• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop gym clothes from smelling?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my recent return to the gym comes a return of a long-standing problem - my clothes stink!!
eh.gif

I'm too lazy to hand-wash them after every session so I've tried hanging them to dry in the bathroom on hangers (rather than throwing them in a wet pile to "simmer") and then washing my workout stuff at the end of the week. I thought this would work but as soon as I got back into the gym and broke a sweat, I started smelling my clothing.

Previously, I used to keep my gym clothes in a bucket soaking with a cup of vinegar and then wash them when I was ready. This actually worked fairly well although they'd maintain a bit of the vinegar smell. My gym stuff is cheap Champion C9 stuff from Target with a couple Walmart Starter line thrown in for good measure so don't care too much about any damage the weak acid will do over time.

Other options would be OxyClean or baking soda though I have yet to try either.

What do you guys do to prevent this issue?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same problem. Honestly? I spray febreze on them. This is just to keep the stench down until laundry time, and is not really a way to preserve them through another workout.

When I'm travelling, however I wash my stuff in the hotel bathroom sink after each workout (this was discussed in a previous thread). I learned the hard way after tossing some still-moist workout stuff acumulated through a week away in a plastic bag. When I opened it up after I got home, it was one of the worst smells I've ever encountered

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy more shorts and t-shirts.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Buy more shorts and t-shirts.

They're actually new clothes as when I moved, I didn't bring my gym stuff with me.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** is wrong with you? I work out 6 times a week and sweat like an animal. It all goes into the laundry hamper and quite honestly it doesn't smell. I don't get why some people smell so bad at the gym. I sweat unbelievably when on the treadmill running at 10-12 MPH but I certainly don't start stinking. What do you people eat?

Also, different set of clothes for every workout. Whoever wears something to workout more than once is disgusting.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What the **** is wrong with you? I work out 6 times a week and sweat like an animal. It all goes into the laundry hamper and quite honestly it doesn't smell. I don't get why some people smell so bad at the gym. I sweat unbelievably when on the treadmill running at 10-12 MPH but I certainly don't start stinking. What do you people eat?

I don't know. Maybe we're colonized with different skin flora, have different body chemistries, etc.

I used to eat a lot of garlic but haven't eaten much at all recently so I can rule that out.

Also, different set of clothes for every workout. Whoever wears something to workout more than once is disgusting.
+1

I knew a guy in college who'd leave his clothes in a locker and wear them over and over again. Nasty.

I also know a med student (different school but we did some rotations together) who wears the same scrubs over and over without washing them. He once wore them every day for two weeks. He sees nothing wrong with this despite the fact I told him it's effing nasty and unhygienic.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in college, my 2nd year roomate was a very nice guy. He worked his ass off to get in and was on scholarship for every last penny and he really liked the stay in shape. Unfortunately, the guy ******* smelled of a donkey when he excercised. I fixed this by just telling him he should swim. So, the guy swam laps 7 times a week, stayed in great shape, and didn't ******* smell when he came back (and neither did his clothes).

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Change the shirt and wash the shorts at the end of the week. Thin nylon doesn't really absorb well so it shouldn't smell all that bad.

In case it wasn't clear, I am wearing clean clothes each time.

Anyway, I bought a bucket and I'm soaking the stuff in there with some baking soda to see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll resort to vinegar again.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
In case it wasn't clear, I am wearing clean clothes each time.

Anyway, I bought a bucket and I'm soaking the stuff in there with some baking soda to see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll resort to vinegar again.

then if you're doing that just throw them in the washer and let them sit there until you wash.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apartment building. Laundry in the basement. Don't think they other tenants would appreciate it.
tongue.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we do laundry every day.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Try powdered laundry detergent instead of liquid, esp Arm & Hammer brand (cheap at target). Don't use unscented detergent... the scent will cover up the odor.

If you're washing after each workout, you might want to try cotton t-shirt instead? Synthetic stuff is known to hold a stink after repeated use.

Do you put synthetic stuff in the dryer? Try air drying instead.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Apartment building. Laundry in the basement. Don't think they other tenants would appreciate it.
tongue.gif

Seriously if your laundry clothes smell too bad to let them sit around for a couple of days you have a problem.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Try powdered laundry detergent instead of liquid, esp Arm & Hammer brand (cheap at target). Don't use unscented detergent... the scent will cover up the odor.

I've been using Kirkland liquid stuff from Costco. Almost out and recently bought some Tide unscented liquid. If soaking the stuff in baking soda doesn't work, I'll give the Arm and Hammer powder instead. Thanks for the tip.

If you're washing after each workout, you might want to try cotton t-shirt instead? Synthetic stuff is known to hold a stink after repeated use.
Didn't know that about synthetics. I prefer them to cotton though as they don't get soaked/damp during my workout. I wash once/week.

Do you put synthetic stuff in the dryer? Try air drying instead.
I don't put any of my clothes in the dryer since joining SF; just towels/bedding.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Right now I'm waiting to see how my baking soda experiment will turn out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads