• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The sport coat

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I don't see how you will be happy with what LS will produce for you, given what you mentioned yuo are looking for, cut-wise.

That is why I come here - to get feedback. Do you know another tailor would could do a good job making a coat under 3k ?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
You just described my last TaT commission in a grey herringbone tweed. I have clearly brought dishonor to my family.

TaT ?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Seriously, I admire the consistency of FNB's logic and it reliance on traditional terms. But this city / country stuff is hopelessly outdated. The trend toward darker pants, sport coats, and outerwear has little to do with the taste of elite gentlemen and their adaptation of country cloth to urban life.

Black and dark navy are increasingly popular with middle-aged men because these men are (a) more vain and more concerned with their bodily appearance than previous generations of men. (b) The standards of male beauty have been revised into the teenage years. Hairy-chested men such as Lyle Waggoner were icons of male health and virility as recently as 30 years ago. Today men compare their bodies to those of bare-chested college boys. This is especially tough since (c) middle-aged men are much more overweight, on average, than they were 30 years ago. Black and dark navy come into desire because if men have learned one thing from women, it's that (d) black and dark navy are slimming.

Vanity + youthful ideal + prevalence of obesity + perception that dark is slimming = growing popularity of very dark clothing.

Even the NFL teams have trended away from kelly green and toward black in the last ten years. Middle-aged football fans prefer the solid black jerseys and jackets to the same in brighter colors.

In the future, we'll all be dressed like in Star Trek. Only, in black instead of yellow and red.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I suggest a different path.

- B

Did you really have to depress me on a splendid Monday afternoon?
frown.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Herringbone pattern is nice for a heavy wool jacket in light grey or tan. As others have said, i think the more citified the jacket the more it looks like an odd man out. I like this jacket alot..
RLsportcoat.jpg

I like this Borrelli tweed too..
borrellitweed.jpg

those look like navy pants to me, and he looks pretty sharp.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am concerned with the navy trouser hate here gentlemen. I wore these last week; are they so wrong?

mon5sv4.jpg

mon2dz7.jpg

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I am concerned with the navy trouser hate here gentlemen. I wore these last week; are they so wrong?

mon5sv4.jpg

mon2dz7.jpg

i think it looks nice

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Nothing wrong, except rampant i-gent-ism. I think there's some folks having flashbacks to the nasty blue serge polyester slacks of their youth.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I think navy pants can look nice and in a way where it is clear they are not suit pants

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads