• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-Star, Raw Denim & "Intro"

Nuff said

Reaction score
If you are in Sydney and looking for better quality denim there are a few places you should check out: "Incu" in Paddington for Acne, APC and Corpus "Assin" in Paddington for Dior "That Store" in Paddington is also worth a look "An
redface.gif
ther" in Darlinghurst for Imperial

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I own two pair of G-star pants, a pair of straight leg jeans with minimalist back pocket stitching which I really like, and a pair of dark brown cords which I regret. They're pretty hit or miss, and in that sense they're a lot like diesel.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ww90
how is g-star trying to be like diesel? their aesthetics are completely different.

I dunno, I think G-Star and Diesel have really similar aesthetics...look at their shirts and jackets, nearly identitical designs these days.

Both brands could/can have really nice items when they don't have their name embroidered going down the back. If they kept it to a minimal label tag (or none) it would make so much more of their gear wearable. But having been into Diesel and GStar stores in 2008, I've been seeing some cool stuff that isnt so branded.

And their shirt/outerwear fits are great if you like it slim.

Never tried on GStar jeans but a looong time ago I used to see some really cool ones (probably around the time Maharlika got his) and I still have some regret over not picking up an awesome buckleback pair many years ago.

I think their back pocket logo with the half arcuate looks great, one of my fave back pocket designs.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I dunno, I think G-Star and Diesel have really similar aesthetics...look at their shirts and jackets, nearly identitical designs these days.

+1.

That and the only pieces worth having from either are outerwear and (may be) shirts.

longcat

Reaction score
I personally really dislike both Diesel and G-Star. The majority of their pieces are very gimmicky and fussy. Over the top arctuates, reinforcing patching, relatvley heavilly branded, overpriced, poor quality denim, seasonal high contrast unnatural looking distressing, a strong focus on boot cuts and an 'undesirable' customer base.

The complete antithesis of my personal asesthetic.

There is nicer denim available in Sydney. Assin stocks Dior Homme. Incu stocks APC, Corpus and ACNE. Ourspot stocks APC. Purest Cut stocks Mjolk. That Store stocks LVC and ALD but is incredibly overpriced.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Diesel is improved this season.

phaedrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
+1.

That and the only pieces worth having from either are outerwear and (may be) shirts.

Agreed with respect to some G-star shirts. They appear to be cut well and in fairly subtle colours/ designs.

djs488

Reaction score
what do you guys think of this jacket? I'm intrigued because it is a technical-ish coat but made of wool (for the most part). For anyone with experience with g-star, does their outerwear typically run as slim as portrayed on this model? I hope so. More pics here.
photo30085.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
They haven't done anything interesting in years although their jeans are pretty good quality.

Dritzz, hey when did you get back? I haven't seen you around (mostly in WAYW) in ages!
(sorry to derail)

As a very brief answer to the OP... basically you need to distinguish between

1. "designer", price paid for something, and quality of workmanship. The brands on this site are more obscure, they tend to be more old-school or tradition with real focused designers behind them, and cost a fair amount becuase (generally) they're solid quality, are made in smaller runs, and are designed with a well thought out concept in mind. Designer brands usually means that they advertise a lot, convince a lot of people that they're "good" jeans, and then charge a lot of money. The quality is usually lower, prices higher, and the gap in-between means more profit and advertising budget.

2. Raw, G-star "raw", and predistressed. Most denim you find on the shelves has been dyed, but then washed a bunch of times and often made to look like it's been worn/worked in for years. The quality of the denim, construction, etc is often low. the type of brands recomended here is made from higher quality denim, constructed better, it's dyed more thoroughly, and you're expected to slowly work the jeans in so that it eventually fades to your body shape and takes on the look of well-worn/loved denim...

Roughly speaking... (phew I'm tired)

And as for G-star specifially, along with Deisel, I'm not against their stuff. I think some of their clothes are pretty cool, especially the jackets. The jeans aren't my style, but they do have a consistent look.

djs488

Reaction score
^^ hah, maybe i should have started a new thread... this thread is old, drizzt is still not posting. my question refers to the jacket posted on this page of the thread.

Who: wilmer/james franco, but that's neither here nor there.

davo10375

Reaction score
Haven't read most of the thread so don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I promise you can find nudies in sydney, as well as a few of the other brands mentioned. Ourspot.com.au store in sydney should have APC's etc.

frankster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
what do you guys think of this jacket? I'm intrigued because it is a technical-ish coat but made of wool (for the most part). For anyone with experience with g-star, does their outerwear typically run as slim as portrayed on this model? I hope so. More pics here.
photo30085.jpg

I actually bought this exact jacket about a month ago for the cold season, and wore it for the first time yesterday. It's a warm jacket, and love the feel of it. it's made of traditional materials on the outside (wool) and technical materials on the inside (viscose), which is great since wool doesn't isolate well from the wind and tend to get soaked when it snows a lot. The viscose provides a great insulating layer that counterbalances wool's weaknesses. I did have to size up (one size). Fits like regular G-Star. Love the pockets placement on it. Great cut too, and the hood is a nice addition for winter. It's true that the jacket does look busy on that photograph, but when you see it live it's a lot more subdued. It does help that it is all matte black I have to say. There are no big G-Star logo on it, just a few G-Star trims. Considering that this brand tend to overdesign everything, I appreciate that they restrained themselves on this design. It's my first G-Star purchase.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
when not over embellished, GStar jackets are really cool. They fit great, aka slim. I wear size S in normal jackets, but Gstar (and Diesel) I wear a med and it fits awesome.

I really like the one posted above ^^ that Fezz is wearing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads