• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Hate.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
im 17 earn around 170 or so a week and dont have anything to spend it on except for gas and my parents throw a fit when i want to buy a button-up for more than 30 and jeans for more than 45.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
your mom probably has the best intention and wouldn't want to encourage you to spend on what she believes are frivolous ****. in the meantime, i'd do what L.A. Guy said about you spending your own money and you not compromising your schoolwork.

thefreeman

Reaction score
So, I'm 17. I work marketing for a large Canadian book company. Have for 2 years, part time during the year and fulltime over the summer, mostly photography and ad campaign work.

As such, my income is steady enough that I can justify larger purchases, such as raw denim or Band button-downs. Usually, these fly under my mom's radar, as she simply assume I pick up clothes from places like the Gap or American Apparel, which on occasion I will (**** Canada not having Uniqlo). However, one time she saw a receipt for a pair of Nudies I bought, for close to $200 CAD.

She said to me, and I quote:

"Those jeans better have been ******* raw."

Epic.

Kregg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
your 14... im sorry but you do not need $100+ jeans...

You're an idiot. What's the difference if a person wearing expensive jeans is 14 or 19? or 30? They both wear the jeans the same. It's really just jeans. If he's mature enough to think about how to dress well at a younger age, excellent. If he uses his own money to pay for it, even better. Saying someone has to be a certain age to own a pair of jeans is pretty damn stupid.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kregg
You're an idiot. What's the difference if a person wearing expensive jeans is 14 or 19? or 30? They both wear the jeans the same. It's really just jeans. If he's mature enough to think about how to dress well at a younger age, excellent. If he uses his own money to pay for it, even better. Saying someone has to be a certain age to own a pair of jeans is pretty damn stupid.

no saying that a 14 year old should have $170 pair of jeans is ridiculous... I believe that a 14 year old does not need to drop that kind of cash on jeans... and your not going to change that any day of the week. He is probably going to outgrow the damn things anyhow.

thewallychamp

Reaction score
word of advice young'n

just count what percentage of your income a pair of jeans costs.. then wait 10 years to understand mistake.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
At my age, I could also tell a 14 year old off for spending that amount on a pair of jeans but when I was 15 I spent 1-1/2 months worth of my allowance on a pair of Cole Haan mocs, and obviously it wasn't the end of the world for me.

DrPat

Reaction score
Did you explain to your mother that you will be wearing these jeans every day for 2 years and that one pair of premium raw jeans will last as long as 5 pairs of Gap jeans. Maybe the quality vs. quantity argument will work with her.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doin' Fine.
I've stopped growing. I had some freaky growth spurt, now I'm stuck at a cool 6'1".

I wouldn't rely on the fact that you've grown as evidence for you not growing some more. Rookies in the NBA (who are normally TALL to begin with) still see their height increase at the start of their pro careers.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Damn. A lot of you guys act like you were all super frugal and made nothing but wise decisions with your long term future in mind when you were younger. Lighten' up

+1

Can't expect a kid to really understand or care for that matter about the concept of investment, parents can scream it down their throat but at the end of the day you can't teach maturity. I'm sure they'll look back when they're mature enough and facepalm at their decisions, but until then let them live their unchained lives.

centrix

Reaction score
you can choose what you want to wear, just dont overspend

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads