• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has Anyone Here Hired A Style Consultant?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Mkarim...of course its due to SF, A Suitable Wardrobe...a few other blogs, the London Lounge, Fedoral Lounge, AAAC...and definitely because of FNB
inlove.gif

You mean not "What Not To Wear"???
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Why waste money on a style consultant when you could spend the money on clothes instead? Find a good salesperson and a reputable clothing store and they'll be able to guide you in the right direction. Between that and SF, there's no need to pay some self-professed style guru for advice.

I even know of stores that offer services where they come to your home for free and evaluate your wardrobe, although I'd never use it, because I'd feel obligated to buy a whole new wardrobe from them afterward.

You just helped explain why that's not as good as hiring an independent consultant
smile.gif
They want you to buy from them and are highly unlikely to recommend alternatives. Since no store carries everything and arguably nobody should have a wardrobe that comes from just one source, that level of reliance is not wise. That said, it doesn't hurt to have an open mind toward a store employee's suggestions. Some of them, probably a minority, do offer good advice.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
OK, guys! I did hire mensimageconsuntant a little over a month ago. This was my problem: over the past 2-3 years, I had been buying pieces of clothing that looked good, without any thought to how to actually put things together. The end result is that I have a wardrobe full of clothes (about half of them being black or grey), but when I actually wanted an outfit, I could find few things that would actually go together. I also have a lot of trendy items from the fashion brands. I had some female friends go shopping with me, but they just want you to buy the latest and the greatest - and the more expensive - and they only recommend more trendy items!

I discovered I was spending a lot of money and had to find a more cost-effective way of building a wardrobe. I met a couple of people who are quite style-conscious who taught me the importance of classic, timeless items and, upon further research, I found this forum.

Since I was spending a lot of time and money on my wardrobe and not getting good results, I decided that hiring an image consultant, who could advise me on the basics, would be a good idea. That's when I hired mensimageconsuntant.

He gave me a 3-page analysis of the image he thought I was giving out (which was quite accurate, by the way). He gave me advice on what styles (bold, not-so-bold) and colors would look good given my complexion, what to stay away from, pants, blazers, shoes, etc. Given that I an a SF newbie, I think the $40 was well-spent from my perspective.

Thanks
smile.gif
That wasn't prompted. Some of the backstory wasn't given before; it's interesting. Would you allow some of that last paragraph to be quoted on the website someday? You're welcome to PM about that and whether there's anything you feel could have been better. Most importantly, have you implemented some of the recommendations yet? The goal here is perfect the technique, to maximize satisfaction and results.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But didn't you just say that there's enough reason to ignore advice when it suggests an "out-of-the-ordinary look?" If people were interested in looking more ordinary, I doubt they'd need to talk much about it on an internet forum.

The quote was "not to rely on." By all means, average guys are welcome to listen to forum feedback. But many probably don't even bother, in part because clearly the conservation usually isn't about dressing to look good in an ordinary way. (The key exception is interview-related discussion.) It would be great if the forum were more beneficial to people who aren't particularly interested in or knowledgeable about style, because there probably aren't any books or free sources that do them much good.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that the priced charged is certainly money well spent for most.

They will easily spend that much on the first mistakes they make, i know i have.

This forum is advice mostly geared towards clothing nuts, most people would *not* want to pull off most of the looks we're proud of rocking, nor spending the money involved in building the look. They may admire some of the more extreme looks, but they dont want to wear them.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Thanks
smile.gif
That wasn't prompted. Some of the backstory wasn't given before; it's interesting. Would you allow some of that last paragraph to be quoted on the website someday? You're welcome to PM about that and whether there's anything you feel could have been better. Most importantly, have you implemented some of the recommendations yet? The goal here is perfect the technique, to maximize satisfaction and results.

Sure. You are welcome to use any part, or all, of my posting on your website.

Yes, I am starting to implement your recommendations. I am searching online and current sales to find good deals. I did have one shirt tailor-made (measurements taken locally and shirt made in Hong Kong). It was good, but does not match the fit of a Hugo Boss, which incidently, is having a 30% sale right now...
smile.gif
This makes them 30% less expensive than the $100 to $150 per shirt that this local tailor charges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads