1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Houndstooth suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I was thinking this chunky houndstooth would make a good suit. I've only seen houndstooth suits done in smaller, delicate patterns like black/white or brown/tan. Would a full suit break any sacred rules? Too much? I thought it would really flexible: one could wear jacket or trousers as odd separates or the whole rig if he felt boldly "country". Which cloth makers have something like this?

Check out Holdfast's WAYWT threads , he had a RLPL houndstooth that is very elegant.

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've got a suit that is very much like the photo in the original post, except that it is a bit more greenish-brown. It's a winter, country-style suit made from lambswool and the fabric is quite thick and soft. I like to wear it with a pair of wing-tip, brogued boots.

3. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Sounds delicious.

you crack me up LabelKing [​IMG]

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Thread revival. I am currently waiting on a bold houndstooth RL Polo suit. 3 botton. More traditional in color though, tans and browns. I hope it fits. Looks heavy and was too cool to pass up. I really need to move to somewhere cold, since I seem to favor heavier and more winter oriented clothes.

There also seems to be a plethora of English tweeds and houndstooth suits on US E-Bay as of late. Some really cool stuff to choose from.

Mike

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I was thinking this chunky houndstooth would make a good suit. I've only seen houndstooth suits done in smaller, delicate patterns like black/white or brown/tan. Would a full suit break any sacred rules? Too much? I thought it would really flexible: one could wear jacket or trousers as odd separates or the whole rig if he felt boldly "country". Which cloth makers have something like this?

[​IMG]

i love a good houndstooth. but i do agree that it can be pulled off only as an odd jacket. unless you are some eccentric.

i have this rlpl 100% cashmere in charcoal houndstooth with subtle lavender windowpane sportcoat. pure lux

[​IMG]

6. braised

braised Senior member

I have a suit in a fabric very similar to that one - chunky black-and-white houndstooth tweed. To add to it, the suit has somewhat funky 70s styling, with a very slim cut, patch pockets, substantial lapels and the trousers having a slight flare.

It fits me beautifully, but I generally feel a bit like I'm wearing a costume.

Will, that reminds me of a suit worn by a country cracker at the fair in the film version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It was a big loud houndstooth and best left in the past. No offense, I hope.

B

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

i love a good houndstooth. but i do agree that it can be pulled off only as an odd jacket. unless you are some eccentric.

i have this rlpl 100% cashmere in charcoal houndstooth with subtle lavender windowpane sportcoat. pure lux

[​IMG]

See, I think that should totally be a suit!! I love the loudness!

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really need to move to somewhere cold, since I seem to favor heavier and more winter oriented clothes.

You should move to San Francisco, where it's almost always late Fall. And no one would bat an eye for wearing a houndstooth suit.

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

You should move to San Francisco, where it's almost always late Fall. And no one would bat an eye for wearing a houndstooth suit.

I'm getting this Minnis flannel done up right now as a three piece SB with a DB notch lapel vest:

[​IMG]

I feel that the jacket could work on its own, but we'll see.

- B

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm getting this Minnis flannel done up right now as a three piece SB with a DB notch lapel vest:

[​IMG]

- B

I'm getting it made up as well, but without the vest, naturally. I plan on using the coat separately, and perhaps the pants separately with a sweater if I am traveling and have a casual dinner.

11. voxsartoria

I'm getting it made up as well, but without the vest, naturally. I plan on using the coat separately, and perhaps the pants separately with a sweater if I am traveling and have a casual dinner.

I really do think it can work that way, but I have to see it made up to be sure. Certainly the pants can work on their own.

Are you getting patch hip pockets on yours? I'm not, but if you do, that certainly would help it as an odd jacket.

- B

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really do think it can work that way, but I have to see it made up to be sure. Certainly the pants can work on their own.

Are you getting patch hip pockets on yours? I'm not, but if you do, that certainly would help it as an odd jacket.

- B

No, flaps. I only like patch pockets on very particular suits.

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

[​IMG] Good Evening. Has anyone seen a flower girl who answers to "Eliza"?

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

- B

Triplets!!
    Not sure it is exactly the same cloth - I have it on a card in the office and can check. In any event, it is close enough to be embarrassing.

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Triplets!! Not sure it is exactly the same cloth - I have it on a card in the office and can check. In any event, it is close enough to be embarrassing. \t\t \t \t\t
    When they are completed can you guys get boaters and canes and do a Vaudeville photo especially for FNB? I'll pay for that.

16. sarcasticfolly

sarcasticfolly Senior member

17. voxsartoria

No, flaps. I only like patch pockets on very particular suits.

Wow. Get brown buttons, then...that's what I'm doing.

Mine will have a ticket pocket...you're safe from that.

Triplets!!
    Not sure it is exactly the same cloth - I have it on a card in the office and can check. In any event, it is close enough to be embarrassing.

You are having this made up, or is it in the office fabric museum?

^ I concur.

Me, too. When in doubt, concur.

- B

18. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

I wear a houndstooth suit. Posted pics a while ago and here they are again.
    My humble contribution:
    Houndstooth with Orange OverCheck suit
    White with yellow stripe tie
    Deep blue wool madder tie
    cream silk pocket square with tripple brown pinstripe edging
    and ofcourse suede monkstraps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on London Lounge: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...hp?f=36&t=6226
    Hello,

Got some better pictures today. I think that paying attention to that wise etutee felllow is paying off. Would love your opinions on the suit and the outfit. Shirt has yellow/mustard pinstripes (can be seen in the closeups). Tie is wool. Suit is wool and silk (perfect for NY weather today). Pocket square is cream coloured silk w/dark brown triple stripe at the edges, "woven in England, Macclesfield" and was bought by my father either in 1953 or jus before the blitz days. This looked better when it was made and I was 5 - 8 pounds lighter. But I think it is still very wearable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thick wool tie
    [​IMG]

19. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . .
    You are having this made up, or is it in the office fabric museum?
    - B

It is in process

20. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Great suit Oscarthewild...I couldn't wear it bit if you do have the right attitude ,it can look great...