• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the right number of shoes for a well dressed man?

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Quality over quantity, I know. But too few you lack options. Too many you might never wear them and be borderline wasteful.

What is the right number of shoes for a well dressed man?

I think around 12-15 minimum, around 40 to 50 max.

I can comfortably fit 39 pairs in my current closet set up, so that’s what I keep. When I go over 39 I donate. I keep sandals and flip flops for the beach in a bin at the bottom of the closet (not included in the 39 count). And that’s also not including bowling or golf shoes, snow boots or lawn mowing shoes which I all keep outside.

How many shoes do you well dressed men have?

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I think this question has a lot to do with what types of shoes you're wearing and how well people cycle their closet.

I have 4 pairs of Frye boots I don't wear from my early 20's. I have 3 pairs of Lucchese's from when I thought I was a cowboy, that I don't wear.

I don't wear sneakers except to run.

Everything I do wear now is usually C+J or Armoury - I have a maybe 8 shoes rotation including Gucci bit loafers which use as beaters w/ jeans. 40-50 pairs of C+J's would be the cost of a entry level German car....I doubt I'll have that many ever.

If you wear a lot of sneakers, I could see 40. If not, thats way high.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts!

I totally get it, yes 40 shoes that are even a few hundred each would be crazy expensive.

I like to have lots of options. A few years ago I got rid of all my terrible pleather shoes that you buy for $40-$50. Against many recommendations I spent some money replacing them all with Cole Haan, J&M, Clarks, etc so I would have something to wear while I bought nicer shoes one at a time. Still not a high end shoe guy but over the past couple years I have started trading out the ones I wear most for nicer GYW shoes and boots from Allen Edmunds, Redwing, Thursday and other mid priced brands. However, there are a lot of random shoes in there where high end is not necessary, including sneakers, but I do like dress sneakers like Greats brand that are made in Italy and better than average. And though I know many guys on this forum hate things like Cole Haan, I only wear black cap toes or wing tips like once or twice a year. They polish up and look fine for occasional use, so I prefer to spend my money on boots, dress sneakers, and loafers for the warm weather. Also I don’t prefer chukka’s so I see all 4 pairs remaining Clark’s (which are classic) for occasional use.

To give an idea of what my 39 are composed of:

1 Cowboy Boot ( I live in Texas)
1 Roper Boot
2 Lace Up Boot (Black/Brown)
2 Chelsea Boot (Black/Brown)
4 Chukka Boot (assorted colors)
3 Casual Oxfords/Bluchers
4 Loafers (Penny/Bit)
2 Boat Shoes (1 Leather/1 Canvas)
1 Driving Moc
4 Dress Shoes (Mix of cap toe/long wing/assorted colors)
1 Double Monk
1 Steel Toe Work Boot
4 “Dress“ Sneakers (Assorted Colors)
9 Assorted Casual Sneakers and Athletic Shoes (Things like Nike Killshot 2 from Jcrew, Vans, Stan Smiths, and Adidas Ultra Boost for working out)

I guess it also depends on what your work environment is like (l almost always get to wear business casual)...

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Hmm, I guess if I did a deep dive and thought about it:

Shoes I wear:
2 captoes
2 monks
1 whole cut
3 loafers
1 chukka
1 lace up boot

Shoes I wear, but not sartorially:
1 sneaker for running
1 sandals for walking outside short term (Asian wife = can't wear shoes in house)
1 Red Wing for gardening

Defunct Shoes sitting in boxes:
1 Cavalry Boot
4 Fryes Moto boots
3 Lucchese Cowboy Boots

I clearly used to be very into boots....I guess I still am....next on list of purchases:
Grosvenor - https://www.crockettandjones.com/the-article/aw18-details-grosvenor/
Islay - https://www.crockettandjones.com/islay-darkbrown-scotch-grain/

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
I see myself going this direction as I get older. I am in my mid 30s and am fortunate to have a pretty decent budget, but I also like to buy clothes a lot!

I really like the second pair you linked to above. All of those C&J Chelsea’s look great.

These are much cheaper, but possibly my next purchase:

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Oh man...I think I just got called old lol.

I'm only 33!

I also like to buy clothes a lot....I risk the wroth of wife quite often because of it.

50/50 if she kills me because of clothing or trees first.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Haha.

That’s not what I meant. You are a couple years younger than me.

Though I have a healthy budget for shoes and clothes, I also like many other $$$ things and have two kids in a pricey daycare.

So I am not going to be buying $900 shoes till I am a true executive somewhere that merits it!

I agree on the wife. She already almost kills me. 😉

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Was mostly kidding. You are smarter than I.

My company is hyper casual much to my chagrin.

Panama

Reaction score
I have 40, so around that amount.
I have Loakes 1880's, Barker Handcrafted, Cheaney's all in various Toe cap Oxfords, Derby brogues etc.
I am missing out on casual shoes, so loafers and Chukkas are needed.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I see myself going this direction as I get older. I am in my mid 30s and am fortunate to have a pretty decent budget, but I also like to buy clothes a lot!

I really like the second pair you linked to above. All of those C&J Chelsea’s look great.

Don't ! Rugged boots blake stiched ... It's like norvegian stiched penny loafers. It doesn't make any sense. There is way better alternatives at this price point.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score

Yeah, I did see that they are Blake. Probably won’t buy. But it’s almost the exact look I am going for. Need to look around a bit more.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 79 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 151 32.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 135 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 52 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%