• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Confidence and owning your look will do much more for you than any particular clothing style when it comes to women.

This is the key.

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Do whatever look you like but do it well. If you decide to take route #2, make sure you wear nice suits and not loose fitting suits that make you look like a boy wearing your father's clothes. If you go with route #1, you don't need to buy gap, A&F, Ed Hardy, or whatever the popular store around campus is. You can always put together casual outfits from RL, J. Crew, BR, or whatever stores you want and make it look casual but pride yourself in having nice clothing and wearing it well.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I always go for the girls who like well dressed guys, which for me is spanish, Black, Asian and upper class.

I have found this as well. Somehow, white girls seem to like the A&F-with-baseball-cap guys.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Sounds great, not so good in practical application. Just look at the threads about the Sartorialist photos. People judge us based on our appearance, whether we like it or not. And all of us, to varying degrees, dress to meet society's standards. Fuuma knows this, and I know he adapts his clothing to the settings at hand. Bear in mind, the responses are directed to a guy interested in attracting women, not someone engaged in a Quixote-esque defense of style and fashion.
I have 2 pairs of Corthay with me and wore beat up adidas to go to Berluti (you should have seen the guy's face when he wanted to help me remove my shoes using the horn). Honestly I adapt to a very small degree. The thing is my style being a mix of casual and dressy it usually resonates at least to some degree with savvy urbanites or whatever you wanna call it so I sorta stacked the deck from the start. You could say who will connect with what I wear is pre-programmed so yeah. I don't give a damn about middle america college girls and you know what, I never see any anyway...

milosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Sounds great, not so good in practical application. Just look at the threads about the Sartorialist photos. People judge us based on our appearance, whether we like it or not. And all of us, to varying degrees, dress to meet society's standards. Fuuma knows this, and I know he adapts his clothing to the settings at hand.

Bear in mind, the responses are directed to a guy interested in attracting women, not someone engaged in a Quixote-esque defense of style and fashion.

I don't disagree with you. I just think that if I am interested in clothes, I am better off by wearing what I like than to try to dress like most of the people around me to better blend in.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I think what needs to be taken into consideration here is what the OP is looking for in terms of advice. This forum seems to be populated generally by people who lean toward the non-comformist mentality. This isn't a bad thing at all but the OP is looking for advice on how to attract college girls. As I said before, college is a bastion of conformity (maybe even more so than high school). If his goal is to attract girls, I think he needs to dress like other college kids (casual). Of course, casual has a wide range, but as long as the clothes fit well, he should be fine. College kids all follow the herd mentality for the most part (I believe there was another thread in General Discussion about this). You could say you don't care what others think but the OP clearly IS concerned with what others think so my advice to him would be to dress casual.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Scientific proof that college women prefer the jeans and t-shirt look:

Clothing and Personal Attractiveness of Adolescents Related to Conformity, to Clothing Mode, Peer Acceptance, and Leadership Potential:
Anna M. Creekmore, Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal

The personal attractiveness of 228 high school students and the attractiveness of their clothing, as assessed by college student observers, were related to awareness of, and conformity to, the modal dress, to various types of peer acceptance, to participation in high school activities, and to leadership potential. Significant correlation coefficients indicated that attractive students generally wore attractive clothing, and were aware of, and conformed to, the modal dress. The attractive students were also more likely to be accepted by their peers, to be selected for important roles in the high school situation, and to be more active in school activities than students assessed as less attractive.

Ok, so not really scientific proof, kind of an old paper and this sort of social science is always a bit... but it fits with what I would suspect from other reading.

Do you have the full paper? I can only find the abstract online, though I haven't tried to look terribly hard.

Just from the abstract, I'm not sure whether dressing normally makes you more attractive to college women or whether more attractive guys are more likely to dress normally. I suspect it's some of both, but I'm curious what the research has to say. Plus, I know some weirdoes I love to annoy by pointing out that being normal is good.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmb
dress your age and buy nice stuff. it will be appreciated.

I agree 100%. I don't think guys in their 40s can pull off Hollister, A&F, AE, (especially not Ed Hardy!!!) etc. They would look totally out of place!

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
I think what needs to be taken into consideration here is what the OP is looking for in terms of advice. This forum seems to be populated generally by people who lean toward the non-comformist mentality. This isn't a bad thing at all but the OP is looking for advice on how to attract college girls. As I said before, college is a bastion of conformity (maybe even more so than high school). If his goal is to attract girls, I think he needs to dress like other college kids (casual). Of course, casual has a wide range, but as long as the clothes fit well, he should be fine. College kids all follow the herd mentality for the most part (I believe there was another thread in General Discussion about this). You could say you don't care what others think but the OP clearly IS concerned with what others think so my advice to him would be to dress casual.
I agree. What SFers prefer to see a college guy wear (or what they prefer to wear) doesn't mean that's what college-aged women should like. Casual JCrew/BR would get a lot more attention than a suit & tie. People keep arguing it, but I asked my college-aged (24) wife what she thinks, and she echoes the same.. suits/ties/coats/"high fashion" in college would get you ridiculed.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
I agree. What SFers prefer to see a college guy wear (or what they prefer to wear) doesn't mean that's what college-aged women should like. Casual JCrew/BR would get a lot more attention than a suit & tie.

People keep arguing it, but I asked my college-aged (24) wife what she thinks, and she echoes the same.. suits/ties/coats/"high fashion" in college would get you ridiculed.

To be honest the style you dress in has very little influence in your chance of getting laid (that's what the OP wants, right?) with college girls. Just do it well and be funny, interesting and a great drinking companion and everything should go well.

Talking
Laughing

Everyone knows that...

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And how would your ideal girl be dressed? Maybe you should choose a style that fits with what you expect from a girl in terms of style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads