• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you get "movie star" white teeth?

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
A lot of the whitening things on the market are pretty much gimmicks -- whitening listerine, whitening toothpaste, etc. These things are not going to make any noticeable difference and if they did it would literally take years to happen. Crest Whitestrips do work but again it is going to take weeks at a minimum for any noticeable or remotely significant difference in color.

Porcelain veneers are the best option for "movie-star" white teeth but are very expensive at the same time and still somewhat invasive as far the work to put them in.

The best at-home method of whitening that I know of is to pick up some opalescence online (I've always used the 35% but I guess if you have really sensitive teeth you might want to try one of the lower concentrations), and have your dentist make you a custom set of trays. Pop them in for an hour or so every few days and you will start to notice a difference very quickly. You can buy the thermo-forming trays online (and for substantially cheaper obviously), but in my experience they really don't work as well and it can be painful if the carbamide peroxide sits on you gums rather than your teeth.

zinz

Reaction score
The better way is by pulse ligh or laser in your dentist. (Don't know if is the way you write it in english)

I tried the other options and besides being not healty to the theeth's they neve had good results.

So half hour, 400 bucks and you are done.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the process, $400 is on the low end. I've been quoted anywhere from 4-900. It's really expensive if you want to keep up with it.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Well different opinions here...anyone was ever able to achieve this kind of white? I don't want anything invasive like veneers and nothing ridiculously expansive like laser, so opalescence I guess?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Well different opinions here...anyone was ever able to achieve this kind of white?

Opalescence will do it if your teeth are not permanently damaged. It has to do with the dentin and stuff in the teeth I think.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Opalescence will do it if your teeth are not permanently damaged. It has to do with the dentin and stuff in the teeth I think.

What do you mean permanently damaged? I haven't had any serious staining accidents lately.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean permanently damaged? I haven't had any serious staining accidents lately.
Tetracycline or damaged dentin.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, it's possible that some of those stars got their celebrity in part due to naturally white teeth. Most of them probably have used whitening, but it's easier to get a great result if the natural state is good.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well different opinions here...anyone was ever able to achieve this kind of white? I don't want anything invasive like veneers and nothing ridiculously expansive like laser, so opalescence I guess?

I use Colgate whitening paste and it works great! I have trays of my teeth impressions that my dentist made for me. I put the paste in the trays for a couple of hours and my teeth are pearly white. I get LOADS of complements on it.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
teeth2.jpg

While I suspect plenty of movie stars take measures to whiten their teeth, everything you see on the screen is color corrected. And "corrected" is Orwellian newspeak. I think tooth whiteness is overrated. The whitest teeth should ever be is to match the whites of the eyes; any whiter and they look fake, and / or you look jaundiced.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
While I suspect plenty of movie stars take measures to whiten their teeth, everything you see on the screen is color corrected. And "corrected" is Orwellian newspeak.

I think tooth whiteness is overrated. The whitest teeth should ever be is to match the whites of the eyes; any whiter and they look fake, and / or you look jaundiced.

Yea..tanned girls look kind of fake in the winter but regardless it looks better then people who don't tan.

Casey

Reaction score
My sister's high school chemistry teacher brushes his teeth with pure baking soda, and his teeth are pretty white.

I have seen my teeth get a few shades whiter by using Arm & Hammer whitening toothpaste with the whitening booster. Of course, my teeth are not all the same color and they're still not all the same color, but they definitely look better than they did in the past.

I'm no professional but I also attribute teeth whiteness to what you consume. When I was in China for 2 weeks, I had at least one soda a day and when I got back home, i was disgusted with my teeth.

And just wondering, when you drink Coke and your teeth feel all weird like it's disintegrating, is it actually disintegrating?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads