• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres a question I don't think I have ever gotten a straight answer on.

Rinsed denims, specifically those that have a "raw" look. It's my understanding that the single rinse process in some higher end denim (RRL and Diesel for instance) sets the indigo and rinsed denim isn't going to fade at the combs and whiskers like a true raw will. Aside from that, if unwashed you should still see the forming and breaking, albiet without the fades, that you would see in a true raw, correct?

I realize a lot of manufacturers throw around the word 'rinse' so it's hardly universal, but assuming the word 'rinse' is being used correctly.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
Heres a question I don't think I have ever gotten a straight answer on. Rinsed denims, specifically those that have a "raw" look. It's my understanding that the single rinse process in some higher end denim (RRL and Diesel for instance) sets the indigo and rinsed denim isn't going to fade at the combs and whiskers like a true raw will.
It doesn't set the indigo, the jeans will still fade. The average pair of jeans WILL fade from wear/tear/washing regardless of whether or not they were raw or washed at time of purchase. "Rinse" and "one-wash" can mean the same thing although you'll see "rinse" more often associated with treated denims and "one-wash" with untreated, shrunk-to-fit, or sanforized-and-washed jeans. This is just a rule of thumb and there is no industry standard which makes things confusing. "True raw" jeans, which I take it you mean as "unwashed sanforized" and "unwashed unsanforized," have a much easier time setting creases to form combs and whiskers than rinsed jeans because they contain more starch. That isn't to say that if you soak a pair of sanforized jeans that you'll significantly reduce your ability to break in a pair of jeans. There are quite a few mall brands that make raw jeans that never seem to fade because they are too soft, either from a lack of starch or because of the type of denim used (lighter ounce as opposed to heavier); the only "real" fading you'll see is from abrasions.
Aside from that, if unwashed you should still see the forming and breaking, albiet without the fades, that you would see in a true raw, correct?
You lost me on this question.

BlueJeanBill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
Earlier today in Kohl's I saw some really dark rigid feeling Levi's 514. I couldn't find anything equivilant on the Levi's website; anyone have some knowledge on these? Worth picking up for $35?

Did they have a teal look to parts of them?

BlueJeanBill

Reaction score
If you like them, sure.

If you want to know if you stumbled on some special raw/one wash denim, you didn't. It's just Levis rigid rinse. $35ish is the normal "sale" price just about everywhere for 501/514/559 etc... I have a pair of 501 in a variant of that rinse and they broke down fairly nicely for a washed denim.

Why people come here for approval prior to purchase blows my mind.

I wouldn't say approval.. more like "is this in style?" because a lot of us have no clue.

I just got these Levi 501s, "medium iconic" color and really love them and they seem to be in style.

s-lv501d.jpg

Langston's website describes them as

The medium iconic finish from Levi'sÂ
00ae.png
is an updated medium stonewash look. The medium cast blue is sanded on the seat and thigh with whiskering at the top of the leg. Subtle grinding at some of the pockets and belt loops help make it look like these have been your everyday jeans for some time now.

http://www.langstons.com/levis-501-jeans-005010427.html
They say they're medium stonewash, or an updated one, but my actual pair of medium stonewash jeans don't look the same. Much ligher/more white streaks. What color is medium iconic closest to?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean it as an "is this in style?" question, really. I was trying to figure out if this was some sort of one-wash variant. Mazda's answer was just what I needed.

BlueJeanBill

Reaction score
Yeah I just meant in general.. People asking for approval, like me sometimes, might be thinking "wow I like this color.. but is it in fashion/style"

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It doesn't set the indigo, the jeans will still fade. The average pair of jeans WILL fade from wear/tear/washing regardless of whether or not they were raw or washed at time of purchase.

"Rinse" and "one-wash" can mean the same thing although you'll see "rinse" more often associated with treated denims and "one-wash" with untreated, shrunk-to-fit, or sanforized-and-washed jeans. This is just a rule of thumb and there is no industry standard which makes things confusing.

"True raw" jeans, which I take it you mean as "unwashed sanforized" and "unwashed unsanforized," have a much easier time setting creases to form combs and whiskers than rinsed jeans because they contain more starch. That isn't to say that if you soak a pair of sanforized jeans that you'll significantly reduce your ability to break in a pair of jeans.

There are quite a few mall brands that make raw jeans that never seem to fade because they are too soft, either from a lack of starch or because of the type of denim used (lighter ounce as opposed to heavier); the only "real" fading you'll see is from abrasions.

You lost me on this question.

You answered my poorly worded second question with your first answer.

I just see "rinse" or "rinsed" occasionally tossed around with the word 'raw' still attached and never could get a clear answer as to what that really meant in respect to how the jeans would break in as compared to an unwashed denim.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
anyone think a camera lens cap fade in the back or front pocket would be too conrtived and pretentious?
Dunno, but you should the consider the possibility of it being mistaken for a snuff can fade.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Can someone please explain in VIVID detail what roping is. I have seen pictures and I have tried making sense of the definitions both here and on SuFu but to be honest I am having a difficult time understanding it.

I know it has to do with chain stitched hems... but for reals.

A) how do you tell if hems are chainstitched
B) how do you tell if your jeans re just fading along the hemline as opposed to 'roping'

I am a
NOOOB
!!!
such a
NOOB!

Kill_switch

Reaction score
Looking to buy a pair of raw denim and I need some advice on a pair with these specifications.

Recently my only pair of jeans I have worn at all for the past 4-5 months has been my Levi's 511's and there are a few things I like about them that I wish to be replicated in the pair of raw denim.

1. The pocket size, I absolutely love and would only want to slightly change the pocket size in my transition.
2. The fit from top to bottom is perfect for my body type.

I have been looking at the brands Sugarcane, APC, Skull, Crate, and Somet with particular interest as I see no pocket stitching which I really do not want. Which one of these brands matches up the best and if I'm missing one which would it be?

EDIT: My current jean size on the Levi's is 32/30. I should probably size down a little on the waist though because they are not as snug as they should be.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Can someone please explain in VIVID detail what roping is. I have seen pictures and I have tried making sense of the definitions both here and on SuFu but to be honest I am having a difficult time understanding it.

I know it has to do with chain stitched hems... but for reals.

A) how do you tell if hems are chainstitched
B) how do you tell if your jeans re just fading along the hemline as opposed to 'roping'

If you've seen pics then you've seen how denim at the hems tends to form peaks and valleys. After months of wear the valleys tend to stay blue while the peaks turn white. This is known as the "roping" effect.

A) Chainstitched (notice the "chain" effect):
s5000-mimi_web.jpg

Non-chainstitched (no chain effect):
P1050670.jpg

B) If your jeans are roping, they'll look as I previously described. If they're just fading then obviously the fades be more generalized than specific. You wouldn't see peaks of white, you'd just see blotches of white.

robba

Reaction score
if I hot wash my APC's after 8 months, will the waist stretch back to before the wash or become they a little tighter?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads