1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lexus GS or BMW 5 Series?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Lawman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

The Lexus design is pretty dated/boring. If bang for the buck is an issue, look at a G37 sedan -- interior room is almost the same as 5-series and GS (but a little tighter on the headroom). M35/45 is not worth $10K more than G37.

2. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

I have a 2005 Q45. If and when Infiniti brings back the mothership, I will buy another.

I have a '92 Q45, it's name is The Mothership. [​IMG]

It's currently parked with several bad injectors.... bought an '08 G35 sedan a year ago.

3. suited

suited Senior member

I have a GS myself and I would never own a 5 series over it. Here are some pics from clublexus that should convince you. Most of these pics are 06-07 models, which are pretty much identical to the 09's except a small change in the front end, and the turn-signal mirrors. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

^ True story. My wife wanted to buy one of those Inifiniti mid-size SUVs, I think they were called the FX, a few years back. They looked nice enough, and the interiors were decent. When we took it for a test drive, we both looked at each other when we heard the engine at acceleration and turned around at the next intersection and left. I could never get past that awful sound.

5. Asterix

Asterix Senior member

My father jsut got the '09 GS after having an '06 and my mother has the IS250, so we've had them several times. We also test drove the 5 series, MB E350 and Audi A6 and the Q35... our overall thoughts were this..

The Mercedes, BMW and Audi were definitely more similar to each other the the Lexus. They're all sort of the German hard riding performance cars, in which case BMW has the most performance, Mercedes is a bit more luxury and personally I liked the Audi, but we had the same problem, no nearby service stations.

In the end we did and have chosen Lexus again and again because of the excellent service, better prices, and it's much on the luxury side of a car. If performance is your thing then I'd lean more towards BMW, but if you don't really care for the hard ride and want more of the softer side (although the Lexus gs450? has got some umph) then Lexus. Another consideration is price... I believe the GS has come down about 10K and they're low rates right now. Also consider resale value.

As for my personal choice... I find the Lexus a little boring, although they've gotten much better over the years, but I also found the BMW to be a bit, well sort of sparse. Then again, I found the lexus to be a little cluttered with too many buttons and nobs.
    If you want the performance, also consider revved up lower lines like the BMW M3, Mercedies C63, the Lexus IsF, or Audi S5...

Edit - I'll also add that we test drove the infinity m35 but it just sounded like an underpowered low-torqued set engine and the overal styling was pretty boring. The g37 is a real looker, haven't driven one though.
    As for the Cadillac option mentioned below, i really can't comment as we avoided most of the american cars in general. Other options might be
    Acura RL, the Lincoln MkZ? and the Cadillacs...

I'd also highly suggest test driving several options, and especially under non-normal conditions, like at night. I find night driving often reveals many important but overlooked factors.

Excellent response! +1

6. Asterix

Asterix Senior member

Lets not forget that both Bentley and Bugatti are VW products...the Continental GT and Flying Spur are on the same platform as the Audi A8 and VW Phaeton...the navigation system for the Bentley is also the exact same one use in the VW.

Also there is as well Lamborghini which in the case of the Gallardo has the same platform as an Audi R8 and the electronics from an Audi A8 the same steering wheel from an Audi RS4 and while it was developed from the ground up as a Lamborghini engine the Gallardo engine can be found in both an Audi S8 and S6.

Yes Porsche has the majority stake but they are all still VW products.

Minor correction:
    The Bentley Continental GT & Flying Spur share the same platform and 80% of their parts and electronics only with the VW Phaeton.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Can you not wait for the new E class? It has had good reviews over here.

8. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

Minor correction:
    The Bentley Continental GT & Flying Spur share the same platform and 80% of their parts and electronics only with the VW Phaeton.

...the A8 is on the same platform as the Bentley and the Phaeton...as far as parts in common between the A8 and Bentley I do not really know.

9. suited

suited Senior member

The factory GS will be a little conservative as far as appearance. Personally, I wouldn't have any Lexus, BMW or Mercedes with factory wheels. Wheels make a car. With the right wheel, it can improve the cars appearance (and performance) by ten-fold.

10. Asterix

Asterix Senior member

...the A8 is on the same platform as the Bentley and the Phaeton...as far as parts in common between the A8 and Bentley I do not really know.

The A8 is NOT on the same platform as the Phaeton or the Bentley Continental (GT or Flying Spur). VAG is currently considering the use of the A8 platform on the 2011 model of the Phaeton to save costs. The Phaeton platform was built exclusively for the Phaeton and was later shared with the Bentley. As far as parts, the A8 doesn't share any with the Bentley or Phaeton aside from the basic engines.

11. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

The A8 is NOT on the same platform as the Phaeton or the Bentley Continental (GT or Flying Spur). VAG is currently considering the use of the A8 platform on the 2011 model of the Phaeton to save costs. The Phaeton platform was built exclusively for the Phaeton and was later shared with the Bentley. As far as parts, the A8 doesn't share any with the Bentley or Phaeton aside from the basic engines.
    The VW Phaeton and Bentley are on the D1 platform and the Audi is on the D3 platform....the only difference between the two is steel vs aluminum...all three cars are pigs and they all drive alike they all share basic drive train components.

12. Asterix

Asterix Senior member

The VW Phaeton and Bentley are on the D1 platform and the Audi is on the D3 platform....the only difference between the two is steel vs aluminum...all three cars are pigs and they all drive alike they all share basic drive train components.
    Lol.................. Please stop the misinformation, they are not the same platform. The D1 is a stand-alone platform that was specifically developed for the Phaeton and Bentley under code name VW611. Take the time out to research your points before sharing them because the ones who don't know will innocently carry the misinformation and spread it on. [​IMG] And by the way, it is obvious you have never driven any of them because if you have you would NEVER say they drive alike.

13. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

I'd go with the Lexus. I gave up on BMW when they started making their 3, 5, and 7 series cars look so similar. However, if your daily commute includes the Autobahn, then by all means, go with the BMW.

14. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

Lol.................. Please stop the misinformation, they are not the same platform. The D1 is a stand-alone platform that was specifically developed for the Phaeton and Bentley under code name VW611. Take the time out to research your points before sharing them because the ones who don't know will innocently carry the misinformation and spread it on. [​IMG] And by the way, it is obvious you have never driven any of them because if you have you would NEVER say they drive alike.
    I have driven all of them...My mom briefly had a V8 Phaeton, my dad had an A8 but we tested the A8L as well, and my dad also had a Continental GT...The short wheel base A8 is the best driving of them all the other ones feel enormous and very much alike...the most notable difference is that the Audi has heavier steering and a more taunt ride...none of them are particularly comfortable though.
    [​IMG]

15. sloane3

sloane3 Senior member

I have driven all of them...My mom briefly had a V8 Phaeton, my dad had an A8 but we tested the A8L as well, and my dad also had a Continental GT...The short wheel base A8 is the best driving of them all the other ones feel enormous and very much alike...the most notable difference is that the Audi has heavier steering and a more taunt ride...none of them are particularly comfortable though.

Very nice. Is that a Maser?

The factory GS will be a little conservative as far as appearance. Personally, I wouldn't have any Lexus, BMW or Mercedes with factory wheels. Wheels make a car. With the right wheel, it can improve the cars appearance (and performance) by ten-fold.

AMG and Alpina wheels are nice. I'm not a fan of the hunchback GS.

16. Asterix

Asterix Senior member

I have driven all of them...I have driven the V8 Phaeton, the A8, A8L, and the Continental GT...The short wheel base A8 is the best driving of them all the other ones feel enormous and very much alike...the most notable difference is that the Audi has heavier steering and a more taunt ride...none of them are particularly comfortable though.

Well, I own both an Audi A8L and a W12 Phaeton besides I have had the pleasure of driving my friend's B Conti GT enough times so I am telling you authoritatively that they DO NOT drive alike. Admittedly, in the Phaeton & Conti, anyone that drives either for the first time may think that the steering is 'light' because of the Servotronic steering where the degree of assist of the power steering system increases at very low speeds, and decreases at high speeds. This is a very effective and intelligent design from an engineering point of view, but it takes a little while to get used to.

17. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

Well, I own both an Audi A8L and a W12 Phaeton besides I have had the pleasure of driving my friend's B Conti GT enough times so I am telling you authoritatively that they DO NOT drive alike. Admittedly, in the Phaeton & Conti, anyone that drives either for the first time may think that the steering is 'light' because of the Servotronic steering where the degree of assist of the power steering system increases at very low speeds, and decreases at high speeds. This is a very effective and intelligent design from an engineering point of view, but it takes a little while to get used to.

Yes I agree that variable assist steering is nice but the in the case of the Phaeton and the Bentley I would say it is over assisted. Mercedes and BMW have a similar system and they do not feel as sloppy and loose in low speed maneuvers.

When it comes to the similarity in drive I am just referring to the vague steering at low speeds (Bentley and VW) and the wooden brake feel (all of them).

...the suspensions might be all different but are none the less harsh for a luxury car. Yes there are obvious differences in power between the cars and in this sense they do not drive the same.

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm a fan of the W12 Phaeton. It drives very nicely, but I agree that the steering is a bit over assisted. Nice car.

19. username79

username79 Senior member

I have a GS myself and I would never own a 5 series over it. Here are some pics from clublexus that should convince you. Most of these pics are 06-07 models, which are pretty much identical to the 09's except a small change in the front end, and the turn-signal mirrors. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another Japanese blah-mobile. Looks like a Buick, drives like one too, except quieter. The juvenile bling bling (or homeboy chrome) rims just make it look like someone got their mom's car and is trying to make it look cool.

20. username79

username79 Senior member

I can't stand the paint on the new BMWs. Tons of orange peel. Not just on base 3-series, but on top-of-the-line M's. I just don't understand how quality control lets them through like that. And yes, it's a nitpick, but if you're spending $45k+ on a car, I think its paint should be up to snuff with cheap imports. (and no, I'm not a BMW hater. I have a 5-series and love it, just wish the paint were better)

This is not a nitpick. The black 335s I test drove looked like they'd been painted at Maaco.