• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
First, I don't own anything from JAB, so I don't comment on the quality. But here are some reasons that deter me from buying anything from JAB, I hope that you can clear things up:
- Pricing practice: Let me use an example to illustrate my point. A blazer costs $500 originally -> with current BOGO deal, I have 2 for $500 -> with $100 off $500, I now have 2 for $400 -> with 20% corporate discount, I now have 2 for $320. That means, the value of the blazer is $160 a piece. In a business POV, I'm pretty sure that you will not sell things at lower price than its value (note that this is not a clearance), so my conclusion is that a blazer at $500 originally is worth maximum $160 only. That's nearly 70% off. Seriously, why don't you set the price at something like $250 or something, unless you just want to set a high price so that when you have a discount, it looks much more impressive.
- Your items a produced in many developing countries. There are huge difference of workers' skills here. I can go very long on this since I have lived in one of those countries, but probably no need to.

First point - you don't get the Corporate Discount on sale prices...we are BOGO right now on Suits and Sportcoats, so you don't get an extra 20% from that. You would get Corporate Discount of 20% off the regular price...if you bought 1 item. If you buy 2 items, you don't get the corporate discount because the sale (BOGO) is a better deal. You do save $100 off any purchase over $499 until 5/12. It's called a "Loss Leader". We hope you come into the store for the great deals (at or under cost) that we advertise, and then buy shirts, ties, accessories that we are still making a profit on.

Luckily, we are the only men's retailer that posted better than expected earnings in 4th quarter of '08 (our best performance of any quarter in the history of the company - since 1905) and we outperformed that already in 1st quarter of '09...all during this recession. We have not radically changed the sales that we offer, but we have more than doubled our advertising budget during the economic downturn. We are not discounting much more than we usually do at this time of year - but we are making ourselves much more visible...advertising on MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FOXnews, ESPN, etc...

As for the countries that our products are manufactured in...those are many of the same countries that the best fabric mills are in - we use the best workrooms there to assemble our products to save money and keep our prices steady during times that most brands are lowering quality or raising prices...

soupcxan

Reaction score
mcmillian - are there any JAB suits that are cut slimmer than your standard template? I heard that the "Joseph" suit might be slimmer - but the store I went into said they didn't carry it so I couldn't try it on. To give you an idea of my size, last year I bought some JAB suit separates in a 37 jacket and 32 pants. Even then, the shoulders in the jacket are too big (the 36 jacket was too short and too tight). Do you carry anything like Brooks Brother's Fitzgerald, which caters to the tall/skinny crowd with narrow shoulders?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
mcmillian - are there any JAB suits that are cut slimmer than your standard template? I heard that the "Joseph" suit might be slimmer - but the store I went into said they didn't carry it so I couldn't try it on. To give you an idea of my size, last year I bought some JAB suit separates in a 37 jacket and 32 pants. Even then, the shoulders in the jacket are too big (the 36 jacket was too short and too tight). Do you carry anything like Brooks Brother's Fitzgerald, which caters to the tall/skinny crowd with narrow shoulders?

The Joseph would be the cut you are looking for, but I don't think you will find it under a 38. Ask an associate if they know a store near you that has the line to see if they can just have on shipped in for you to look at - it's a great look, but i'm afraid at your size our suit separates might be the only thing that we could do.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
I've got a couple items from there, the biggest being a Signature suit I got on deep discount. It took a lot of tailoring to fit me how I like, but the quality is nice and it's comfortable overall. My only problem is that most everything in store seems to be cut for larger, older gentlemen. If it were cut more to my tastes, I'd have a closet full of stuff from them

goodall

Reaction score
mcmillin, very impressive that you are answering these questions. My question has to do with incredible collar shrinkage in your executive (not Traveler) dress shirts. I bought three 15.5 neck size shirts. I returned them to the JAB store and when the rep measured the neck size, they had shrunk to 14.75 inches after about three months of ownership. Though I take shirts to a laundry, I have never has any dress shirt shrink this much. JAB graciously exchanged the shirts and I now just by 16s in this model. What is your take on this?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Jos. A. Bank to be fine for sports clothes and have found decent golf wear. I have found some of the fabrics in the sports clothes to be a bit heavier than I would prefer. I also did well with a slim cut summer weight wool/linen suit.

For me, the basic problem is that the fabrics on all but the most top end business suits feel stiff and slightly unpleasant. At the Jos. A. Bank price point, I would rather go for a deeply discounted BB or HF on the bay.

Thank you for posting however and I do agree that one could dress from head to toe at JAB and look quite presentable. I also imagine it as being the perfect shop for middle management and higher for whom dressing appropriately is important, but for whom dressing is not a hobby or obsession

glowell222

Reaction score
I have a question about the traveler's crease in the trousers. What is it exactly and how is it done?

Paul Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
I have a question about the traveler's crease in the trousers. What is it exactly and how is it done?

Wondering the exact same thing. I imagine I would want a crease at all times on some of my pants, but wondering if I would want the residual effects, if there are any.

pandemic

Reaction score
I have a two in. drop (42" chest) will I fit into one of your suits?

southbound35

Reaction score
mcmillin,

I was at a JAB store just yesterday looking for some casual socks to match some chinos. I planned to buy 2 pairs of a taupe color and 2 pairs of an olive color. There was a 3 for $30 promotion going on the socks and the salesman wouldn't (said he couldn't) sell the fourth pair at the discounted rate. As a customer, I find this very frustrating. I would understand that I couldn't buy 2 pairs for $20 or 1 pair for $10. But, I don't understand why I couldn't buy 4 for $40. It seems to me once you've met the x of the x for $yyy threshold, you should be able to buy any quantity above x at the discounted rate.

Other than the fit issue (which is what it is--not every store fits every guy), I think the main issue many have with JAB is that the constant changing of promotions leaves one wondering, "If I buy a suit on any given day, is that same suit going to be $200 less next week or might I have gotten a shirt and tie thrown in with it last week?".

Your point regarding the company's operating results is well-taken. It's evident they're doing something right and the average customer is responding well to the promotions. I just wanted to offer some feedback since you offered to listen.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodall
mcmillin, very impressive that you are answering these questions. My question has to do with incredible collar shrinkage in your executive (not Traveler) dress shirts. I bought three 15.5 neck size shirts. I returned them to the JAB store and when the rep measured the neck size, they had shrunk to 14.75 inches after about three months of ownership. Though I take shirts to a laundry, I have never has any dress shirt shrink this much. JAB graciously exchanged the shirts and I now just by 16s in this model. What is your take on this?

Honestly, I don't own any of our Exec shirts. I am surprised they shrank that much - that seems pretty excessive - and I haven't had any of my clients have the same experience. When you take them to the cleaners are they dry cleaned or laundered and pressed?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I find Jos. A. Bank to be fine for sports clothes and have found decent golf wear. I have found some of the fabrics in the sports clothes to be a bit heavier than I would prefer. I also did well with a slim cut summer weight wool/linen suit.

For me, the basic problem is that the fabrics on all but the most top end business suits feel stiff and slightly unpleasant. At the Jos. A. Bank price point, I would rather go for a deeply discounted BB or HF on the bay.

Thank you for posting however and I do agree that one could dress from head to toe at JAB and look quite presentable. I also imagine it as being the perfect shop for middle management and higher for whom dressing appropriately is important, but for whom dressing is not a hobby or obsession

In sportswear, you might like our Stays Cool line better than the Traveler or regular JoS. A. Bank line. The fabrics are much lighter and they help dissipate heat and moisture - while retaining the same wrinkle resistant properties of the Traveler.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222

Originally Posted by wstewart03
Wondering the exact same thing. I imagine I would want a crease at all times on some of my pants, but wondering if I would want the residual effects, if there are any.

The Traveler Crease is a silicone product that is applied in a very narrow bead to the front and back crease of the pant from the crotch to the cuff using a propriety machine in our in-store tailor shops. It is not noticeable while wearing, but is great at keeping a crisp crease in your pant and it lasts the life of the garment. It will last through dry-cleaning, too. There are not any residual effects...it can be removed with a solvent that we have in the store. It is $8 per pant and we can do it on any of our merchandise (except the Traveler line) and I have many clients that have brought in previous purchases from other brands to have done, too. It can be applied to most fabrics - even blends - as long as they contain less than 14% artificial fibers.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmillin
If you are noticing "waviness", take your suit back to a JoS. A. Bank store and have it steamed and pressed to see if that helps. (It's a free, lifetime service on all of our garments...usually a 1-day turnaround.)

Really? That sounds nifty

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
mcmillin,

I was at a JAB store just yesterday looking for some casual socks to match some chinos. I planned to buy 2 pairs of a taupe color and 2 pairs of an olive color. There was a 3 for $30 promotion going on the socks and the salesman wouldn't (said he couldn't) sell the fourth pair at the discounted rate. As a customer, I find this very frustrating. I would understand that I couldn't buy 2 pairs for $20 or 1 pair for $10. But, I don't understand why I couldn't buy 4 for $40. It seems to me once you've met the x of the x for $yyy threshold, you should be able to buy any quantity above x at the discounted rate.

Other than the fit issue (which is what it is--not every store fits every guy), I think the main issue many have with JAB is that the constant changing of promotions leaves one wondering, "If I buy a suit on any given day, is that same suit going to be $200 less next week or might I have gotten a shirt and tie thrown in with it last week?".

Your point regarding the company's operating results is well-taken. It's evident they're doing something right and the average customer is responding well to the promotions. I just wanted to offer some feedback since you offered to listen.

Thanks for all your comments! As a customer, I can understand the frustration of the 2-for or 3-for pricing. He was right in saying that he couldn't manipulate the price of your 4th pair...when we have deal pricing (2/3 for) in the system, it only groups items by that multiple, but i do understand your point. (I know when I am at the grocery store if an item is 2/$5, one item is $2.50...unfortunately our pricing system just doesn't work the same.) That being said, I would certainly hope that if you voiced your concerns to the store manager, they would do anything they could to alleviate your frustration.

About your pricing comment: I guess I can see that...my clients tend to shop when they shop without paying a lot of attention to prices. They know they are going to get a good price and I will always let them know (if I do) about something better coming up.

*nit-picky point* The "buy a suit, get a shirt and tie" promotion is actually from S&K, I think. haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads