1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you get "movie star" white teeth?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by likeitaloud, Jan 5, 2009.

1. likeitaloud

likeitaloud Senior member

Well there are A LOT of whitening stuff on the market including Listerine, toothpaste, gels, strips, w.e

I find most of them work well but non really give you that "vivid white" look. Is there anything that actually whitens your teeth to the point where it is pure white like what you see on TV sometimes?

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

None of the DIY stuff will get that white. You need professional grade stuff/help to get the "movie star" white teeth.

3. likeitaloud

None of the DIY stuff will get that white. You need professional grade stuff/help to get the "movie star" white teeth.
    Well what is the professional grade stuff called? And why isn't it for sale in stores?

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

a) Porcelain veneers
    b) Go to an orthodontist for teeth-whitening. No, orthodontists are not in stores.

5. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

Movie stars probably go with vaneers or frequent laser treatments. Most dentist I know use Opalescence bleach or its equivalent.

6. mkerr

mkerr Well-Known Member

my father (orthodontist) likes nitewhite.
    makes patients up a set of appliances / plates (the plastic thingos molded to your teeth) and you pop a few drops of it on the plate, pop it in, and leave in overnight.
    active ingredient is carbamide peroxide.

7. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

my father (orthodontist) likes nitewhite.
    makes patients up a set of appliances / plates (the plastic thingos molded to your teeth) and you pop a few drops of it on the plate, pop it in, and leave in overnight.
    active ingredient is carbamide peroxide.

My dentist also believes Nitewhite works best, but I slept miserably with trays in my mouth. I switched to Daywhite the 2nd and 3rd time.

8. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Is there any lasting harm to your teeth though? Mine are begining to yellow at the ripe age of 20.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Go to a dentist!

10. Spirit of 69

Spirit of 69 Senior member

You punch one in the face while wearing a knuckle duster then pick them up off the pavement and run away with them.....shouting back as you make your get away "Thanks Keanu!"

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

12. why

why Senior member

Opalescence

Most movie stars probably do not have veneers. They're too wonky.

13. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

All the bleaching/laser stuff is just temporary, right?

A few months of coffee and red wine and you're back to where you started? (unless you have veneers)

14. why

why Senior member

All the bleaching/laser stuff is just temporary, right? A few months of coffee and red wine and you're back to where you started?
    I guess...not really. That's like saying working out is temporary and if you binge and sit on the couch all day you'll be back to where you started. I whiten every 2 months or so now that my teeth are white.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Movie stars probably go with vaneers or frequent laser treatments. Most dentist I know use Opalescence bleach or its equivalent.
    +1

16. RedLetterDay

RedLetterDay Senior member

A lot of the whitening things on the market are pretty much gimmicks -- whitening listerine, whitening toothpaste, etc. These things are not going to make any noticeable difference and if they did it would literally take years to happen. Crest Whitestrips do work but again it is going to take weeks at a minimum for any noticeable or remotely significant difference in color.

Porcelain veneers are the best option for "movie-star" white teeth but are very expensive at the same time and still somewhat invasive as far the work to put them in.

The best at-home method of whitening that I know of is to pick up some opalescence online (I've always used the 35% but I guess if you have really sensitive teeth you might want to try one of the lower concentrations), and have your dentist make you a custom set of trays. Pop them in for an hour or so every few days and you will start to notice a difference very quickly. You can buy the thermo-forming trays online (and for substantially cheaper obviously), but in my experience they really don't work as well and it can be painful if the carbamide peroxide sits on you gums rather than your teeth.

17. zinz

zinz Member

The better way is by pulse ligh or laser in your dentist. (Don't know if is the way you write it in english)

I tried the other options and besides being not healty to the theeth's they neve had good results.

So half hour, 400 bucks and you are done.

18. suited

suited Senior member

Depending on the process, $400 is on the low end. I've been quoted anywhere from 4-900. It's really expensive if you want to keep up with it.

19. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

20. likeitaloud

Well different opinions here...anyone was ever able to achieve this kind of white? I don't want anything invasive like veneers and nothing ridiculously expansive like laser, so opalescence I guess?