• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thoughts on the fatigue/cargos? I'm bravely wearing mine all the way realizing I may be commiting a fashion blunder. Can't help it though. These feel cool.

by the way, I switched out my customary DBs for my Campers Brothers. I bought these more than a year ago and didn't fall in love with them, but after reading strong endorsements for them on Magnificent Bastard decided to give them another go. I feel like they're working now. They're definitely a bit funky, but they set off the fatigue pants nicely.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Barrylicious
That's what I've been told by the clerks, but I'm in no rush. Patience is a virtue.

Good luck...the stuff I really want (like that chambray shirt) never seems to go on sale, I just gave up and got one at Uniqlo in the spring. I waited 6 months for the British Millenarian field coat now on sale to go on sale, gave up, and bought a Barbour. Such is life...

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Even if it's not SF-approved? *gasp*
There's a whole thread on cargo pants and lots of people here own versions by EG, RRL, or military surplus.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
quick question...
Does anyone have chest and shoulder measurements for the J crew x Mister Freedom white chambray in a size L? also, is it raw or washed? Thanks in advance.

Normally I would search for the answer myself but this thread has become ridiculously long and the search function doesn't bring up any posts with the answer I'm looking for.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quickest would be to call J. Crew customer service. They have all that kind of info at their fingertips.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Thoughts on the fatigue/cargos? I'm bravely wearing mine all the way realizing I may be commiting a fashion blunder. Can't help it though. These feel cool.

I would just make sure you don't look like a psycho, such as pairing them with black combat boots and a black shirt. I was watching The Bachelorette this season and the guy that went all the way and got the girl paired a pink shirt with green combat shorts in the Hawaii episode. Both me and my girlfriend thought it looked good (although it was very unformal with untucked shirt & sandals. Not sure how it would look tucked with a belt and shoes.) White button down shirt with DB's I think would be the most classic pairing.

The fact that you are a Federal employee who's allowed to wear fatigues to work makes me wonder if your co-workers dress like douchebags? If thats the case I certainly wouldn't stress over it. Most of the government workers in my town look like they don't even wash themselves - like they just roll out of bed and stumble into work with uncombed hair etc.

I applaud your effort though, get in there and set the example bro.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
I would just make sure you don't look like a psycho, such as pairing them with black combat boots and a black shirt. I was watching The Bachelorette this season and the guy that went all the way and got the girl paired a pink shirt with green combat shorts in the Hawaii episode. Both me and my girlfriend thought it looked good (although it was very unformal with untucked shirt & sandals. Not sure how it would look tucked with a belt and shoes.) White button down shirt with DB's I think would be the most classic pairing.

The fact that you are a Federal employee who's allowed to wear fatigues to work makes me wonder if your co-workers dress like douchebags? If thats the case I certainly wouldn't stress over it. Most of the government workers in my town look like they don't even wash themselves - like they just roll out of bed and stumble into work with uncombed hair etc.

I applaud your effort though, get in there and set the example bro.

Ha ha. Yeah, they're not exactly classy dressers. Here's a rundown of what I see most days on my fellow male Feds: oversized Target polos, bad Hawaiin shirts, bad tie-dye tee-shirts (no kidding), cowboy boots, pleated Dockers, Dad jeans, baggy dress shirts, and Rockport "dress" shoes.

I stand out a little.

There are exceptions, though, mostly, for some odd reason, among our scientist-researchers, who tend to wear slightly better fitting polos and better names, like Lacoste or RL. I even saw one of them today in what looked like authentic old Air Force green (not cami) fatigue pants.

I like mixing casual things like fatigue/cargo pants with slightly preppy things, as I did today, wearing them with my Webster secret wash shirt (tucked in).

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Ha ha. Yeah, they're not exactly classy dressers. Here's a rundown of what I see most days on my fellow male Feds: oversized Target polos, bad Hawaiin shirts, bad tie-dye tee-shirts (no kidding), cowboy boots, pleated Dockers, Dad jeans, baggy dress shirts, and Rockport "dress" shoes.

LOL, especially at the pleated Dockers - good Lord. I'm sure someone in there is sporting some really hot Hush Puppies.
lol8[1].gif

You might also try the Secret Wash point-collar shirt in Easley stripe. I have a similiar looking short sleeve version from a different label that looks good with my combats.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I think I actually have that in blue stripes, from last winter. I wear it quite a bit with my olive officers chinos.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't usually think of buying things like scarves. I've always been the victim of bad Christmas scarf gifts, which the wimminz & kidz in my life seem to think always means a shade of gray. I decided to take it into my own hands this winter and picked this up last weekend: Robert's very own scarf purchase in the vintage hunter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads