• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus GS or BMW 5 Series?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Lets not forget that both Bentley and Bugatti are VW products...the Continental GT and Flying Spur are on the same platform as the Audi A8 and VW Phaeton...the navigation system for the Bentley is also the exact same one use in the VW.

Also there is as well Lamborghini which in the case of the Gallardo has the same platform as an Audi R8 and the electronics from an Audi A8 the same steering wheel from an Audi RS4 and while it was developed from the ground up as a Lamborghini engine the Gallardo engine can be found in both an Audi S8 and S6.

Yes Porsche has the majority stake but they are all still VW products.

justinpba

Reaction score
Never owned a lexus but I do own an e60 5 series, and I love it. The styling's aggressive and the car drives like a car should. It's my second beemer and in between the 2 I had an A4. Let me tell you, I will never own another piece of crap like that again. Everything on that car broke and if you look at used audis vs bmws you'll probably notice they just don't hold up as well. For a true luxury performance sedan I'd go with a BMW!

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
Lets not forget that both Bentley and Bugatti are VW products...the Continental GT and Flying Spur are on the same platform as the Audi A8 and VW Phaeton...the navigation system for the Bentley is also the exact same one use in the VW.

Also there is as well Lamborghini which in the case of the Gallardo has the same platform as an Audi R8 and the electronics from an Audi A8 the same steering wheel from an Audi RS4 and while it was developed from the ground up as a Lamborghini engine the Gallardo engine can be found in both an Audi S8 and S6.

The Reventon is also recently Audi-designed Lamborghini

To the OP: As you said, two very different cars despite competing in the same class. Personally, I've always disliked Lexus (in their short history). My vote is for a 550i. Also avoid the 5GT when it comes out...it's hideous.

The Lexus and BMW are very different and have very different "feels" to them from torque to handling to luxuries inside. Overall BMW wins.

If you are accepting suggestions for other cars, I'd say to get an E63 since you're already familiar with the W211s

JohnD356

Reaction score
I can't stand the paint on the new BMWs. Tons of orange peel. Not just on base 3-series, but on top-of-the-line M's. I just don't understand how quality control lets them through like that. And yes, it's a nitpick, but if you're spending $45k+ on a car, I think its paint should be up to snuff with cheap imports. (and no, I'm not a BMW hater. I have a 5-series and love it, just wish the paint were better)

Wick

Reaction score
Both are great cars...no doubt. In my simple mind it comes down to one question: do you want to ride or do you want to drive? If you want to ride, then go with Lexus. If you want to drive, then go with BMW.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
The Lexus design is pretty dated/boring. If bang for the buck is an issue, look at a G37 sedan -- interior room is almost the same as 5-series and GS (but a little tighter on the headroom). M35/45 is not worth $10K more than G37.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I have a 2005 Q45. If and when Infiniti brings back the mothership, I will buy another.

I have a '92 Q45, it's name is The Mothership.
smile.gif

It's currently parked with several bad injectors.... bought an '08 G35 sedan a year ago.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a GS myself and I would never own a 5 series over it. Here are some pics from clublexus that should convince you. Most of these pics are 06-07 models, which are pretty much identical to the 09's except a small change in the front end, and the turn-signal mirrors.
lexus-001.jpg
Chris-LA-Tunnel-1152.jpg
GS350a.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ True story. My wife wanted to buy one of those Inifiniti mid-size SUVs, I think they were called the FX, a few years back. They looked nice enough, and the interiors were decent. When we took it for a test drive, we both looked at each other when we heard the engine at acceleration and turned around at the next intersection and left. I could never get past that awful sound.

Asterix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
My father jsut got the '09 GS after having an '06 and my mother has the IS250, so we've had them several times. We also test drove the 5 series, MB E350 and Audi A6 and the Q35... our overall thoughts were this..

The Mercedes, BMW and Audi were definitely more similar to each other the the Lexus. They're all sort of the German hard riding performance cars, in which case BMW has the most performance, Mercedes is a bit more luxury and personally I liked the Audi, but we had the same problem, no nearby service stations.

In the end we did and have chosen Lexus again and again because of the excellent service, better prices, and it's much on the luxury side of a car. If performance is your thing then I'd lean more towards BMW, but if you don't really care for the hard ride and want more of the softer side (although the Lexus gs450? has got some umph) then Lexus. Another consideration is price... I believe the GS has come down about 10K and they're low rates right now. Also consider resale value.

As for my personal choice... I find the Lexus a little boring, although they've gotten much better over the years, but I also found the BMW to be a bit, well sort of sparse. Then again, I found the lexus to be a little cluttered with too many buttons and nobs.
If you want the performance, also consider revved up lower lines like the BMW M3, Mercedies C63, the Lexus IsF, or Audi S5...

Edit - I'll also add that we test drove the infinity m35 but it just sounded like an underpowered low-torqued set engine and the overal styling was pretty boring. The g37 is a real looker, haven't driven one though.
As for the Cadillac option mentioned below, i really can't comment as we avoided most of the american cars in general. Other options might be
Acura RL, the Lincoln MkZ? and the Cadillacs...

I'd also highly suggest test driving several options, and especially under non-normal conditions, like at night. I find night driving often reveals many important but overlooked factors.

Excellent response! +1

Asterix

Reaction score

Minor correction:
The Bentley Continental GT & Flying Spur share the same platform and 80% of their parts and electronics only with the VW Phaeton.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asterix
Minor correction:
The Bentley Continental GT & Flying Spur share the same platform and 80% of their parts and electronics only with the VW Phaeton.

...the A8 is on the same platform as the Bentley and the Phaeton...as far as parts in common between the A8 and Bentley I do not really know.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The factory GS will be a little conservative as far as appearance. Personally, I wouldn't have any Lexus, BMW or Mercedes with factory wheels. Wheels make a car. With the right wheel, it can improve the cars appearance (and performance) by ten-fold.

Asterix

Reaction score
...the A8 is on the same platform as the Bentley and the Phaeton...as far as parts in common between the A8 and Bentley I do not really know.

The A8 is NOT on the same platform as the Phaeton or the Bentley Continental (GT or Flying Spur). VAG is currently considering the use of the A8 platform on the 2011 model of the Phaeton to save costs. The Phaeton platform was built exclusively for the Phaeton and was later shared with the Bentley. As far as parts, the A8 doesn't share any with the Bentley or Phaeton aside from the basic engines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads