• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
Can't imagine that they're any better then your run of the mill J&M or Florsheim shoes. Designing looks ok in person, but don't like the rubber soles.

If you want wingtip bluchers, I think the AE Hinsdale are on 6pm for about 190, and probably less at the AE Shoe Bank.

I have an old pair that has held up nice. IIRC they were from Italy.

Guus

Reaction score
Hello all, how are you?

So i am thinking about getting the J.Crew Sutherland Trench Coat however I am hestiant because;
1) I have never owned or worn a trench coat
2) Will only need it for the rainny day or cool fall/spring weekend
3) I have only seen it through pictures over the internet. The model did a good job of making it look cool however that could be deceiving.
4) I haven't checked my local J.Crew outlets yet but last time I went, I didnt see them, not to mention they never have anything in stock.

I usually wear a small size, I have a slim body and I wanted to get opinons from the posters of this website.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
Hello all, how are you? So i am thinking about getting the J.Crew Sutherland Trench Coat however I am hestiant because; 1) I have never owned or worn a trench coat 2) Will only need it for the rainny day or cool fall/spring weekend 3) I have only seen it through pictures over the internet. The model did a good job of making it look cool however that could be deceiving. 4) I haven't checked my local J.Crew outlets yet but last time I went, I didnt see them, not to mention they never have anything in stock. I usually wear a small size, I have a slim body and I wanted to get opinons from the posters of this website.
1. They can be very nice. 2. Make sure it's weather/water proofed for rain, and not just plain cotton or it would be pointless. Maybe a Mac Coat is more what you want. 3. It has been identified that the the trench was indeed binder clipped (see close up of arm bend of the model in the first pic) to give a slimmer fit appearance. 4. My local J.Crew outlet did offer trench coats as of last week if I'm not mistaken. Maybe call around and see if they would do a ship sale for you. Usually a small in what other brands? Depending on how slim you are, you may want an XS in the trench or any other of J Crew's coats for that matter.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, how are you?

So i am thinking about getting the J.Crew Sutherland Trench Coat however I am hestiant because;
1) I have never owned or worn a trench coat
2) Will only need it for the rainny day or cool fall/spring weekend
3) I have only seen it through pictures over the internet. The model did a good job of making it look cool however that could be deceiving.
4) I haven't checked my local J.Crew outlets yet but last time I went, I didnt see them, not to mention they never have anything in stock.

I usually wear a small size, I have a slim body and I wanted to get opinons from the posters of this website.

I like mine a lot, but sized down one.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
I like mine a lot, but sized down one.

How does it fit? Is it baggy or does it have a bit a slim cut to it? I will probably buy this week sense i received 20% off any item from the online store.

Usually a small in what other brands? Depending on how slim you are, you may want an XS in the trench or any other of J Crew's coats for that matter.
I am pretty slim, my waist is at about 29 and I'm about 5'9. I don't think they sell a XS on their website, however I wouldn't want a size too small. I like to extend the clothes that I purchase.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it fit? Is it baggy or does it have a bit a slim cut to it? I will probably buy this week sense i received 20% off any item from the online store.

It is slim if you size down one. If you usually wear S I would recommend going to XS. How are you getting 20% off?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's get down to business and give information that will be more useful. What are your stats (height, weight, etc.)? For reference I'm 5'8", 150 lbs. and found that J Crew shirts in an XS give me a nice fitted look, maaaybe a tad snug in the neck, while their smalls give me a decent fit but more of a conservative (i.e. looser) fit. Most of their jackets run much more roomier.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
It is slim if you size down one. If you usually wear S I would recommend going to XS. How are you getting 20% off?

From the catalog I received in the mail this past week. It is good until Sunday.

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Let's get down to business and give information that will be more useful. What are your stats (height, weight, etc.)? For reference I'm 5'8", 150 lbs. and found that J Crew shirts in an XS give me a nice fitted look, maaaybe a tad snug in the neck, while their smalls give me a decent fit but more of a conservative (i.e. looser) fit. Most of their jackets run much more roomier.
I'm about 5'8, 140 and I do like XS but i have found that J.Crew's cut is a bit slimmer than most other clothing distributors, plus its a coat so I'll probably have multiple layers under.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the catalog I received in the mail this past week. It is good until Sunday.

Ah so you're one of the lucky ones. Just curious, is it the full men's/women's catalog or just men's?

I'm about 5'8, 140 and I do like XS but i have found that J.Crew's cut is a bit slimmer than most other clothing distributors, plus its a coat so I'll probably have multiple layers under.

Hmm it seems you may just need to stick with XS then as you're about 10 lbs. lighter than I and can see a small swallowing you unless you have broad shoulders.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh?

Are you ingesting hallucinogenic substances in the fitting room?

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Huh?

Are you ingesting hallucinogenic substances in the fitting room?

Maybe the articles of clothing he's purchased come with the binder clips shown on the J Crew website?

Guus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Ah so you're one of the lucky ones. Just curious, is it the full men's/women's catalog or just men's?

Full men's/women's

Hmm it seems you may just need to stick with XS then as you're about 10 lbs. lighter than I and can see a small swallowing you unless you have broad shoulders.

Where can I get an XS? That option doesn't seem to be available on their website.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I get an XS? That option doesn't seem to be available on their website.

It may be sold out unless it wasn't made in that size which I doubt. Call customer service and they may be able to locate it for you.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew's shirts are not really slim, but the most important part, the shoulder measurement, is at least rather slim for the corresponding neck measurement, which means that J. Crew shirts are good candidates for tailoring if you want a really slim fit. I actually like the OTR fit for day-to-day wear, at least on the secret wash shirts, which seem to be slimmer than some of the other shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads