• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PG - That's what I thought. I have a larger head and neck than normal for my chest, so I end up getting collars cut larger / longer / higher slightly to keep a good frame. I'll have to get some shorter collar stays as well.

If herringbone goes under, do you think we could persuade Ethan to do a start up?

kdaust

Reaction score
Well, I thought I might chime in regarding shoes...

After a brief search for some brown shoes before christmas, I finally bought some florsheims.

I looked at a few of the overseas sites like Plal and pediwear, but with the weaker Australian dollar they didn't seem to be that much of a bargain when I can't even try them on.

As an aside, I do feel its kind of sad that I couldn't be any more specific than - brown leather soled lace up - when searching in sydney... If I used the words "brogue" or "medallion" or even "welt", most SA's gave me a weird look

Â
They feel alright to me. Look nice to my untrained eyes. I even got a compliment from the guy at Coombs (in the Strand) when I went to get some leather conditioner. He also convinced me not to try and darken them with polish (even though I wanted only one shade darker).

Don't want to advertise them or anything, but I don't feel like taking photos of my feet at the moment, so here's the link to the florsheim site http://www.florsheim.com.au/www/402/...-1023868_.html

It will be interesting to see how they hold up over time... But I'm happy with them at the moment.

Risque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
Don't want to advertise them or anything, but I don't feel like taking photos of my feet at the moment, so here's the link to the florsheim site http://www.florsheim.com.au/www/402/...-1023868_.html
Nice choice KD, the Florsheims seem to be the pick of the litter when it comes to advertised shoes in Sydney.

I completely agree that the Sydney market is purely driven by 'name', and there is little ability to detect quality craftsmanship. This isn't helped by the fact that clothiers are so quick to employ 18 year old blondes in their stores who have NFI about the product, as opposed to a 60 year old man with a measuring tape around his neck, who could probably tell you the type of grass the cow ate before it turned into leather.

Tardek

Reaction score
My problem with herringbone is that it is currently in a VA and may very well liquidate. Otherwise yes, I do like their things.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
My problem with herringbone is that it is currently in a VA and may very well liquidate. Otherwise yes, I do like their things.

How is that a problem? If they liquidate we get to stock up on some great shirts (and similar shirts can be found at cheaper prices).

Tardek

Reaction score
Exactly. Do I want to purchase, then look a week later and find them in liquidation? And then if they do liquidate, you can only buy their products once.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I suppose we just wait on the sidelines like vultures until it is sorted one way or another
laugh.gif

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
I suppose we just wait on the sidelines like vultures until it is sorted one way or another
laugh.gif

I know, I feel kind of bad about it but I don't want to feel bad for being sensible with my cash.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
I know, I feel kind of bad about it but I don't want to feel bad for being sensible with my cash.

Don't feel bad about it. It's business.

And besides, they really should have gotten to know the market better and understood that the Australian market could not support $200 OTR shirts.

They were really pushing it, and over the last year they raised prices after moving production to Pakistan three something years ago.

Should have lowered prices and brought in a wider range of customers rather than raise them to maintain the brand and hoping to maintain their margins.

Risque

Reaction score
I'm reading the papers and watching the TV for one of those obnoxious liquidation sales ads telling me to make my way to some dusty pavilion where I can pick up some of their shirts for 50% off. Besides, if they eventually end in liquidation, their stuff could get a real collector's item edge to it...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's it ... keep the eyes peeled and put out the message to members if the time comes!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
PG - That's what I thought. I have a larger head and neck than normal for my chest, so I end up getting collars cut larger / longer / higher slightly to keep a good frame. I'll have to get some shorter collar stays as well.

If herringbone goes under, do you think we could persuade Ethan to do a start up?

- I hope so..

How is that a problem? If they liquidate we get to stock up on some great shirts (and similar shirts can be found at cheaper prices).
- unfortunately for me, my size is always in limited supply so if I don;t buy then some other guy or WORSE a SFer will get it
smile.gif
- also the good stuff never seem to make it to the sale as they are snapped up by staff or VIP customers
- finally the good fabrics they use for the bespoke shirt service is in small supply unlike the OTR shirts which are OK, but I prefer to wear my bespoke shirts as the cut & he Thomas Mason fabric is far superior (as one would expect)

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- also the good stuff never seem to make it to the sale as they are snapped up by staff or VIP customers

Am on the list!
bigstar[1].gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad about it. It's business.

And besides, they really should have gotten to know the market better and understood that the Australian market could not support $200 OTR shirts.

Whilst I do think that Herringbone's shirts are a bit overpriced, I don't think that's the reason for their problems, as there are plenty of brands in Australia selling far more poorly-made shirts than those produced by Herringbone for prices ranging from $170 to $200, and they haven't gone into voluntary administration.

Whilst I really have no idea, I suspect that Herringbone simply opened a few too many loss-making stores that cannibalised on each other's sales, and that perhaps the owners took on too much debt in the process of opening the stores. Things probably would have been alright if sales didn't slump in Q4 last year.

I heard yesterday that the VA period has been extended by another 45 days whilst various options are investigated, so Herringbone should still be around for at least another six weeks, and hopefully much longer than that!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Whilst I do think that Herringbone's shirts are a bit overpriced, I don't think that's the reason for their problems, as there are plenty of brands in Australia selling far more poorly-made shirts than those produced by Herringbone for prices ranging from $170 to $200, and they haven't gone into voluntary administration.

Whilst I really have no idea, I suspect that Herringbone simply opened a few too many loss-making stores that cannibalised on each other's sales, and that perhaps the owners took on too much debt in the process of opening the stores. Things probably would have been alright if sales didn't slump in Q4 last year.

I heard yesterday that the VA period has been extended by another 45 days whilst various options are investigated, so Herringbone should still be around for at least another six weeks, and hopefully much longer than that!

I wish them nothing but the best. I really, really, like their ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics