• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, would be good to see the business make it through this rough period.

The more these kinds of stores close down, the less inclined others will be to open up and Australian males will continue to wallow in their slobbery for even longer ...

penguin vic

Reaction score
They'll make it through if they find a buyer (pretty tough call in this climate). No guarantees on what a buyer will do to the place though (aside from shutting more stores).

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Not sure I follow the logic that says: I'm not going to buy a suit from a shop that may soon go out of business.

What were you planning to do: take it back there every 3 months for a grease and oil change?

Or are you really saying: I don't want to own clothes with a 'dead' label on them? But isn't that a little contrary to the anti-label, anti-fashion ethos of this forum? If the clothes are good, isn't that good enough?

In any case, I voted with my credit card yesterday. I went into Herringbone's last surviving shop in the QVB in Sydney and bought (out of the dwindling stock there) a great mid-grey windowpane light-weight wool suit in 38R that fits me like a glove. $1200 full-price and excellent value. Better work on it that on an old Canali I own of a similar design, that must have cost 3 times as much.

I don't suppose that'll pull them out of receivership. But I have an excellent suit, and gave 'em a bit of support...

(Not sure the wife sees it that way, though.)

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CatsEyes
Not sure I follow the logic that says: I'm not going to buy a suit from a shop that may soon go out of business.

What were you planning to do: take it back there every 3 months for a grease and oil change?

Or are you really saying: I don't want to own clothes with a 'dead' label on them? But isn't that a little contrary to the anti-label, anti-fashion ethos of this forum? If the clothes are good, isn't that good enough?

In any case, I voted with my credit card yesterday. I went into Herringbone's last surviving shop in the QVB in Sydney and bought (out of the dwindling stock there) a great mid-grey windowpane light-weight wool suit in 38R that fits me like a glove. $1200 full-price and excellent value. Better work on it that on an old Canali I own of a similar design, that must have cost 3 times as much.

I don't suppose that'll pull them out of receivership. But I have an excellent suit, and gave 'em a bit of support...

(Not sure the wife sees it that way, though.)

- One of my favourites from Herringbone, I wear it once a week & always pack that as well as a nvay suit for my business trips.
- good choice

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Thanks, Phat Guido. Best-fitting OTR jacket, to my taste, I've ever tried on.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Am on the list!
bigstar[1].gif

How does one get on this mysterious "list"?

Whilst I do think that Herringbone's shirts are a bit overpriced, I don't think that's the reason for their problems, as there are plenty of brands in Australia selling far more poorly-made shirts than those produced by Herringbone for prices ranging from $170 to $200, and they haven't gone into voluntary administration.

Whilst I really have no idea, I suspect that Herringbone simply opened a few too many loss-making stores that cannibalised on each other's sales, and that perhaps the owners took on too much debt in the process of opening the stores. Things probably would have been alright if sales didn't slump in Q4 last year.

I heard yesterday that the VA period has been extended by another 45 days whilst various options are investigated, so Herringbone should still be around for at least another six weeks, and hopefully much longer than that!
Good info, thanks.

None of the above. Two words: liquidation sale.

tba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
How does one get on this mysterious "list"?

Just buy something from them. Your details are then added to the mailing list

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They have few things in the closeout store in Commonwealth St Surry Hills (next door to Billy Hyde's Drum Clinic) but it is fair trek there for very little advantage.

CatsEyes

Reaction score
"None of the above. Two words: liquidation sale."

Hmmm. Not sure I'd put my money on it. But good luck...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tba
Just buy something from them. Your details are then added to the mailing list

I'm pretty sure you can add yourself to the list via the website too.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CatsEyes
Not sure I follow the logic that says: I'm not going to buy a suit from a shop that may soon go out of business. What were you planning to do: take it back there every 3 months for a grease and oil change? Or are you really saying: I don't want to own clothes with a 'dead' label on them? But isn't that a little contrary to the anti-label, anti-fashion ethos of this forum? If the clothes are good, isn't that good enough?
It's quite simple, actually. Hand-made suits sometimes behave.... distinctly handmade a few weeks/months down the road. Nothing to do with labels, because let's face it - labels aren't (usually) prominent things on suits anyway. Let me explain. I once picked up a Zegna jacket from the Bourke St DJs (Melbourne) - a month later, a sleeve started to come loose at the sleevehead (it happens rarely, apparently). I brought it back. They did good by me, and fixed it for free. Bang - good as new. Some other small points worth mentioning - I've lost cuff buttons before (and misplaced the spares), and had them replaced free of charge at the store. A small service, but something I really appreciate as horn buttons can be a little difficult to match. I've had advice on storing, cleaning and pressing my suits "from the horses mouth". Tailor/drycleaner recommendations. Free alterations, even a short while down the road after you've overindulged a bit during the festive season. All these, while not much individually, cumulatively push me to hesitate to pay full price for a product from a company that I know to be at serious risk of going out of business. It's almost as though there's no 'point' in building up a relationship with this company, and the only 'deciding factor' remaining is price. Unfortunately, a size 40 Herringbone suit looked tight on me, while the size 42 was loose in the shoulder, so if there are any closing-down sales I needn't apply.
frown.gif

whistler

Reaction score
Bump.

Bit of a struggle finding good-quality shoes here. The best-looking shoes I could find so far are these Florsheims:

IMG_0050.jpg

AUD$400. Made in Spain. Salesperson couldn't tell me many details or whether they are goodyear welted.

Judging by the prices on the Florsheim website, it seems a little pricey.

penguin vic

Reaction score
$400 - yikes! You can get some decent (better) shoes for that price from Pediwear or Plal or Herring provided there's somewhere in Perth where you can try on C&J, Sargent, Loakes etc.

whistler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
$400 - yikes! You can get some decent (better) shoes for that price from Pediwear or Plal or Herring provided there's somewhere in Perth where you can try on C&J, Sargent, Loakes etc.

I've heard Pediwear and Plal mentioned a few times on this forum. I'll have to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads