What is the point of unbuttoning the sleeve buttons?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CharlesAlexander, May 1, 2009.

1. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't understand why there is a need, about once a year or so, to have a new thread about this? It's the same difference between someone who unbuttons just the top button, or the down to the 2nd button of his shirt when not wearing a tie. There needn't be a reason for either choice.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't understand why there is a need, about once a year or so, to have a new thread about this? It's the same difference between someone who unbuttons just the top button, or the down to the 2nd button of his shirt when not wearing a tie. There needn't be a reason for either choice.
    +1

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

I have a jacket with a chipped sleeve button (about a third of the button is missing). As fate would have it, it is the last button. By unbuttoning the chip is hidden - problem solved!

4. KJT

KJT Senior member

I agree with your first point, but I'm not sure I agree with the second point. Are you saying (a) that the consumer will be fooled into thinking it is a high quality garment or (b) that another person viewing the consumer may be fooled into thinking it is a high quality garment? I don't think that the RTW manufacturers are tricking any purchasers into thinking it is a high quality garment, however, those purchasers might be purchasing with the thought that this will look like a high quality garment when I wear it.

Yes. Both (a) and (b). I am positive some people see a Banana Republic suit with surgeon's cuffs and think to themselves that B.R. has really stepped up the quality of its suits (i.e. because a suit has surgeon's cuffs it must be expensive and well made). Others surely see someone wearing a B.R. suit with functional cuffs and automatically think it's something bespoke and super expensive.

I had a recent co-worker who thought J. Crew's blazers and suits were the end all be all of men's wear and the functional cuffs on some of them were his favorite thing to show off. I'm not sure if he was showing them off so that we thought his suits were better than they were or showing them off because he was so excited to be rocking a "quality" suit with functional cuffs. Generally, he dressed pretty well, except for his shoes... all Aldo. Literally all Aldo. Gross.

5. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

+2

6. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

for that matter, WTF is the point of sleeve buttons at all??? what's the point of neckties?? broguing?? jacket lapels?? They're all purely ornamental, right?

BTW: I agree with maomao

7. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

...... In most contexts, we tend to leave at least one or two buttons unfastened. So, to me, leaving a button undone on your sleeves can nicely echo leaving your bottom jacket button undone. But I'm in the minority in thinking this.
    Very interesting thoughts, you have something there.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Buttoning all buttons tends to look stuffy and uncomfortable to me. In most contexts, we tend to leave at least one or two buttons unfastened. So, to me, leaving a button undone on your sleeves can nicely echo leaving your bottom jacket button undone.

But I'm in the minority in thinking this.

+1 It`s just a slightly more relaxed look, that`s all.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I have a linen cotton blend jacket that I roll up the sleeves on in the summer. Looks cool and keeps me cool. [​IMG] However, I don't understand undoing the buttons while keeping the sleeves down.

10. Pseudosyco

Pseudosyco Well-Known Member

for that matter, WTF is the point of sleeve buttons at all??? what's the point of neckties?? broguing?? jacket lapels?? They're all purely ornamental, right?

BTW: I agree with maomao

Broguing was originally employed to allow bog-water to sluice out of the shoe and in to the sod

Lapels were latched at the throat to keep out chill winds

Ties were to make Croatians pretty

11. Guero

Guero Senior member

As a professional rationalizer, my perception is that there is a lot of that going on here. While I might understand the last button being undone for additional comfort or ease, marginal though that may be, I can't understand the all-too-common phenomenon of one, and only one, of the middle buttons being undone. To me, it looks showy. That said, as I move into the world of working buttons, maybe I'll better understand as more of my jackets have this feature. We'll see.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I have all mine buttoned at all time...
    Never thought about letting them open ...Some people do like to leave one unbuttoned to show that their jacket is bespoke. ..

13. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    The way I see it; if your jacket is bespoke / MTM and the option for surgeon cuffs is available you should ask for it. I've always been of the opinion that if something is there, it must be there for a reason; form following function if you will. To emphasize my point how do you guys feel whenever you see a car with non functioning hood scoops?

As most people have already stated I think people opt to leave one or two sleeve buttons undone to show them off which to me is a bit contrived and a bit douchie if you ask me.

Of course if you're a doctor you can leave them undone and rolled up to evoke the message "Relax, I'm a doctor."

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

It's actually more dÃ[​IMG]gagÃ[​IMG] and exclusive to have a bespoke jacket for which one can not only leave one button unbuttoned, but easily remove that button entirely.

In this ultimate expression, one removes the button and shows it to nearby people..."See, bespoke...try that with your shitty Zegna."

- B

15. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

Nobody does it here to signal to other forum members? Like a secret handshake? I personally don't think most people even understand that it means it is bespoke so I think if it is showing off, it is only showing off to a very small number of people. So I still think it has something to do with people who are in the know showing it to others who are also in the know.