• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The sport coat

DandySF

Reaction score
W.W. Chan made the jacket in the picture above. Maybe you could ask Patrick from Chan to go without shaving for a few days and unbutton his shirt down to there to simulate part of the Tom Ford experience?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
how many yards needed for jacket? 4-5 ?

No, more like 2.5.

$200 is probably on the low side, I really don't know what it costs, but I know what other Harrison's stuff that is not cashmere costs, and it is expensive, so be prepared to pay a lot for this.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
W.W. Chan made the jacket in the picture above. Maybe you could ask Patrick from Chan to go without shaving for a few days and unbutton his shirt down to there to simulate part of the Tom Ford experience?

rolleyes.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Are you talking pants, or jackets? For jackets, I wear every color under the sun, and I don't buy into the idea that tweed is too country, or too old fashioned, and I am not one of these guys who wears nipple pants and braces with his swim trunks. For pants, it is really gray, and no blue pants work.
This isnt a baby and bath water sort of thing, it's a matter of degree, how it's made and how it's worn. Thus, tweeds in traditional colors/patterns aren't too old fashioned, they're simply more old fashioned and country. Tweed fabrics are beautiful but they dont really do much for the climate or lifestyle many of us are subject too. Personally, I think tweed sucks to wear as jacket and pants, far too rough. From a visual or tactile sense, I appreciate them on others.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No, more like 2.5.

$200 is probably on the low side, I really don't know what it costs, but I know what other Harrison's stuff that is not cashmere costs, and it is expensive, so be prepared to pay a lot for this.

gotcha - i'll take a look at all of these things.

first step is finding a tailor that I like to work with as much as my shirtmaker. It seems in the mid-range bespoke LS gets the best reviews. If I want to get 4-5 jackets, it will cost a fortune from Len, RR, WF, and the others in that category.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for more "modern" tweeds, Dormueil's "Scottie" book is nice. Smoother hand and somewhat more citified. I'm not sure you'd get as much use out of the Millionaire book as some here would think. IIRC it was mostly suitings and retail is a good deal more than $200/yd. (unless there's some at tip-top)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
LOL, when Matt and I were in The City last week in our tweeds, three different people came up to us and said "What you are wearing is neither up-to-date nor suited to modern, city living. Even though it is in the 40s today, and those coats are warm, you should be embarassed to be dressed so inappropriately."

I was embarassed. I don't think Matt cared.

However, the weekend before I wore my coat in Napa, and I got many compliments from farmers and vintners who said that I was dressed appropriately for the country but they expressed the hope that I had some Supers in my suitcase for the return to The City.

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
However, the weekend before I wore my coat in Napa, and I got many compliments from farmers and vintners who said that I was dressed appropriately for the country but they expressed the hope that I had some Supers in my suitcase for the return to The City.

And some black shoes!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q. is this a City jacket or a Country jacket? it's of a very popular style. i would say country because the colors are not camouflage for an urban environment. but the style is just as popular in the city. and it appears to declare an allegiance, much like the traditional blazer with school crest, to an urban institution.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that A Y was there in jeans, a sweater and a peacoat, and he was uniformly praised as being correctly dressed for The City and for 2008.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I admire the consistency of FNB's logic and it reliance on traditional terms. But this city / country stuff is hopelessly outdated. The trend toward darker pants, sport coats, and outerwear has little to do with the taste of elite gentlemen and their adaptation of country cloth to urban life. Black and dark navy are increasingly popular with middle-aged men because these men are (a) more vain and more concerned with their bodily appearance than previous generations of men. (b) The standards of male beauty have been revised into the teenage years. Hairy-chested men such as Lyle Waggoner were icons of male health and virility as recently as 30 years ago. Today men compare their bodies to those of bare-chested college boys. This is especially tough since (c) middle-aged men are much more overweight, on average, than they were 30 years ago. Black and dark navy come into desire because if men have learned one thing from women, it's that (d) black and dark navy are slimming. Vanity + youthful ideal + prevalence of obesity + perception that dark is slimming = growing popularity of very dark clothing. Even the NFL teams have trended away from kelly green and toward black in the last ten years. Middle-aged football fans prefer the solid black jerseys and jackets to the same in brighter colors.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
gotcha - i'll take a look at all of these things.

first step is finding a tailor that I like to work with as much as my shirtmaker. It seems in the mid-range bespoke LS gets the best reviews. If I want to get 4-5 jackets, it will cost a fortune from Len, RR, WF, and the others in that category.

I don't see how you will be happy with what LS will produce for you, given what you mentioned yuo are looking for, cut-wise.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Nothing more modern than hacking pockets canted at a 60 degree angle.

Also narrow lapels, a one button front, and make the coat an inch too short.

You just described my last TaT commission in a grey herringbone tweed. I have clearly brought dishonor to my family.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads