Lexus GS or BMW 5 Series?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Lawman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Lawman

Lawman Senior member

Thanks, guys. I just don't like the look of the 5 series, despite its rave reviews, incredible agility, etc. Those kabuki eye headlights and wedge-shaped tail light. Yechhhh. I'm not crazy about the Lexus either. The E320 has been pretty much a yawner. Maybe I'll buy a Challenger....

2. username79

username79 Senior member

What about an E92 M-sport? Best looking BMW in a long, long time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't think there is a better all-around (beauty, performance, sportiness, quality, value) car on the market right now.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I just wanted to add another comment about the ride style. What you may find is that even though driving more of a "performance" car is fun in a test drive but if you're doing either long drive cruising or a lot of stop start, a hard drive can actually be a little tiring (from what I hear) since it sort of requires more effort and you have to be so alert all the time. Even though the lexus and drives like it are a bit more cushy and soft when you push them hard, for daily driving they're comfortable.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you might consider at the same price point a suped up version of a lower model, like M3, IsF, CTS-V, etc...

4. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

Thanks, guys. I just don't like the look of the 5 series, despite its rave reviews, incredible agility, etc. Those kabuki eye headlights and wedge-shaped tail light. Yechhhh. I'm not crazy about the Lexus either. The E320 has been pretty much a yawner. Maybe I'll buy a Challenger....

You have a just over 200hp V6 in a very heavy car (brake changes every 30k miles, come on!) I suggest trying an E550 or an E63 if you want the same luxury interior ( I love it) but with much more performance

5. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

No! Chrysler makes bad products...and they steal money which is why they are filing for bankruptcy. A Pontiac G8 would be more fun...A Cadillac CTS-V would be even better.

6. username79

username79 Senior member

You have a just over 200hp V6 in a very heavy car (brake changes every 30k miles, come on!) I suggest trying an E550 or an E63 if you want the same luxury interior ( I love it) but with much more performance

Try the C63 AMG if you really want the opposite of a yawner. That car is a bit scary..

7. justinpba

justinpba Well-Known Member

I don't know where you're located, but another thing to think about is if you want a car with all wheel drive. I had an x-drive 3 series when I lived in Seattle and it was definitely good for that weather. I don't think lexus makes awd GS.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I don't know where you're located, but another thing to think about is if you want a car with all wheel drive. I had an x-drive 3 series when I lived in Seattle and it was definitely good for that weather. I don't think lexus makes awd GS.

They make an AWD GS350.
    My sister has one.

Pricewise, there's a pretty big difference between a GS and a 5.
    I think my sister's car was about $43.5K with AWD and nav.
    That's about what I paid for my Acura RL.
    They're very similar cars. Quiet, nice ride, AWD, nav, lots of toys and absolutely no soul.
    (But I still have my S54 M Coupe for fun.)

I don't think you can get a comparably equiped 5 series for anywhere near that price.
    Leasing probably changes the equation somewhat though.

9. suited

suited Senior member

You obviously have never driven a Buick
    Just drove my grandmother's a few weeks ago. You seemed to be very concerned with performance. Anyone who is seeking a "sports car" and buys any of these cars mentioned is a moron. If I wanted a sports car, I wouldn't be looking at a little baby car like a 5-series or an E-Class. I would have bought a Z06, or something else with some balls. I wanted a 4-door sedan that was extremely reliable and physically appealing to me, that's why I bought the GS.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I just wanted to add another commend about the ride style. What you may find is that even though driving more of a "performance" car is fun in a test drive but if you're doing either long drive cruising or a lot of stop start, a hard drive can actually be a little tiring (from what I hear) since it sort of requires more effort and you have to be so alert all the time. Even though the lexus and drives like it are a bit more cushy and soft when you push them hard, for daily driving they're comfortable.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you might consider at the same price point a suped up version of a lower model, like M3, IsF, CTS-V, etc...

M3 is definitely not in the same price point as a Lexus GS or 5-series BMW, particularly a suped-up M3.

11. username79

username79 Senior member

Just drove my grandmother's a few weeks ago. You seemed to be very concerned with performance. Anyone who is seeking a "sports car" and buys any of these cars mentioned is a moron. If I wanted a sports car, I wouldn't be looking at a little baby car like a 5-series or an E-Class. I would have bought a Z06, or something else with some balls.
    Right. The examples you posted of people dropping their cars on low profile tires and large rims are those of people trying to make their cars evoke far sportier vehicles. Why would you post examples of such if you were not trying to prove that the GS could hold its own with the far more performance oriented BMWs? Your suggestion that there are only two types of cars -- old person commuters like a Lexus or flashy cars for balding mid-life crises like the Corvette is quite asinine. There are cars that are fun to drive AND can be driven to work daily. BMW is perfect for this. Lexus is not, as the fun to drive factor is completely missing. If you want to waft to work in comfort on flat seats, be completely removed from the road and the driving experience, and drive a completely anonymous vehicle, then chose the Lexus. It's not comparable to a five series, which is a very different animal: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] vs. [​IMG] [​IMG] (vomit) = [​IMG] = [​IMG]

12. suited

suited Senior member

I'd take the Lexus on appearance any day of the week. Nice touch choosing an interior shot with a cheap aftermarket plastic floor mat in the Lexus. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

...lets just face it both the BMW and the Lexus are hideous...prehaps you could consider a Jag XJ8

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

...lets just face it both the BMW and the Lexus are hideous...prehaps you could consider a Jag XJ8

lol, you are an idiot..

15. Lawman

Lawman Senior member

I truly believe that they are both pretty unattractive. Although today I got turned on to a 550i with only 2,000 miles on it for $53K.....now that would be a fun care to drive.