1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The sport coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AvariceBespoke, Dec 29, 2008.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

It was interesting going into Wilkes Bashford with Manton and iammatt in their tweeds (brown herringbone on Manton, a big plaid with lots of green on iammatt) as well, because the sales staff there probably exemplified FNB's slicker, city look, and I don't think the tweeds looked out of place. Personally, I prefer how M&M dressed because the sales staff (as is probably appropriate for a clothing store) came off as too affected.

If I were the OP, I'd look through some Kiton and Borrelli marketing material to see how they present sportcoats. Zegna's sportcoats are nice, but very conservative and a bit dowdy. And it's definitely a modern thing to assimilate elements from disparate places, so a plaid sportcoat done right (ie. it fits you) will look appropriate in the city.

--Andre

2. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

It was interesting going into Wilkes Bashford with Manton and iammatt in their tweeds (brown herringbone on Manton, a big plaid with lots of green on iammatt) as well, because the sales staff there probably exemplified FNB's slicker, city look, and I don't think the tweeds looked out of place. Personally, I prefer how M&M dressed because the sales staff (as is probably appropriate for a clothing store) came off as too affected.

If I were the OP, I'd look through some Kiton and Borrelli marketing material to see how they present sportcoats. Zegna's sportcoats are nice, but very conservative and a bit dowdy. And it's definitely a modern thing to assimilate elements from disparate places, so a plaid sportcoat done right (ie. it fits you) will look appropriate in the city.

--Andre

what is FNB ?

3. RyanM

RyanM Senior member

^^Film Noir Buff

4. AvariceBespoke

[​IMG]

not bad although i dont like the tie - eredi pisano

5. AvariceBespoke

--Andre

wait so, FNB, Manton, Matt, and yourself all went out in NYC this past weekend?

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

[​IMG]

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

That would be big time.

--Andre

8. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

[​IMG]

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nothing wrong, except rampant i-gent-ism. I think there's some folks having flashbacks to the nasty blue serge polyester slacks of their youth.

My father didn't wear blue pants or black clothing, and would ridicule me for doing ap, so it became kind of ingrained.

As for the people at wilkes, I don't think they had seen a non cashmere jacket in years, and were shocked that mine was wool. There is one really good dresser there, bill, but we didn't see him.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Nothing wrong, except rampant i-gent-ism. I think there's some folks having flashbacks to the nasty blue serge polyester slacks of their youth.

Youth?

- B

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

That would be big time.

--Andre

No, not unless the finest shirtmaker of humanity also showed up.

- B

12. adambparker

- B

"Shirtmaker of humanity." Interesting concept. Do explain.

13. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Youth?

- B

Do tell. [​IMG]

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

"Shirtmaker of humanity." Interesting concept. Do explain.

EZ, he makes shirts out of humans.

15. adambparker

EZ, he makes shirts out of humans.

Better than the alternative, I suppose.

16. AvariceBespoke

- B

ak?

17. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

In the future, we'll all be dressed like in Star Trek. Only, in black instead of yellow and red.
    Not black and white? [​IMG]
    I am concerned with the navy trouser hate here gentlemen. I wore these last week; are they so wrong?
    I dunno. Dickhead that I am, if I saw you in person, I'd sneer inside and think either (a) you are insecure about your body, and wear dark colors like a worried girl who thinks they are fooling people with "slimming" colors, or (b) you think you are "with it," and wear dark colors because fashion spreads and GQ have given you the idea that they are hip. And from a practical standpoint, navy/blue pants are not versatile because blue shirts and navy sport coats are so common. And then there is the shoe question. I like shoes to be darker than the trousers -- seems like the natural order of things -- so dark trousers require black shoes, which are more boring. There are notable exceptions of course. Seriously, you look good in all your pics gnatty, and I thank you for posting them as much as you do. Don't give a damn what I think; I only wanted to answer your question since I have an opinion and you asked for it.

18. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

So, if navy is out, what am I supposed to wear with a grey sportcoat? Is it, to you, unacceptable to wear light blue shirts with navy pants, but acceptable to pair grey jackets with different grey trousers?

And on the shoe issue: So navy trousers "require" black shoes? So all those people wearing brown with their navy suits are doing it wrong?

What are the acceptable colours for pants again? Grey, khaki, and, uh, grey?

Sounds like the infamous Silicon Valley smart casual dress code.

19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

^ Navy is not out. Navy cannot go out. It is a classic color. Just be sure the trousers you buy are good quality so as not to channel the Wackenhut Couture look and you will be fine.

Navy trousers do not require black shoes.

In fact, to keep the guys who think security guard with navy trousers, it is probably best to stay away from black shoes with navy. Period. Just be sure you don't tend towards a band-aid color, or that would be just wrong.

20. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

[​IMG]

I think some of Neofinitia's posts present interesting alternatives to the traditional sport coat that don't seem overly counry or stuffy but at the same time avoid the urban slickness that many of us dislike.