• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moral Question

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
this is hypothetical. and you know lives of people from first world nations are worht alot more than other lives.

Exactly. In a hypothetical situation everyone is the hero. In real life, there are a million things that people can do that are a lot easier than killing one's self or someone else to save 1000 lives, yet most people are not willing to make those sacrifices.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I voted No. Those thousand people are going to die one day one way or another anyway, and there blood will not be on my hands. The one guy's life who I take - his blood will be on my hands forever.

My system of morals does not impose upon me an obligation to save others from death, but it does impose upon me an obligation not to kill.

Btw - this doesn't mean that there aren't any circumstances under which I would off a motherfucker.

I like this
fing02[1].gif

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
If you mean "in the pursuit of saving the 1,000 and the 1" then I say we have a winner....
I do.

You guys are so full of ****. There are probably a million situations in the world right now where you might be able to save the lives of 1000 people doing less than sacrificing your own life or killing someone, yet you don't do that. The cost of one pair of Edward Greens can probably save the lives of 1000 people in Africa, yet I don't see you shipping the $1400 (or whatever EGs cost) to Africa for food and medicine.

Exactly. In a hypothetical situation everyone is the hero. In real life, there are a million things that people can do that are a lot easier than killing one's self or someone else to save 1000 lives, yet most people are not willing to make those sacrifices.
Great points.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Would donating the cost of a pair of EGs "save the lives" or merely "temporarily put off death in the short term" of these people? That's not just semantics, that's the fact of the matter many times.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Would donating the cost of a pair of EGs "save the lives" or merely "temporarily put off death in the short term" of these people? That's not just semantics, that's the fact of the matter many times.

If you donated all the money you spend on stuff that is not essential to your own survival, you could probably keep more than 1000 people somewhere in the world alive in the long term.

The point still stands. There are guys in this thread saying "I would kill someone to save 1000 people" or "I would take my own life to save 1000 people" yet, in reality, they could save 1000 people, for the long haul, by doing much less than killing someone or taking their own life, yet they don't.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a real scenario: a major accident happens. . . building collapses, tanker truck explodes, whatever.

You are an EMT or Paramedic responding to the emergency. . .

Do you spend your time trying to save the life of the one guy that just coded (cardiac arrest from the trauma). . . or do you assume he is dead soon anyway, and work on saving the many lives of the people less injured. . .?

This happens all the time.

In fact, there is a name for it: triage. It is a hard decision to make on the ground.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you donated all the money you spend on stuff that is not essential to your own survival, you could probably keep more than 1000 people somewhere in the world alive in the long term.

If I was in to only having stuff essential to my survival, I'd not work and be able to donate nothing. However, this is a modification of your initial proposition, better known as an ad hoc.
wink.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
depends who I like more, the one guy or the thousand.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted "no."

I think of Cardinal Newman's famous dictum to the effect that it has always been the Church's position that it would be better for the entire population of the world to die in agony than for one individual to commit the least venial sin.

That may be a bit extreme, but I would not take the sin of wilful murder on my head.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I voted "no."

I think of Cardinal Newman's famous dictum to the effect that it has always been the Church's position that it would be better for the entire population of the world to die in agony than for one individual to commit the least venial sin.

That may be a bit extreme, but I would not take the sin of wilful murder on my head.

+1

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to kill a man, just to watch him die.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the question, and subsequent responses ranging from the EG shoe comment to the self-analysis of why one was choosing not to kill the 1, is an interesting examination of the human conscious. It seems we feel morally tied to our actions disproportionately to the degree we are to our inactions.

There's no surprise in reading that less-than-profound sentence but what a terrible statement of humanity. We define ourselves by the riskless lives we lead rather than by the great deeds we have chosen not to perform? Such spineless self-preservation seems to be both supported by evolution and the church so who am I to rebel?

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I've always wanted to kill a man, just to watch him die.

Why not shoot a man in Reno?

I spent a while reading John Stuart Mill, and watching Saving Private Ryan. After tossing around the thorny issue of whether I would kill one guy in Edward Greens (assuming that he'd already led a fulfilling life) to save a thousand square-toed, rubber-soled Walmart brogue wearers (their lives could only improve, no?) I was stuck in a moral deadlock.

Where is the option to vote "potato", damn you?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The other is that all you can control is what you do yourself.

Except that's not a valid viewpoint, given the way you defined the hypothetical.
Anyway, I agree with Huntsman's assessment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads