• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Dude. If what you wanted all along was merely roped shoulders and excellent fit, and you had $5k to spend, bespoke was always the obvious answer.

I had a flawed perception that TF may be able to achieve the goal.

I made a mistake.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Is it even possible to have the shoulders extended?

Originally Posted by kulata
The suit shoulders is half a size too big, the hips need like half an inch and a lil tapering in the waist will do but it just won't have that V shaped silhouette on your body.

Originally Posted by iammatt
You think the shoulders of the suit are too big?
confused.gif

That's what I think too, but obviously I am not a tailor so I have no idea what actually went wrong.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke

I made a mistake.

You did not make any mistake; it was TF's store sales/tailor. They should be able to fix that suit for you.

zenith

Reaction score
I think you just need to be more vigilant yourself if you want to keep working with them.

Anybody who has gone through alterations at a big luxe store like Neimans or Sak, or ordered high-end MTM for that matter, has experienced exactly what you have.

I learned my lesson the hard way a long time ago. I went to a very well known clothing store in Philadelphia to buy two suits for a new job. The problem was I really needed MTM but could not afford it at the time. The SA told me not to worry. They had expert tailors who could easily fit my RTW. In order to accomodate my upper body, I needed a 48L, but my waist was about a 36. Needless to say, when I went to pick up the suit I was was swimming in the pants. They literally fell to the floor if I didn't hold them up. Yet, the tailor and SA acted like this was perfectly acceptable and completely normal. Being a clueless noob, I just tightened up my belt until I learned better a short time later. I still have both suits in my closet to remind me never to go to that particular store ever again.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far to say that you need bespoke. If you have a pretty average body I would say you can do alright MTM or OTR, you just need to really know what you want and how it should look.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
That's what I think too, but obviously I am not a tailor so I have no idea what actually went wrong.

Isn't TF supposed to be a roped/extended shoulder look? If this is the case, the shoulders are clearly too small, as his arms noticeably just out from them.

mps23

Reaction score
i had a bespoke jacket with the same problem on one of the shoulders. the tailor showed me that it was his mistake of having the upper chest area on the jacket pull at the shoulder, causing that non-straightened shoulder. it's actually a minor procedure if the tailor is competent.

but i'm not a tailor, and i'm not sure that's the exact reason why your shoulders have the "crinkle" problem.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke

I made a mistake.

Not to pile on, but this is another example of staying with OTR if you could find a maker that fits you fairly well. For me, Isaia Base S model fits me pretty well, I would rather get an MTM in their Base S model for 3G before I drop 4 to 5 g for a bespoke suit.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Isn't TF supposed to be a roped/extended shoulder look? If this is the case, the shoulders are clearly too small, as his arms noticeably just out from them.

Structured shoulders, not roped. Not sure what's cause the shoulder problems (the sleevehead ends at his nature shoulderline in the picture). Extending the shoulder a bit his shoulderpads will be dropping...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had MTM and RTW jackets end up a disaster after poor tailoring. Take it back. Don't let them talk you into trying to fix it. If you paid by credit card you can refuse to pay due to poor quality. You are in the drivers seat on this one.

My experience is that if the shoulder isn't right (nice drape and fit) nothing can correct it.

I feel your pain. Good luck!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think M.Fan should go with him to point out the issues to the tailor.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Structured shoulders, not roped. Not sure what's cause the shoulder problems (the sleevehead ends at his nature shoulderline in the picture). Extending the shoulder a bit his shoulderpads will be dropping...
Because his overarm measurement is large, the arms bulge out even if the shoulder is at the "natural shoulder." I think the shoulders on the suit are too narrow in any case, but that is what you get when you don't have something made for your body, and you don't pick a RTW brand that fits you well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I wouldn't go as far to say that you need bespoke. If you have a pretty average body I would say you can do alright MTM or OTR, you just need to really know what you want and how it should look.

Well, heck, how many of us need bespoke? I just assume that a guy wanting to spend $5k on a suit probably wants a nice suit, that's all.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, heck, how many of us need bespoke? I just assume that a guy wanting to spend $5k on a suit probably wants a nice suit, that's all.

I know of one. Is that how much that abomination cost him? 5k? I knew it was pricey but I didn't think that much. Don't really why you would go bespoke unless you had to, I guess that's a different topic completely. I can appreciate certain makers and their particular styling only using bespoke though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads