd be willing to pay $20 to make most of my currently embarrassing pants wearable.

I think that Wilfred (on the expensive side) charges $20-25 for crotch alterations. Look inside the pants at the crotch area and the amount of fabric before you go.

13. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

I think it also had to do with the rise.

Yes, this. You can alter the waist but I don't think you can alter the rise. Someone here so eloquently stated that "you buy pants that fit your seat and then have the waist altered". In my experience the rise is often inconsistent among the same brand and even type of pants (referring to Incos and RL specifically).

14. gdl203

You can definitely alter the seat and crotch. Done it several times - in and out.

15. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Rather than taking out the crotch, i would recommend buying a size up i.e. 50EU incos (not US 34) and having the waist taken in.