1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Yeah, would be good to see the business make it through this rough period.

The more these kinds of stores close down, the less inclined others will be to open up and Australian males will continue to wallow in their slobbery for even longer ...

2. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

They'll make it through if they find a buyer (pretty tough call in this climate). No guarantees on what a buyer will do to the place though (aside from shutting more stores).

3. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

Not sure I follow the logic that says: I'm not going to buy a suit from a shop that may soon go out of business.

What were you planning to do: take it back there every 3 months for a grease and oil change?

Or are you really saying: I don't want to own clothes with a 'dead' label on them? But isn't that a little contrary to the anti-label, anti-fashion ethos of this forum? If the clothes are good, isn't that good enough?

In any case, I voted with my credit card yesterday. I went into Herringbone's last surviving shop in the QVB in Sydney and bought (out of the dwindling stock there) a great mid-grey windowpane light-weight wool suit in 38R that fits me like a glove. $1200 full-price and excellent value. Better work on it that on an old Canali I own of a similar design, that must have cost 3 times as much.

I don't suppose that'll pull them out of receivership. But I have an excellent suit, and gave 'em a bit of support...

(Not sure the wife sees it that way, though.)

1 person likes this.
  4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Not sure I follow the logic that says: I'm not going to buy a suit from a shop that may soon go out of business.

What were you planning to do: take it back there every 3 months for a grease and oil change?

Or are you really saying: I don't want to own clothes with a 'dead' label on them? But isn't that a little contrary to the anti-label, anti-fashion ethos of this forum? If the clothes are good, isn't that good enough?

In any case, I voted with my credit card yesterday. I went into Herringbone's last surviving shop in the QVB in Sydney and bought (out of the dwindling stock there) a great mid-grey windowpane light-weight wool suit in 38R that fits me like a glove. $1200 full-price and excellent value. Better work on it that on an old Canali I own of a similar design, that must have cost 3 times as much.

I don't suppose that'll pull them out of receivership. But I have an excellent suit, and gave 'em a bit of support...

(Not sure the wife sees it that way, though.)

- One of my favourites from Herringbone, I wear it once a week & always pack that as well as a nvay suit for my business trips.
    - good choice

5. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

Thanks, Phat Guido. Best-fitting OTR jacket, to my taste, I've ever tried on.

6. Tardek

Tardek Senior member

Am on the list! [​IMG]

How does one get on this mysterious "list"?

Good info, thanks.

None of the above. Two words: liquidation sale.

7. tba

tba Active Member

How does one get on this mysterious "list"?

Just buy something from them. Your details are then added to the mailing list

8. meister

meister Senior member

They have few things in the closeout store in Commonwealth St Surry Hills (next door to Billy Hyde's Drum Clinic) but it is fair trek there for very little advantage.

9. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

"None of the above. Two words: liquidation sale."

Hmmm. Not sure I'd put my money on it. But good luck...

10. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Just buy something from them. Your details are then added to the mailing list

I'm pretty sure you can add yourself to the list via the website too.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Not sure I follow the logic that says: I'm not going to buy a suit from a shop that may soon go out of business. What were you planning to do: take it back there every 3 months for a grease and oil change? Or are you really saying: I don't want to own clothes with a 'dead' label on them? But isn't that a little contrary to the anti-label, anti-fashion ethos of this forum? If the clothes are good, isn't that good enough?
    It's quite simple, actually. Hand-made suits sometimes behave.... distinctly handmade a few weeks/months down the road. Nothing to do with labels, because let's face it - labels aren't (usually) prominent things on suits anyway. Let me explain. I once picked up a Zegna jacket from the Bourke St DJs (Melbourne) - a month later, a sleeve started to come loose at the sleevehead (it happens rarely, apparently). I brought it back. They did good by me, and fixed it for free. Bang - good as new. Some other small points worth mentioning - I've lost cuff buttons before (and misplaced the spares), and had them replaced free of charge at the store. A small service, but something I really appreciate as horn buttons can be a little difficult to match. I've had advice on storing, cleaning and pressing my suits "from the horses mouth". Tailor/drycleaner recommendations. Free alterations, even a short while down the road after you've overindulged a bit during the festive season. All these, while not much individually, cumulatively push me to hesitate to pay full price for a product from a company that I know to be at serious risk of going out of business. It's almost as though there's no 'point' in building up a relationship with this company, and the only 'deciding factor' remaining is price. Unfortunately, a size 40 Herringbone suit looked tight on me, while the size 42 was loose in the shoulder, so if there are any closing-down sales I needn't apply. [​IMG]

12. whistler

whistler Well-Known Member

Bump.

Bit of a struggle finding good-quality shoes here. The best-looking shoes I could find so far are these Florsheims:

[​IMG]

AUD$400. Made in Spain. Salesperson couldn't tell me many details or whether they are goodyear welted.

Judging by the prices on the Florsheim website, it seems a little pricey.

13. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

$400 - yikes! You can get some decent (better) shoes for that price from Pediwear or Plal or Herring provided there's somewhere in Perth where you can try on C&J, Sargent, Loakes etc.

14. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

That's some nasty leather right there :S

15. whistler

$400 - yikes! You can get some decent (better) shoes for that price from Pediwear or Plal or Herring provided there's somewhere in Perth where you can try on C&J, Sargent, Loakes etc.

I've heard Pediwear and Plal mentioned a few times on this forum. I'll have to check them out.

16. GuidoWongolini

I've heard Pediwear and Plal mentioned a few times on this forum. I'll have to check them out.
    +1
    - may I suggest you go into Josephs (why are they so unhappy in there) 0r who ever now stocks Church's & get your size then order from Plal.
    - I got them all delivered within 3 days of ordering!
    - please don't buy those Florsheims.. They are FUGLY

One week after getting them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few months later & still HAPPY FEET
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. whistler

Superb collection!!!! I am definitely inspired...

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Nice collection PG. Once you buy a pair of quality English or Italian shoes, made from top quality leather, you will wonder how you ever survived in the distant colony of Australia, where plasticy 4th-rate clodhoppers extort premium mark-ups...

JH Cutler stock EG, and I believe Henry Bucks also stock C&J - so there are options available if you don't want to purchase online. Having said that, I shudder to think what you would pay for these shoes in those boutiques - perhaps its not as bad as I imagine but if the prices for Churches in Josephs are anything to go by (bearing in mind the models they sell are usually polished binder and only 1/2 leather lined), I'd say you'll be paying a high premium.

Phat Guido: do you have any experience in these stores looking for quality handmade shoes?

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I know that some people argue that it's unethical to order from overseas stockists rather than buying from Australian stores, or that if we don't buy from Australian stores they will cease to stock good clothes and our situation will become even more dire. The latter argument does have some merit.

However, notwithstanding that, I really don't wish to pay $1000 for second rate shoes (such as corrected-grain Churchs) when I can purchase the exact same shoes for about 40% of the price from an internet vendor in the UK or Malaysia. I know that the Australian stockist needs to mark up the price so as to make a profit and so as to compensate for the cost of maintaining an inventory, but the prices of such shoes in Australia really are ridiculous, even bearing in mind that we are a small market.

I would rather risk the cost of returning a shoe to somewhere such as Pediwe@r or P.L@l than pay unreasonably high prices for inferior shoes here. If that means that those merchants cease to stock low-grade Churchs, then so be it...

20. GuidoWongolini

JH Cutler stock EG, and I believe Henry Bucks also stock C&J
    Phat Guido: do you have any experience in these stores looking for quality handmade shoes?

- I used to be a client of Cutler, just never the same when the split happened - to be fair I much prefer the style & service of Karl to John.. Each to their own.
    - HB.. I would only buy socks or hankies from - the service is shite, which is general in Australia.. Though you then have gems such as Ethan @ Herringbone

I know that some people argue that it's unethical to order from overseas stockists rather than buying from Australian stores, or that if we don't buy from Australian stores they will cease to stock good clothes and our situation will become even more dire. The latter argument does have some merit.
    - I the price I could live with if the service was there as I am one to try & give support where & when possible, but the likes of Joseph & Henry Bucks have a lot to learn on the other hand I would never had even walked back into let alone purchase anything from Herringbone if the service was not by Ethan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.