Houndstooth suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was thinking this chunky houndstooth would make a good suit. I've only seen houndstooth suits done in smaller, delicate patterns like black/white or brown/tan. Would a full suit break any sacred rules? Too much? I thought it would really flexible: one could wear jacket or trousers as odd separates or the whole rig if he felt boldly "country". Which cloth makers have something like this?

[​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

That's a jacketing to me. Not saying you shouldn't, just saying, that's what I see when I look at it.

3. Parker

Fair enough. How about as odd trousers?

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Much worse than a suit.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Much worse than a suit.

I disagree - I think trousers are actually the best option for this cloth

6. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

I can see it as a nice suit just not with the patch pocket. I think the best way to wear it would be as an odd jacket. Odd pants would work too.

7. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Perhaps it's the colours of what you've posted, but I think a suit would be too much. Perhaps the same scale, but still in black and white might work. No matter what, as an 'odd' jacket, it would be great. Were you to get a suit and decide against wearing the trousers all the time, I suppose you wouldn't have wasted everything.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I agree that it makes most sense as a jacket alone and least sense as a pair of odd trousers. But a sporty, casual suit could be interesting. Just make sure you do double stitching and patch pockets.

If you really want to uncage the beast, do the above, but make it double-breasted.

9. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

I have no problem with the size of the houndstooth--I have a suit with a houndstooth pattern almost exactly the same size and its great as a "casual" suit. What won't work well is the color scheme...three colors instead of two. My suit is just dark grey and medium gray.

10. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it's tweed jacketing it's not intended for trousers. The weave won't take the stress.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'd wear a houndstooth suit.

12. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

I'd wear a houndstooth suit.
    What type of cape would you wear with it? Inversion of the following?

[​IMG]

13. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I was thinking this chunky houndstooth would make a good suit. I've only seen houndstooth suits done in smaller, delicate patterns like black/white or brown/tan. Would a full suit break any sacred rules? Too much? I thought it would really flexible: one could wear jacket or trousers as odd separates or the whole rig if he felt boldly "country". Which cloth makers have something like this?

[​IMG]

Houndstooth is a classic pattern and pretty much all the major houses have one. Most of the ones I've seen close to what you posted color-wise have an overcheck.

Houndstooth pants are often worn by professional chef's so you would want to pick your spots for them if you wear them as an odd trouser.

http://www.happychefuniforms.com/800...43&Ref=HCPants

14. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I have a pair in almost this exact same fabric from Zara. They look fine and mostly grey from a few feet back.

If you want a suit in this fabric then go for it. I think patch pockets work much better with it.

15. Parker

If it's tweed jacketing it's not intended for trousers. The weave won't take the stress.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Manton, is that the reasoning this pattern would be worse for odd trou? Or is it just an aesthetic conclusion.

My ulterior motive was to maximize my options. If I did a suit in this pattern, I'd be able to wear both jacket and trou separately. I want some kind of fun plaid or check odd trousers to wear with a blazer or sweater. Thought I could kill two birds with one stone. Maybe I'll just get a sport jacket in some kind of houndstooth and a different cloth for some odd trou. Any suggestions for a strong plaid or something kinda bold and chunky?

Mafoo.. I'm not beast enough for DB tweed. I'm going to leave that to the BlazerSuitâ„¢ experts.