• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucy J
As regards enjoying the feeling of a long thick shaft - I couldnt possibly comment.......

Not fortunate enough to own a worthy umbrella? Cause then you will understand..
inlove.gif

Lear

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the info. SAB found the missing cover (no charge of course). Whilst there, I decided to have my initials engraved. Had to wander the streets for a few hours, but the results were superb. I'm extremely pleased with this umbrella. After polishing with a special soft cloth, the silver sparkles white in the daylight.

lovely stuff.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Thanks to all for the info. SAB found the missing cover (no charge of course). Whilst there, I decided to have my initials engraved. Had to wander the streets for a few hours, but the results were superb. I'm extremely pleased with this umbrella. After polishing with a special soft cloth, the silver sparkles white in the daylight.

lovely stuff.

did you polish the shaft well?
lol8[1].gif

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
did you polish the shaft well?
lol8[1].gif

Polishing your shaft, shoe Appreciation, tie Appreciation and pictures of strange men in suits. I can see how an office worker perusing SF might suffer; or a married man might have some explaining to do.
blush.gif
I forgot to say, I had planned on getting the plain solid oak stick. I knew that the PoW umbrella came as a two piece model, so had ruled that out. Luckily (not for my wallet) a customer had canceled this bespoke order. It was siting there, begging to be bought. I vanished to the nearest coffee shop and wrestled with my conscience. The rest of the story you know...

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, Papworth has some Briggs seconds available again - the oak one is nice. A bit more expensive than what I paid for my maple though.

The cost for mailing to the US is most than the price of the umbrella
frown.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
I forgot to say, I had planned on getting the plain solid oak stick. I knew that the PoW umbrella came as a two piece model, so had ruled that out. Luckily (not for my wallet) a customer had canceled this bespoke order. It was siting there, begging to be bought. I vanished to the nearest coffee shop and wrestled with my conscience. The rest of the story you know...
Terrific purchase decision. I had considered the Prince of Wales but ruled it out because of the two-piece construction.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
The cost for mailing to the US is most than the price of the umbrella
frown.gif

Not really... I think my umbrella was either 60 or 100-something pounds, and shipping was 40 or 50 pounds.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Not fortunate enough to own a worthy umbrella? Cause then you will understand..
inlove.gif

My cherrywood Brigg has a wonderful long thick shaft - but that wasnt what I had in mind - I was thinking more of something that makes me wet rather than keeps me dry.......

Lucy J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My umbrellas have seen a lot of use over the last couple of days.

Where are you JayJay? - Here in Brighton I can see I'm going to be needing my Brigg on my walk home from the office, although thankfully it's not windy today!

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread ... here is my SAB Wangee. It's got the wooden shaft and while obviously two-piece, the join is nicely done and looks very secure. I don't find it heavy but then I've never tried the metal shafted Briggs.

SAB was a pleasure to deal with...

l1000280.jpg

l1000281.jpg

Lucy J

Reaction score
Do any of our reporters live on the California coast - a girlfriend of mine who works in San Francisco has texted me to say they are expecting a really bad storm today. She bought a traditional Brigg when she was last over in London, and has used it on her way to the office in SF this morning - apparently it was OK but she doesn't know if she will risk using the umbrella later if the storm gets much worse...!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads