• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Flannel Jacket with White Trousers

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
As a committed gray odd jacket h8er, I cannot explain why I am lately drawn to the combination of a gray flannel suit jacket (preferably DB) worn with white or off white trousers. No other trouser color tempts me at all.

Below are some AA illustrations that show the look. My other books don't seem to have any photos of real people wearing this. Maybe I missed them, or maybe this was one of those looks that the AA editors pushed in contravention of reality. I concede in advance that the scarf-ascot looks absurd; try to focus on the color combination if you can.

15scenethepalmbeachcasi.jpg

68b115ae7184c887c23b3fd.jpg

dbgreywhitepantscopy7zq.jpg

tenniscourtds1.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks good--but I'm not nearly far along enough in my wardrobe development to justify such narrow-use items.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Looks good--but I'm not nearly far along enough in my wardrobe development to justify such narrow-use items.

Wear the suit jacket you already have, dumb-@$$. Just get the pants.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My other books don't seem to have any photos of real people wearing this.
Maybe because it's a bad idea?

Just kidding. I've seen the grey jacket with white trousers combo in many Japanese magazines. I would not choose a flannel personally, but I think it's a good look.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that I've taken delivery on a tan DB summer suit, I've thought that I could get similar juice out of the jacket. White trs, or charcoal, perhaps. I seem to remember a shot of one of the Kennedy clan sporting a similar rig back in the 40s.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the idea myself.. I just bought a pair of very heavy cotton, white flat front trousers, RLPL.. Now all I need is the flannel coat..
confused.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wear the suit jacket you already have, dumb-@$$. Just get the pants.

1. My jacket looks too suity without patch pockets.
2. The idea of wearing that get-up in warm weather makes me feel profoundly sympathetic to FNB's position on flannel.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
1. My jacket looks too suity without patch pockets.
2. The idea of wearing that get-upl in warm weather makes me feel profoundly sympathetic to FNB's position on flannel.

My flannel DB is flapped and I am still going to do it. Not for hot weather, but on cooler but sunny spring, summer and early fall days.

I will get my light gray linen DB unlined patch, so that will cover summer.

summer334ov2.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Now that I've taken delivery on a tan DB summer suit, I've thought that I could get similar juice out of the jacket.

Absolutely. White, off white, or light to mid-gray:

1930sesquire101.jpg

bibeltbackcopy2xm.jpg

courtpicnicdressyk8.jpg

dbpatch1copy1jj.jpg

gaberdinejacketcopy4nq.jpg

I don't think any dark shade works nearly as well (again, conceding in advance the absurdity of the pics overall):

beachivorydbcopy9aq.jpg

onbeachlyingcc3.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is a great look. I have a VERY fitted grey pinstripe heavy flannel jacket. I should try it out with some white pants/jeans. Unfortunately, the jacket is hot and not appropriate for the summer.

Mike

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I think it is a great look. I have a VERY fitted grey pinstripe heavy flannel jacket. I should try it out with some white pants/jeans.

facepalm.gif

moddey

Reaction score
My flannel DB is flapped and I am still going to do it. Not for hot weather, but on cooler but sunny spring, summer and early fall days.

I will get my light gray linen DB unlined patch, so that will cover summer.

summer334ov2.jpg

will you go 3 patch 6 x 2 with this or 4 x 2? Or, I suppose just two patch 6 x 2. I love the idea of a 3 patch DB but the placement of that upper left button is a bit problematic.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moddey
will you go 3 patch 6 x 2 with this or 4 x 2? Or, I suppose just two patch 6 x 2. I love the idea of a 3 patch DB but the placement of that upper left button is a bit problematic.

Yeah, I agree. I will probably do 6x2 with breast welt, though 4x2 3 patch is a possibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads