• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the point of unbuttoning the sleeve buttons?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To show off?

Nowadays even Banana Republic makes some suits with functional buttons. I never understood why people did this, it just looks silly to me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I used to do it to show off a little.

But now, I like the way 3 buttons look compared to 4. My latest suit acquisition has 3 button non-functional cuffs and I love it.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It used to be a way to show that your jacket was custom made but now some RTW come with that feature

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buttoning all buttons tends to look stuffy and uncomfortable to me. In most contexts, we tend to leave at least one or two buttons unfastened. So, to me, leaving a button undone on your sleeves can nicely echo leaving your bottom jacket button undone.

But I'm in the minority in thinking this.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I still think of it as showing off, which can look silly now that the RTW market has gotten in on the act. I like working buttons as a style choice, but I leave them buttoned. I also feel like the sleeve hangs a bit better with the surgeons cuffs as there is more give and take due to the button holes, but I may be just imagining this.

a-rock

Reaction score
Surgeons cuffs are a must for me because the size and thickness of my forearms fluctuate greatly depending on whether I ate spinach or not.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think when people do it, it's to show off. When companies do it, I think they're trying to imply that the quality of the garment is very high.

Guero

Reaction score
snork[1].gif
Originally Posted by a-rock
Surgeons cuffs are a must for me because the size and thickness of my forearms fluctuate greatly depending on whether I ate spinach or not.

snork[1].gif

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
I think when people do it, it's to show off. When companies do it, I think they're trying to imply that the quality of the garment is very high.

I agree with your first point, but I'm not sure I agree with the second point. Are you saying (a) that the consumer will be fooled into thinking it is a high quality garment or (b) that another person viewing the consumer may be fooled into thinking it is a high quality garment? I don't think that the RTW manufacturers are tricking any purchasers into thinking it is a high quality garment, however, those purchasers might be purchasing with the thought that this will look like a high quality garment when I wear it.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm

+1. And to be clear, there is nothing wrong with those with custom suits to do leave buttons undone, whatever their reason might be. I like the look.

But nothing is going to change the fact that one is wearing a BR suit, functioning button holes or not.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Buttoning all buttons tends to look stuffy and uncomfortable to me.
It looks cool, sometimes, and even feels cool. It's just one more variable you can play with. But the i-gent can't fiddle with his buttons until he reads on the internet that it will be OK. He might be "showing off," instead of just looking like a clothes horse.
sarcasm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads