• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margiela S/S 09 and F/W 09

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
super fail
+1. Especially since he's 19 and drinking a beer like he's done it his entire life. I just can't get past kids wearing clothes like this because they inherently look way too immature for them.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread and the back&forth, but having had quite a few MMM pieces over the years, I just think I'm too blagh a personality to make it come out and show what it's got. It's interesting stuff, but subtle, and requires a bit of kitsch or flair to work (IMHO) in the attitude/presentation/style of the wearer, more than most brands. In some ways, this is the genius of MMM, but not for boring/minimal people like me. (haha)

On the right people, I fine MMM works and is very unique. On others (like me), it came off as looking dull and flat and unstellar. Our very own GS is probably the best interpreter of MMM I know or have seen IRL... I could take his same outfit or piece and it where it looks neat on him, just comes across as "meh" on me. SonicVoodoo would be another who I think could rock MMM very easily.

While this sense of "boring on some/ great on others" is true of all brands (to some extent), I find it moreso for MMM. It's sort of a "basic with a key..."

davo10375

Reaction score
Firstly Xenox, read the margiela thread on SZ it will give you a good background on MMM. Personally I feel margiela makes some of the best cut pants in the business, that and his suits always stand out to me. Really like the casualness of the suits (and the way this is presented); brian do you wear yours in similar fashion? Any pictures? I think MMM collections are usually well rounded in that the pants are always great, shirts are known as some of the best, outerwear is spot on and there are usually at least a cool pair of dress shoes and casual shoes which appeal to me each season.

Got to say lately I'm also feeling lookbook presentations as a better option to runway shows; sometimes the clothes are overwhelmed by the runway presentation (sometimes feel geller is this way), which lookbooks present the clothes as the focus.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
Got to say lately I'm also feeling lookbook presentations as a better option to runway shows; sometimes the clothes are overwhelmed by the runway presentation (sometimes feel geller is this way), which lookbooks present the clothes as the focus.

For the Internet maybe, but I think runway shows have a lot more ability to grab industry attention from buyers and others.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
For the Internet maybe, but I think runway shows have a lot more ability to grab industry attention from buyers and others.

It's not like people who do runway shows don't have lookbooks and showrooms (with a fit model) anyway.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
+1. Especially since he's 19 and drinking a beer like he's done it his entire life. I just can't get past kids wearing clothes like this because they inherently look way too immature for them.
+2 To be 100% honest I really do not get down with Snafu. With his Hedi-baiting physique and disgusting bankroll he could be doing so much better.

davo10375

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

For sure, I mean't more in terms of viewing pictures and appreciating the individual pieces, while the runway is usually more focused on a paticular aesthetic or look. Wouldn't mind seeing some designers putting together a lookbook to accompany the runway show in the future.

edit: While I appreciate snafu's pieces and feel he sometimes puts together good looks, usually he seems a bit costumey and unrelaxed in his clothes. I think he needs to try mixing a bit more high and low or atleast picking up some pieces which are less detailed his outfits would come across better. Kinda what you do Fuuma, instead of having a RO tank or a Ann D shirt under a blazer, a plain white t-shirt often works better as it allows a greater focus on the pieces which have interesting characteristics

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Presentations are nice if your schedule is packed and you need the 1-1.5 hr window to make it. If your day is slow you always prefer a show.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I think Snafu from superfuture looked good with them.

Sorry for lookbook link
http://lookbook.nu/look/54261-glory-box

Ok, I understand Brian, it's true I haven't been 'in the game' very long, I don't have anywhere near as much knowledge as you all, but I'm learning and slowly but surely I will get there, I'm confident. Thanks for at least provoking me to learn a bit about MMM.

kid needs a haircut

may as well get pnods goggles

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lurv MMM.

T is from FW08
Jacket from SS09

stp83188wj8.jpg

davo10375

Reaction score
Was going to mention and warloks post reminded me, I appreciate the ability of MMM to be dressed up or down. Jacket is fantastic by the way, did it come in any other colours?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
I lurv MMM. T is from FW08 Jacket from SS09
And you make it work!
smile.gif
Nice... The Sartorial nitpicker in me thinks the sleeves are too long (maybe just the angle), but nevertheless I like the overall look. What shoes?

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
Was going to mention and warloks post reminded me, I appreciate the ability of MMM to be dressed up or down. Jacket is fantastic by the way, did it come in any other colours?
Navy too. It's a cool piece cuz there is extra fabric in certain areas (lapels for instance) that is ironed down to make those pleats. I got a shirt with the same feature.
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
And you make it work!
smile.gif
Nice... The Sartorial nitpicker in me thinks the sleeves are too long (maybe just the angle), but nevertheless I like the overall look. What shoes?

Sleeves would be too long if it were a more formal tailored jacket, but I'm OK with it...in the lookbook shots the sleeves are the same way. Edit: Shoes are Santoni.
Originally Posted by why
It's gotta be the hair and age!
Both too long?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
And you make it work!
smile.gif

That's how MM cuts his jackets, I think it's pretty much unavoidable. To be honest if the sleeves were too short, the large openings might look a bit odd, dont you think? Here's mine (just snapped this pic so bare with me on my strange posture):
margiela.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads