• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trazen101
My favorite is CK summer

That's a nice one... in summer. If you live in a place that gets cold, we need to get you something more "wintery."

Try Viktor & Rolf Antidote, Prada Amber Pour Homme or Infusion d'iris, or either Gucci Pour Homme or Pour Homme II. All of these are easily obtainable at a major department store and have a slightly darker, deeper mood.

In winter, I think the citrus, light top notes of your CK will get lost and come off rather flat. Another summer-y one for you to try in hot weather is Escada Sunset heat men.

sweisman

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Tom Ford's Private Blend Black Violet? What do you think of it? I just ordered a decant, after trying it in a store. I was pretty intriqued by it, as I found it to be pretty unique. I can't decide if it is too feminine though.

agp

Reaction score
Can you guys recommend me a new cologne? Here's what I have used or currently used.

Addidas Moves - mainly used for sports, it's got that soap water sport smell with a sweet scent.

Versace The Dreamer - my favorite cologne out of all, still using it. I love the sweet scent, but I think it's too formal and seductive. Looking for something on the same page but milder.

Versace L'Homme - don't really like this, smells somewhat bitter...

Aqua Di Gio - used to have this, it was good, but everyone wears it, and it smells somewhat plain/generic.

Cool Water - hated it. Just hated it.

Pi - didn't like it. It smelled like old French men.

Bvlgari - forgot which one it was, didn't really like it, it was too strong and smelled like bleach.

I'm looking for something that I can wear everyday in the spring/summer, not too sporty, but not too formal. Not too spicy because I'm still young. Would the Helmut Lang Cuiron be a good choice? Any other choices?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
Has anyone tried Tom Ford's Private Blend Black Violet? What do you think of it? I just ordered a decant, after trying it in a store. I was pretty intriqued by it, as I found it to be pretty unique. I can't decide if it is too feminine though.

The only TF Private Blend I've tried is Amber Absolute. It is awesome and makes me fear for my pocketbook if I ever try any of the others.

Originally Posted by agp
Can you guys recommend me a new cologne? Here's what I have used or currently used.

Addidas Moves - mainly used for sports, it's got that soap water sport smell with a sweet scent.

Versace The Dreamer - my favorite cologne out of all, still using it. I love the sweet scent, but I think it's too formal and seductive. Looking for something on the same page but milder.

Versace L'Homme - don't really like this, smells somewhat bitter...

Aqua Di Gio - used to have this, it was good, but everyone wears it, and it smells somewhat plain/generic.

Cool Water - hated it. Just hated it.

Pi - didn't like it. It smelled like old French men.

Bvlgari - forgot which one it was, didn't really like it, it was too strong and smelled like bleach.

I'm looking for something that I can wear everyday in the spring/summer, not too sporty, but not too formal. Not too spicy because I'm still young. Would the Helmut Lang Cuiron be a good choice? Any other choices?

If you can get your hands on Cuiron, it's good stuff. Also consider John Varvatos (original or vintage), or Nicole Miller for Men (these are all fall/winter scents, though). for Spring/summer, try Platinum Egoiste, or Guerlain Vetiver, or Burt's Bees Bay Rum.

Reaction score
As of right now, I sure it will change when I add more to my collection.

1. Angel Men
2. Terre d'Hermes
3. Dior Homme
4. Black Orchid
5. Lolita Lempicka
6. Bvlgari Black
7. Hanae Mori
8. Rive Gauche
9. Kouros
10. Le Male

jsherman02

Reaction score

They (Tom Ford) recently sent me some samples....and I did not like any of them. I tried the Tabaco Vanille and a few others....

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ive got the TF Tuscan Leather and i get compliments every time i wear it (or at least when someone comes in close enough to smell it). ive had it since may and still am not close to being tired of it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poetic
anyone ever try clive christian?
He has a few different ones... I used to have a small bottle of Clive Christian 1872... for the price, it left me less than impressed and was just "meh." I think he goes for exclusivity and expensive packaging more than brilliant parfumery (like, a $40 fragrance in a $260 crystal flacon bottle); they aren't BAD, but when your advertising gimmick is "The Most Expensive Perfume in the World!!!" it makes me wonder. It seems to appeal to rich footballers and people who want to say that they bought a $300-800 fragrance; because of that, it will smell "good" to them. It would be far down the list of fragrances on which i'd spend my money. Nevertheless, as i said, they aren't "bad" fragrances at all if you find one cheaply or are given one as a gift. I just think that for the $300, I'd rather have any three EdP strength Guerlains, 3 L'artisans or Villoresi, or two Malle, etc.

agp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
For Spring/summer, try Platinum Egoiste, or Guerlain Vetiver, or Burt's Bees Bay Rum.
Can't afford the Platinm Egioste. How is Guerlain's Vetiver? I did some research and it's got good reviews. But I'd like to hear from some everyday people rather than fragrance critics. Is the smell serious and formal? When I looked online, there are two types of GV, one is green and one is yellow, what's the difference between the two?

X-It

Reaction score
#1. Magnifique!

I feel so Mannehathawayfique!
tounge.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp
Can't afford the Platinm Egioste. How is Guerlain's Vetiver? I did some research and it's got good reviews. But I'd like to hear from some everyday people rather than fragrance critics. Is the smell serious and formal? When I looked online, there are two types of GV, one is green and one is yellow, what's the difference between the two?
I've got a bottle of Platinum Egoiste that I'm not using. If you are in the USA, I could sell you for $38, shipping/paypal included. It's 100ml with about 80mls left. It's nice, I just don't use it. Let me know if you want it. Here's a pic: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...c/DSC03104.jpg

agp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I've got a bottle of Platinum Egoiste that I'm not using. If you are in the USA, I could sell you for $38, shipping/paypal included. It's 100ml with about 80mls left. It's nice, I just don't use it.

Let me know if you want it.

Here's a pic:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...c/DSC03104.jpg

Hey, thanks for the offer, but I want to wait till spring actually comes to buy a spring-y fragrance. Thanks again.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp

Guerlain's Vetiver is a soapy green scent. Kind of grassy but clean and fairly crisp. It's versatile and can be worn with a suit, or with boat shoes and shorts.

The green formula is lighter than the older yellow juice, unless they've reformulated yet again. the older juice is a tad heavier with more emphasis on tobacco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads