• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth suit

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suit in a fabric very similar to that one - chunky black-and-white houndstooth tweed. To add to it, the suit has somewhat funky 70s styling, with a very slim cut, patch pockets, substantial lapels and the trousers having a slight flare.

It fits me beautifully, but I generally feel a bit like I'm wearing a costume.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I have a suit in a fabric very similar to that one - chunky black-and-white houndstooth tweed. To add to it, the suit has somewhat funky 70s styling, with a very slim cut, patch pockets, substantial lapels and the trousers having a slight flare.

Sounds delicious.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 - I can dig it

(This message was brought to you by the symbols ^, + and -)

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
024kiss3.jpg

I know there are better pictures of this suit out there, but this is all I can find right now. I can't remember what the colours were like; orange figured prominently, I think.

Winot

Reaction score
Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've picked up a length of Minnis Rangoon (0136) in their sale. I'd like to do something fun with it, and was thinking maybe a DB suit with patch pockets. Any other suggestions?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the idea of doing it as a suit. It's eccentric but fun. Agree generally with mafoofan - you need patch pockets and you have to carry it off with some flair but I would think it pretty cool.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I was thinking this chunky houndstooth would make a good suit. I've only seen houndstooth suits done in smaller, delicate patterns like black/white or brown/tan. Would a full suit break any sacred rules? Too much? I thought it would really flexible: one could wear jacket or trousers as odd separates or the whole rig if he felt boldly "country". Which cloth makers have something like this?
houndstoothdetailcopyna2.jpg

This looks like it is for a sportcoat. For a suit, I would want a smaller pattern. As for which cloth makers, there are lots of options for sportcoats. If you want a suit, I know Lesser does one and I think Minnis, too. When I was looking, the cutter showed me a houndstooth trousering that he had made up as a suit for himself. I can't recall from which merchant, but I do remember that it was a starker black and white contrast than I was looking for myself - check H&S.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FWIW, I remember the caption from that picture; it's not a houndstooth.

I like that suit.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
FWIW, I remember the caption from that picture; it's not a houndstooth. I like that suit.
shepherd check ( but close enough to get the idea) I can't find my houndstooth DB pic.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will

I recently scored a 3 piece like this on E-bay. It is really '70s with some serious flares. Pattern is plaid though. I love it, but want to find a good tailor to modernize it a bit. Mine has standard pockets, complete with ticket pocket.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads