• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moral Question

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
No. It's a false choice anyway.
This sounds like what I was trying to say, without so many words. The one posing the question is like the schoolyard bully "punching air" as he walks through a crowd and saying it's your own fault you got in the way of his fists. You don't kill the 1000 innocents (if indeed they are killed); the bully does.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Any discussion on morality requires the limitation of reality and degrees of freedom. Otherwise moral rules could not be formed. Laws are a similar beast.
My daily work requires that I simplify a subset of reality by applying conditions to a hypothetical state precisely to eliminate degrees of freedom. One of the most important aspects of being good at what I do is knowing when you have reduced the problem to a technical contrivance -- a thought experiment -- where the answers have no relation to the reality you are attempting to model. You know it when you are distancing yourself from reality. The feeling you are just puttin on a show with the model. I am getting that same feeling about these sorts of questions. ~ H

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted No. Those thousand people are going to die one day one way or another anyway, and there blood will not be on my hands. The one guy's life who I take - his blood will be on my hands forever.

My system of morals does not impose upon me an obligation to save others from death, but it does impose upon me an obligation not to kill.

Btw - this doesn't mean that there aren't any circumstances under which I would off a motherfucker.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Also, please consider the logical implications of saying you would kill 1 to save 1,000. This implies it is alright to do so because you are saving more than you are killing. Would it follow that you would kill 2 for 1,000? 5 for 1,000? 999 for 1,000? Where does it stop being morally correct and start becoming something of a Communist dictator style genocide? At 435?
It's a fundamentally dishonest question, as infinite hypotheticals tend to be. It can also be turned around - if you have the opportunity to save 1000 people by killing one, and you choose not to, do you not bear responsibility for their deaths? What makes that one man and your moral code more valuable?

emptym

Reaction score
I don't know. I think it would depend on the situation and how I thought/felt in that moment.

I lean toward not killing the person, since I'd be hoping the others wouldn't really have to die.

In many cases, I'd think there'd be the option of sacrificing oneself. And this would almost certainly be the best option.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if i was on of the 1000 to die yes, other wise who cares.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I In many cases, I'd think there'd be the option of sacrificing oneself. And this would almost certainly be the best option.
If you mean "in the pursuit of saving the 1,000 and the 1" then I say we have a winner.... ~ H

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are so full of ****. There are probably a million situations in the world right now where you might be able to save the lives of 1000 people doing less than sacrificing your own life or killing someone, yet you don't do that. The cost of one pair of Edward Greens can probably save the lives of 1000 people in Africa, yet I don't see you shipping the $1400 (or whatever EGs cost) to Africa for food and medicine.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the "save 1000" a guarantee, or merely a projection?
'cause if it is a guarantee, yes, I'd off the 1.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Is the "save 1000" a guarantee, or merely a projection?
'cause if it is a guarantee, yes, I'd off the 1.

Well, that's easy. But what if you had to waterboard him? Could you do that?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess the question is whether you're more concerned with the morality of your actions or the utility of them. I fall on the "morality" side, so, no, I wouldn't murder an innocent to save a thousand lives.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
You guys are so full of ****. There are probably a million situations in the world right now where you might be able to save the lives of 1000 people doing less than sacrificing your own life or killing someone, yet you don't do that. The cost of one pair of Edward Greens can probably save the lives of 1000 people in Africa, yet I don't see you shipping the $1400 (or whatever EGs cost) to Africa for food and medicine.
this is hypothetical. and you know lives of people from first world nations are worht alot more than other lives.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Well, that's easy. But what if you had to waterboard him? Could you do that?

I actually tried to waterboard myself. That is a creepy sensation.

I'd sing like a fuckin' canary were it done to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads