• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you give money to people on the street?

JaPo

Reaction score
I subscribe to the Patrick Bateman view of dealing with the homeless, personally.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Usually, just smiling and saying "No, sorry, I don't have any change on me." will resolve the awkwardness of the situation. I always screen people before interacting with them, so I will just ignore the professional beggars, as I have no respect for them or their "profession", but the local junkies I offer a smile and a polite reply while I look them in the eyes. It won't help their situation money-wise or drug-wise, but at least I'm not just another rude person who ignores them or who is afraid to look at them in fear of feeling awkward. I think it's a bit sad how many people just walk by them without even acknowledging that they exist.

I used to be nice about it and use that line, but then a large percentage of them wouldn't take that for an answer. Now if they ask for change, the only reason I'd give it to them is if I the jingling noise in my pocket is annoying me. Otherwise I'll just say no and if they persist, I'll get increasingly more abusive each time they ask.

Can you go to an ATM and get me some money? **** no, and also pay unnecessary surcharges? Homeless people are unnecessary surcharges.

But I'm a veteran! **** off, so am I. Half of those assholes have never been in the military anyway.

But I'm hungry, you don't think I should eat? (Obese homeless man said that to me)

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Give to homeless except to those in Hong Kong. People on the street are professional beggars. They come in on tourist visas from China and make more money begging off the streets of central business/banking districts.

In Sydney a few years back I once saw a poorly dressed beggar pull out a QWERTY phone, and my eyes popped out!!.. stolen??
Edit: also popular in Sydney are those "I need $ for the train fare.."

And giving to large charaties isn't any better either. Look at their financial reports. The best only have a 70% flow through rate from donations to those people in need, and thats if they're good. Most of the money goes to directors, expenses etc.

in summary, altruism is economically inefficient.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once sucked dick for crack.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
I used to be nice about it and use that line, but then a large percentage of them wouldn't take that for an answer. Now if they ask for change, the only reason I'd give it to them is if I the jingling noise in my pocket is annoying me. Otherwise I'll just say no and if they persist, I'll get increasingly more abusive each time they ask.

I guess we don't have that many aggressive beggars. The junkies are usually quite friendly, and we don't really have any homeless people (by definition that is, we do have people who chose to sleep on the street instead of public housing). The only people who have ever given me negative or hostile replies, or who have been overly aggressive and annoying, are the "professional" beggars (usually "foreign workers" from eastern Europe), who I now ignore and never talk to anyway.

I think it's a good rule to always interact with people on at least the same "friendliness" level as they interact with you at, or even a bit higher. Thus, if people are nice to you (i.e. by asking nicely and not being aggressive or threatening), you should be nice to them (not necessarily by giving them money, but at least by showing them friendliness and respect).

Originally Posted by StopPolloition
But I'm hungry, you don't think I should eat? (Obese homeless man said that to me)

"Looks like you're eating all right." would be a suitable reply for that..
wink.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched a show last night on Animal Planet where they spent 1,000,000 dollars and a ton of manpower to cut a path through ice to get 2 whales out to the open sea to prevent them from dying.

Funny how we will spend that much money to help 2 whales, but most people won't give a homeless person a dollar.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I watched a show last night on Animal Planet where they spent 1,000,000 dollars and a ton of manpower to cut a path through ice to get 2 whales out to the open sea to prevent them from dying.

Funny how we will spend that much money to help 2 whales, but most people won't give a homeless person a dollar.

There are tons of public welfare programs and unemployment centers supported in part by large quantities of taxpayer dollars. Also, my opinion is that whales are cooler than homeless people.

Ronald

Reaction score
I give them money every once in a while depending on my mood.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited

Whales are an endangered species.
teacha.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not very often, but my wife does. I prefer to give money to organizations, like a crisis center, that helps people in need.

dacia1300

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
only if they're brutally honest. some old black dude said to me a few weeks ago: "don;t got no kids, don;t got no aids. but i got no home and no money and i needs to get fucked up." how do you argue with that.

oh yeah, and if it's a gypsy near penn asking, i don't give them **** but sometimes spit on them.

totally agree, there are wayyy too many gypsies in the city nowadays, you'd think we are in europe.

singhstyle

Reaction score
Never twice to the same person. I actually gave the bum around the corner from my apartment a half liter of rum and he happily skipped away. Very few of them need money- they need alcohol!

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
i give money to hard working motherfuckers

AKA i tip extra, i'd give 5 dollars to some fresh green card recipient handing out paper towels at a trendy sushi bar before i gave it to someone on the street

i like to see effort, i like to see people trying, and doing hard work myself, can appreciate another doing the same

the rich share with one another(or so it seems)

the poor are taken sympothy upon

and those left in the middle are always somehow forgotten

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
i give money to hard working motherfuckers

AKA i tip extra, i'd give 5 dollars to some fresh green card recipient handing out paper towels at a trendy sushi bar before i gave it to someone on the street

i like to see effort, i like to see people trying, and doing hard work myself, can appreciate another doing the same

the rich share with one another(or so it seems)

the poor are taken sympothy upon

and those left in the middle are always somehow forgotten

TEA PARTY 2010 AM I RIGHT??

RobertN

Reaction score
I once came across a street artist who made the most amazing painting of my girlfriend. I paid the man 100 euro.. you should have seen is face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads