1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Here Hired A Style Consultant?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SlamMan, Nov 28, 2008.

1. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

This idea crossed my mind recently after reading through the color and complexion thread. Has anyone here done this? I like shopping for clothes and I'm fairly successful on most outings. I do have a bunch of stuff that I never wear though because I think some of the styles and colors I gravitate to don't always look best on me. I thought it might be useful to have a "professional" give some guidance as to what looks good and more importantly what things to avoid. Ideally even a booklet with swatches and notes to help with shopping.

Waste of money or worth trying?

2. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato Senior member

I say just stick to this forum for a while. Style is every bit dependant on each individual. And it really starts from you. Watch the WAYWT threads and post your own for opinions. Better than getting an opinion from 1 consultant.

3. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

The same idea crossed my mind.

Here in Stuttgart is a paper/ magazine which is called 'feine Adressen' ( www.finestworldwide.com ). A while ago there was an advertisement of someone who offered this. I gave him a call.

It is 65 Euro (about 85$) an hour. First he wanna talk, then wanna see the wardrobe and then helps shopping. So it will be serveral hours to start.

My experience is, that most of the people are telling stories (they read at internet?!) about color and complexion and they don't know much of it. But they don't have another job and so they do it as profession. Even my shirtmaker (who makes MTM suits, too) don't have a clue about it. He was happy finding the book 'gentlemen' and never heard about the book 'dressing the man' or 'color for men'. He doesn't know SF or AAAC either.

4. potter AB

potter AB Well-Known Member

A department store in my city offered such advice for free one day on a shopping Sunday and it was fun. The only thing that happens is that you get new inspiration, bespoke so to say. [​IMG]
    If you find one that has been in the fashion/style business for some years, yes - then it definitely makes a difference. They will not tell you what you do wrong, just what you could do better.
    First of all, a good one will challenge your "inner obstacles", e.g. fixed ideas like "a leather jacket is not for me", "green does not work with me" etc.
    Secondly, even if style is dependant on each person, as has been written before, one often sticks to the same kind of clothing to be on the safe side. They will make you look on yourself with other eyes and show you how small changes can do a lot and vary the picture of you.
    Thirdly, a good one will tell you how to vary your wardrobe with a mininum effect and some rules of thumbs. Finally, every second opinion will help you in a way. E.g. if one looks at people that wear hats today, quite some of them could have used some advice before buying it, as the hat tends to get all attention. The same often goes for glasses.

Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

5. rs232

rs232 Senior member

I live with one. He seems to work on styles in volumes proportionate to how people generally dress (ie the suits get less attention than, say, distressed jeans and vintage jackets). However he does dress some clients in the multi thousand-dollar suit range. If you're in the habit of paying this much for suits, then I suppose you can afford to leave taste quality assurance to someone else.

I sure wish Donald Trump would follow that advice and stop trying to turn Brionis into sack suits.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

I will do this for $50 an hour - a steal!!!

Anyway style is a very personal thing, and having someone come and pick out clothes for you, however nice they might look, is pretty unauthentic. It's better to take the time to figure out what you like and what fits you, and in the process learn something about sartorial history and what makes an item high quality.

7. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

We have a mensimageconsultant on this board! I can't believe he hasn't weighed in already.

8. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

Just post pictures of yourself on this board in your best outfit and ask for the members opinion.

After that you will realize, nothing looks good on you and nothing fits.

There are two style consultants on the board – one even does magic.

9. haganah

haganah Senior member

Can someone post some of mensimageconsultant's chuckle worthy threads?

Does he have a 14 inch drop and exclusively buy non-iron shirts like arnach for example?

10. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Hah it had better not be that guy with the Christmas decorations :)

11. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

Just post pictures of yourself on this board in your best outfit and ask for the members opinion.

After that you will realize, nothing looks good on you and nothing fits.

There are two style consultants on the board - one even does magic.

LOL, That's what I'm afraid of. Maybe I should hire one so I have someone to blame it on when I post a pic.

12. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

There are two style consultants on the board - one even does magic.

I wonder if you are referring to me? While I don't believe I have ever offered myself as such, I do think I would make a fine style consultant, and would offer competitive rates to anyone in the greater metropolitan DC area.

13. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I've done work as a style consultant before. I am currently working with one client on and off. The clients I have worked with in the past have been very happy with the results, but I tend to be selective of who I will work with (the client needs to have the right attitude, and desire the right ends, otherwise our collaboration will not be fruitful). My regular job is in a high-end menswear store, so I've also seen a lot of style consultants in action. From what I've seen, most are hacks. Bearing in mind that I live in Canada, and one of the least stylish cities in the country to boot. You may have better luck finding a good style consultant in a more cosmopolitan area, but my experience tells me that you should be careful.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If the guy mentions complexion and whips out his color wheel, get your deposit back and run.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

If the guy mentions complexion and whips out his color wheel, get your deposit back and run.

"Let's see, now...for you..."

[​IMG]

"...I recommend something in tweed...maybe more than one kind."

- B

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

"Let's see, now...for you..."

[​IMG]

"...I recommend something in tweed...maybe more than one kind."

- B

"You'd look good in fauve tone underwear."

"Stay away from breezy colors like icicle or baby seal"

17. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

We have a mensimageconsultant on this board! I can't believe he hasn't weighed in already.
    He? I always thought that poster was a she.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

LK would make a terrific style consultant.

19. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

he would make the impossibly stylish...possible.

20. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Here by popular demand...

It's interesting that no one has admitted to hiring a consultant.

The discussion has all sorts of problems, starting with "style consultant." Stylist? Image consultant? An image consultant, one with actual training, is supposed to be objective and capable of perceiving the situation through just about anyone's eyes. (Maybe that contributes to the accusation that the company is lying about being male-operated.)

This being the real world, however, just anybody can claim to be an expert and charge too much for services. It does seem that most "consultants" out there are hacks when it comes to male style. Yes, “if the guy mentions complexion and whips out his color wheel” to a male client, that's probably a bad sign. (Color isn't very important for male image. By the way, there are sources that sell swatches.)

It's also true that much depends on the client. One who wants a ton of handholding, like personal shopping, is not going to make the kind of progress possible for somebody who wants to gradually develop his own style. A good consultation should target problems and provide feasible solutions, with room for the client to modify the advice and implement at his own pace. Building a framework, one might call it.

Advantages of consulting versus, say, asking a forum full of strangers: the person will receive help that is confidential (so that client disclosure is much greater, for starters), thorough, and respectful.