• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you give money to people on the street?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't; but I won't judge them for spending their money on booze or smokes, since that's what I'm doing with my money anyway.

Perhaps I'll start carrying around minibottles of vodka to hand out to the less fortunate.

NOLA1

Reaction score
I once gave 2 homeless guys a bottle of tequila and watched them run down the nearest alley and take turns chugging that thing. They were high-fiving, laughing and hugging the entire time. After they finished the bottle they saw me watching and tried to give me hugs too. I wasn't going to let that happen. If you ever want to see someone in a state of pure bliss, give a homeless man a bottle of booze.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOLA1
I once gave 2 homeless guys a bottle of tequila and watched them run down the nearest alley and take turns chugging that thing. They were high-fiving, laughing and hugging the entire time. After they finished the bottle they saw me watching and tried to give me hugs too. I wasn't going to let that happen. If you ever want to see someone in a state of pure bliss, give a homeless man a bottle of booze.

Sorta like giving cheeseburgers to the obese?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOLA1

You watched two bums finish a whole bottle of tequila behind their backs? What fetish is that?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only classical violinists or other, more soothing musicians.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
In general, no. If they're street performers and I like them (which is rare), then I will. That, or if they entertain me in some other way (in Chicago a hobo eavesdropped on me asking my friend what the Water Tower building was and gave me a mini history lesson on it, so I gave him a couple bucks).

The only time I can remember giving money to one for no reason was on the way to a job interview. I did it for the karma. I didn't get the job.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Only classical violinists or other, more soothing musicians.

ah, like Joshua Bell?

olualbert

Reaction score
It depends on my mood, I generally help people that are less fortunate than I am.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
only if they're brutally honest. some old black dude said to me a few weeks ago: "don;t got no kids, don;t got no aids. but i got no home and no money and i needs to get fucked up." how do you argue with that. oh yeah, and if it's a gypsy near penn asking, i don't give them **** but sometimes spit on them.
Nearly fell off my chair in laughter after that. I very, very rarely give money to beggars. I made an exception last week. Some black guy came up to me at a bus stop and said, "no gay ****, but man you look an awful lot like jimmy (james) dean from those old movies....Can you help a ***** out and give me 60 cents so I can ride this here bus?". He made me laugh, so I gave him the money.

Oski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
"no gay ****, but man you look an awful lot like jimmy (james) dean from those old movies....Can you help a ***** out and give me 60 cents so I can ride this here bus?".

lol8[1].gif

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
And giving to large charaties isn't any better either. Look at their financial reports. The best only have a 70% flow through rate from donations to those people in need, and thats if they're good. Most of the money goes to directors, expenses etc.

You have to also consider that the organisation might be worse of without a top director. It actually takes up a lot of resources to run the bigger charity's and organisations. Also, some organisations are better than other organisations that do more work because they are sustainable and don't rely solely or largely on donations.

In Australia we have a welfare system that gives anybody without a job nearly AUD$250 (US$220) a week. Unfortunately the more children you have the more money you revive, and with a baby bonus of $6k for each child paid out in what used to be a lump sum - all payments are higher if your are of native descent.

Even with this you can encounter around 20 bums begging for food on your daily commute and lunch break in the disgusting conservative business dress of Perth, its like they take bums shelter into consideration when planning buildings.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
its like they take bums shelter into consideration when planning buildings.

Heck, here in Sacramento there's a huge concern about maintaining affordable housing in the downtown area. That means there are street people and bums all over the downtown business district and every time you try and go for lunch or to a meeting at certain government agencies you get hit up for donations.

Of course, this is also the same area that the city wants to turn into a shopping/dining/entertainment district all the while maintaining the affordable housing - brilliant.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
my brother noticed the absence of beggars in Vietnam actually. It surprised him. I live here, and hadn't really noticed how seldom I get asked for change (even compared to Australia).

What you get instead are touts - who will drive you nuts, no doubt, but as my brother pointed out - at least they are trying to earn a decent living, even if by only taking their one dollar, buying three cokes from a supermarket, and then trying to sell them for a dollar each...then returning and buying nine Cokes, and trying to sell those next...

At least they're trying, right?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Heck, here in Sacramento there's a huge concern about maintaining affordable housing in the downtown area. That means there are street people and bums all over the downtown business district and every time you try and go for lunch or to a meeting at certain government agencies you get hit up for donations. Of course, this is also the same area that the city wants to turn into a shopping/dining/entertainment district all the while maintaining the affordable housing - brilliant.
Affordable housing in the city? Perhaps plausible if say a bum can't get his phone line working and they need to make a run into the stockbroker. But really, there are way to many benches here in the 'city', and huge canopy's over the top of them. Even grass in the middle of the 'busiest' part of the city, perfect for a sleep in summer, just hope you don't disturb one of them by having a late night commute from work and walking past. This is prime real estate (in Perth's busiest part of the conservative business dress/Biggest Mall) for bums on summer nights and their hangout for in between move on notices during the day (no shortage of spots).
2qwlahl.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads