• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netbooks?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Scanned through those links (admittedly not looking all that carefully) I couldn't see any identical models with a choice between Linux and XP. How much is the typical Windows surcharge?

Get it with Linux and put XP on it later... for "free". You can run OS X on some netbooks with Intel Atom processors.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Optimas
Don't you find the 9" display a bit small? I've tried a few models, and 9" vs 10" seems to really make quite a significant difference.

Not really. I value the size over anything really......in fact, the reason I liked the Dell over the Lenovo was that the Lenovo has a brick charger, while the Dell plugs into a wall.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Scanned through those links (admittedly not looking all that carefully) I couldn't see any identical models with a choice between Linux and XP. How much is the typical Windows surcharge?

Well that's because no netbook vendors make the same exact models for Windows and Linux. Since Linux is free, they can put more into hardware. Since it's open source, changes can be made easily to accommodate new hardware, such as SSD. In Windows XP, using an SSD causes an IO error. This is actually why you can't necessarily get a Linux netbook and install Windows XP later. You'd have to spend time and money to modify the netbook yourself to get it to work.

Some other things to keep in mind is Linux has a completely different design than Windows. Like how it handles swap space and RAM. Linux is much more efficient and you don't need as much RAM to perform the same tasks as when on Windows.

I'll admit something, I typically forget about how some manufacturers don't make drivers for Linux. So you should check the Linux Hardware Compatibility List to see if your existing peripherals can connect with Linux. That is, if you don't have a main PC to take care of that for you.

Originally Posted by dboll
I have the Asus 1000H, upgraded it with 320gb Hard Drive and 2GB of ram. I find it perfect for my uses. For surfing the web, word processing, listening to music, and the occasional other task it performs wonderfully. The 10" screen doesn't bother my eyes, you adjust quickly so soon any other screen looks huge. The keyboard and touchpad are both very good as well. But the best parts are the portability of the small size and the excellent battery life. Nothing like carrying a computer that feels smaller then a spiral notebook and has battery life to last 5+ hours.
For what you do, you don't need 2 GB. This is what I advise people against. Netbooks were never meant to replace a full desktop. Actually, nothing should ever replace a full desktop. Both netbooks and notebooks should merely be a portable extensions to them. Just set up a server and then remotely control it with the netbook or notebook. When I see people have more than 50 GB is a netbook or notebook, I can't help but think how much they're wasting.

Originally Posted by Flamebeur
this is a good thread, I've been thinking about switching over to a 10-13" notebook since i mostly use it for internet/office..

has anyone seen a review article comparing the current options?

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/mow...p+Netbooks.htm

I have more to say, but I have to go socialize now.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is great info, thanks. I am in my third location in three days and three states and my MacBook and 15.4 lenovo is too much computer.

Quick Linux question: Do they make a iPod software for Linux? I just want something easy - cloud computing and a place to charge my iPod.

Also, is it pretty easy to use a Linux OS if I am a Mac guy? I know OSX has a Linux Kernel and all.

Which netbook has the easiest and best GUI?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Powerbook 180c

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Quick Linux question: Do they make a iPod software for Linux? I just want something easy - cloud computing and a place to charge my iPod.

Basically yes, there are some apps, but certainly nothing that keeps it as well organised as iTunes does. See this article for more information.

Note - iPhone and iPod touch - not a lot. Some people were developing a system that would keep it organised wirelessly. Not sure how that is progressing.

Also, is it pretty easy to use a Linux OS if I am a Mac guy? I know OSX has a Linux Kernel and all.
Yeah, it isnt too hard. I am a long term Mac guy, use a Macbook Pro at home, but switched my PC based office to Ubuntu Linux a year ago. The learning curve wasnt that steep, although there was no shortage of grumbling from my staff. You will have to go into the terminal more often even in the easiest of distros than you will in the Mac, but after some playing, it gets less daunting.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm well i'd definitely pick windows since I run/have so much windows software.

But other than that I think 10" screen + long battery life would be key.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
OS X is based on Mach and BSD, which is UNIX-like, like Linux. I would say that the Mac GUI (Graphical User Interface) is built from the assumption that you're going to be using the GUI most of the time, while Linux GUIs are kind of strap-on affairs that will still make you use the command line to do certain things. It will not be as easy to use as OS X for many tasks, especially if you don't want to know what's going on under the hood. The level of refinement of the GUI in OS X is far, far beyond anything Linux has to offer. For that matter, the Windows GUI is leagues ahead of Linux as well. See if you can play with one before you get it --- that's probably the best way to tell if it's right for you. --Andre

Berticus

Reaction score
Use of Linux varies depending on distro and their choices (or lack of) of software. I've always hated Ubuntu, since it's first release. Like any operating system, it's gonna take time to get used to. If you really wanted, you could turn Linux into a Mac clone since the GUI isn't tied down to the rest of the system. There's a lot of different window managers and desktop environments available and all of them are highly themable. I mean look at the evolution of my desktop throughout my linux career if you go to my deviantart page. Note that they're not in order.
Originally Posted by A Y
The level of refinement of the GUI in OS X is far, far beyond anything Linux has to offer. For that matter, the Windows GUI is leagues ahead of Linux as well.
Depends on what you're looking for.

Night Owl

Reaction score
I bought two Eeepc Surf's to give to my nephew and niece this Christmas. I may end up buying one for myself, maybe the 1000 series. I like the idea of the netbook.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearlydavid
Acer Aspire One... If you compare it with the others, none of them come close in terms of cost and specs.

I have one and I love it.

Same here. Even loaded the Windows version of the last.fm client (using WINE) to stream my music while usinbg the machine.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a MSI Wind 6cell. For my day to day use its great and quick enough (with 2gb of ram). I mean I am not using it for Video encoding or Photoshop/Premier like my old desktop, but I am using it for what it was intended for (Net, watching videos on the run, office stuff, etc). There are some minor annoyances, like the fan issue and the fact that they put a ****** sentylics touch pad in here instead of the nice synaptics (like the one that the EEE 1000 uses), it can be swaped out for about $25 to the good one, but its a pain ********** to do.

I wouldnt get the Lenovo as I heard that mofo gets HOT. You may want to hold back just a month or so as the new wave of models will be coming out soon. Basically they will be the same but with more efficient Atom processors.

PS I get around 5-6 hours battery life running in eco mode.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another good reason to wait on Atom-based netbooks is that Nvidia is about to integrate the MCP79 chipset (which has the GeForce 9400M graphics processor that's found in the newest Macbooks) with Atom, greatly increasing their graphics performance.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads