• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Anyone Here Hired A Style Consultant?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
My comments should not be taken as to attempt to minimize the work of the image consultant

But how can he be of assistance to some of us?

Maybe he can't help us or the "Experiment", either because we have the basic fundamental tools to assist us on what image we wish to convey in our profession

If he feels this topic benefits little by his further involvement...so be it, but he will be easily pounced by some claiming he refused to defend his work when called out

A small teaser on his part...say a specific example with some information to help better focus on what type of image Mafoofan needs to conveyed to his clients and opposition

Either that or he'll be yet another punching bag on SF

OK, guys! I did hire mensimageconsuntant a little over a month ago. This was my problem: over the past 2-3 years, I had been buying pieces of clothing that looked good, without any thought to how to actually put things together. The end result is that I have a wardrobe full of clothes (about half of them being black or grey), but when I actually wanted an outfit, I could find few things that would actually go together. I also have a lot of trendy items from the fashion brands. I had some female friends go shopping with me, but they just want you to buy the latest and the greatest - and the more expensive - and they only recommend more trendy items!

I discovered I was spending a lot of money and had to find a more cost-effective way of building a wardrobe. I met a couple of people who are quite style-conscious who taught me the importance of classic, timeless items and, upon further research, I found this forum.

Since I was spending a lot of time and money on my wardrobe and not getting good results, I decided that hiring an image consultant, who could advise me on the basics, would be a good idea. That's when I hired mensimageconsuntant.

He gave me a 3-page analysis of the image he thought I was giving out (which was quite accurate, by the way). He gave me advice on what styles (bold, not-so-bold) and colors would look good given my complexion, what to stay away from, pants, blazers, shoes, etc. Given that I an a SF newbie, I think the $40 was well-spent from my perspective.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
OK, guys! I did hire mensimageconsuntant a little over a month ago. This was my problem: over the past 2-3 years, I had been buying pieces of clothing that looked good, without any thought to how to actually put things together. The end result is that I have a wardrobe full of clothes (about half of them being black or grey), but when I actually wanted an outfit, I could find few things that would actually go together. I also have a lot of trendy items from the fashion brands. I had some female friends go shopping with me, but they just want you to buy the latest and the greatest - and the more expensive - and they only recommend more trendy items!

I discovered I was spending a lot of money and had to find a more cost-effective way of building a wardrobe. I met a couple of people who are quite style-conscious who taught me the importance of classic, timeless items and, upon further research, I found this forum.

Since I was spending a lot of time and money on my wardrobe and not getting good results, I decided that hiring an image consultant, who could advise me on the basics, would be a good idea. That's when I hired mensimageconsuntant.

He gave me a 3-page analysis of the image he thought I was giving out (which was quite accurate, by the way). He gave me advice on what styles (bold, not-so-bold) and colors would look good given my complexion, what to stay away from, pants, blazers, shoes, etc. Given that I an a SF newbie, I think the $40 was well-spent from my perspective.

That's great to hear. I am glad you are happy.
I still want to hear what he has to say about mafoofan, though.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
paintchips.jpg

Pantone or RAL...Pantone or RAL...Pantone or RAL? I can't decide!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why waste money on a style consultant when you could spend the money on clothes instead? Find a good salesperson and a reputable clothing store and they'll be able to guide you in the right direction. Between that and SF, there's no need to pay some self-professed style guru for advice.

I even know of stores that offer services where they come to your home for free and evaluate your wardrobe, although I'd never use it, because I'd feel obligated to buy a whole new wardrobe from them afterward.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mkarim...I'm glad to hear of your personal positive experience and pleased to here that others have seen first hand how an image consultant can assist

I can understand the knee jerk response of FidelCashFlow but a good sales associate needs to make the sale without caring for what is best for the client or whether he will return for future business

An image consultant, it appears, can make suggestions on how to better decide which articles of clothing are more appropriate given the image a client is intending to convey to his targeted audience

I'm still waiting to see how the "Experiment" could be best advised...especially with his attempt to fall to the dark side so to speak

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

Was this in person or over the internutz. If it's the later you guys should paypal me $40 and I'll give feedback on mensimageconsultant service.

robasaurus

Reaction score
I can understand the knee jerk response of FidelCashFlow but a good sales associate needs to make the sale without caring for what is best for the client or whether he will return for future business

Speaking as a sales associate and a part-time style consultant, that is patently false. It's that sort of attitude that has kept some customers I have dealt with from understanding clothing and how to wear it. That sort of attitude also makes it very difficult for me to deliver the best service I possibly can. I actually find it somewhat insulting that a person would even believe that.

I understand that there are many sales associates out there who are poorly trained, selfish, or greedy, but to paint all of them with the same brush is ridiculous. There are few things that irritate me more than poor service and deceitful selling, but one ought to be smart enough to recognize these things and walk away.

Futhermore, the key to making great sales is return clientele. I would much rather have a customer come in and buy something small and give him the best service possible so that when he wants to purchase something big, he will come back to me again and again than just making that big sale immediately and never seeing that customer again.

If you shopped in my store, you would understand.

As this relates to the topic, if you can find that great sales associate, then you may wind up with the same service as you would get from a good style consultant. Of course, finding a person who has in-depth knowledge of mens style, impeccable taste, and the willingness to educate other men on the subject for money is like the perfect storm: almost impossible.

rs232

Reaction score
^This describes the relationship approach to sales - and it's proven to be more of a win-win approach, in aggregate. There will be customers who receive good advice and who never buy, or mention the shop to their peers - but when the salesperson is good and genuinely cares about the building the relationship than closing a single transaction, more transactions naturally follow from repeat visits and referral.

Peer review and referral is what forums that discuss consumer products are all about. This one included.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SlamMan
....... Waste of money or worth trying?
I have photographed a few for newspapers and magazines, these were not in house sales staff, but freelance consultants who took clients to stores they "liked". I would say waste of money. (unless you find the rare bird who is a perfect match for your tastes and vision and has great style himself) They shop where they get deals, commissions or gifts based on your purchases, some never bothered to even look what the fabric was, they pulled stuff off the racks at such a frantic rate you felt like they were guessing. Slow and steady wins the race, take your time, do it yourself and enjoy the experience.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robasaurus...you are correct...I painted too much with my brush...but I have not purchased something from a store per shirts and suits since 2001 and my knowledge of clothing has sky rocketed since 2007

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my knowledge of clothing has sky rocketed since 2007

SF?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mkarim...of course its due to SF, A Suitable Wardrobe...a few other blogs, the London Lounge, Fedoral Lounge, AAAC...and definitely because of FNB
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads