• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Civilized substitute for flip flops?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've made a few dressing related promises to myself, and one of them is to never again wear flip flops anywhere but the beach. But I live in a place with miserable hot summers and need a pair of ultra casual shoes that are easy to put on and take off, breathe really well, and would be good at a summer barbecue or the like (I know it's not summer. I think ahead.)

I know sandals are the obvious choice, but I've honestly never seen a pair of sandals that I didn't think were ugly. Any other ideas?

asdf

Reaction score
deck shoes or desert boots?

i mean...they arent as cool* as flip flops or sandals...but they look alot better

*referring to temperature

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
So I've made a few dressing related promises to myself, and one of them is to never again wear flip flops anywhere but the beach. But I live in a place with miserable hot summers and need a pair of ultra casual shoes that are easy to put on and take off, breathe really well, and would be good at a summer barbecue or the like (I know it's not summer. I think ahead.)

I know sandals are the obvious choice, but I've honestly never seen a pair of sandals that I didn't think were ugly. Any other ideas?

Deck shoes, also known as boat shoes, are probably what you're looking for. Easy to put on, easy to take off, and comfortable. They also stand up to serious abuse and are not meant to be babied. And let's face it; it's nice to have a pair or two of shoes that fit that profile.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i bought a pair of leather sandals (sort of like flip flops as there is a separate loop for the big toe) made of thick dark brown leather by John Varvatos from Gilt groupe several weeks back and it is a very nice looking sandal i may say. i tried to find a photo around here somewhere but i cant find it. it is made in brazil, but it is very qualitative and substantial and looks and feels like a 250 dollar sandal as the retail puts it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
AE Park Avenue

laugh.gif

tor

Reaction score
I think boat shoes might fit the bill. I recently made the transition from flip flops to boat shoes, and I love them. Plus, if you ever get on a boat, you won't have to change footwear!

Beware though, they get a little smelly.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those sandals do look nice. I knew someone would come up with something like that.

I have some Topsiders. Maybe I should just get a second pair in grey. But those sandals do look rather promising.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
those sandals do look nice. I knew someone would come up with something like that.

I have some Topsiders. Maybe I should just get a second pair in grey. But those sandals do look rather promising.

thanks.
JV does have a few of these types of sandals out every year so you may have a chance yet again on Gilt if you have membership.
they were only 48 plus ship, was well worth it.

the leather though is really beefy and tough at first so you have to break them in like a shoe. they werent so malleable the first few wears and i had a few abrasions on my feet but now they are softer and comfortable.

John_Edward

Reaction score
I live in a place where it's conceivable to wear flip-flops 9 of 12 months.

As stated above several times, boat shoes are probably bang-on. I've made the switch and I needn't ever go back.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM