1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Houndstooth suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Irond Will

Irond Will Distinguished Member

I have a suit in a fabric very similar to that one - chunky black-and-white houndstooth tweed. To add to it, the suit has somewhat funky 70s styling, with a very slim cut, patch pockets, substantial lapels and the trousers having a slight flare.

It fits me beautifully, but I generally feel a bit like I'm wearing a costume.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I have a suit in a fabric very similar to that one - chunky black-and-white houndstooth tweed. To add to it, the suit has somewhat funky 70s styling, with a very slim cut, patch pockets, substantial lapels and the trousers having a slight flare.

Sounds delicious.

3. barims

barims Distinguished Member

^ +1 - I can dig it

(This message was brought to you by the symbols ^, + and -)

4. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

I know there are better pictures of this suit out there, but this is all I can find right now. I can't remember what the colours were like; orange figured prominently, I think.

5. Winot

Winot Senior Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've picked up a length of Minnis Rangoon (0136) in their sale. I'd like to do something fun with it, and was thinking maybe a DB suit with patch pockets. Any other suggestions?

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I like the idea of doing it as a suit. It's eccentric but fun. Agree generally with mafoofan - you need patch pockets and you have to carry it off with some flair but I would think it pretty cool.

7. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I was thinking this chunky houndstooth would make a good suit. I've only seen houndstooth suits done in smaller, delicate patterns like black/white or brown/tan. Would a full suit break any sacred rules? Too much? I thought it would really flexible: one could wear jacket or trousers as odd separates or the whole rig if he felt boldly "country". Which cloth makers have something like this? [​IMG]
    This looks like it is for a sportcoat. For a suit, I would want a smaller pattern. As for which cloth makers, there are lots of options for sportcoats. If you want a suit, I know Lesser does one and I think Minnis, too. When I was looking, the cutter showed me a houndstooth trousering that he had made up as a suit for himself. I can't recall from which merchant, but I do remember that it was a starker black and white contrast than I was looking for myself - check H&S.

8. yachtie

yachtie Distinguished Member

Been done- looks cool: [​IMG] Agreed it'd look even better as a DB. [​IMG]

9. dopey

Been done- looks cool:

[​IMG]

I don't like this at all.

10. yachtie

I don't like this at all.
    Philistine. Not for everyone.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

FWIW, I remember the caption from that picture; it's not a houndstooth.

I like that suit.

12. yachtie

FWIW, I remember the caption from that picture; it's not a houndstooth. I like that suit.
    shepherd check ( but close enough to get the idea) I can't find my houndstooth DB pic.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Distinguished Member

I recently scored a 3 piece like this on E-bay. It is really '70s with some serious flares. Pattern is plaid though. I love it, but want to find a good tailor to modernize it a bit. Mine has standard pockets, complete with ticket pocket.

Mike

14. dopey

FWIW, I remember the caption from that picture; it's not a houndstooth.

I like that suit.

Please invest in one. It is something I would like to see.

15. bowtielover

bowtielover Distinguished Member

I think it's nice as a sport coat or something but might be a bit loud as a whole suit.