• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IIRC, the owner/head of Shiseido approached Lutens about being the image director/creator of the line and it went from there with their backing.

aleeboy

Reaction score
1. Polo Black
2. Lancome Miracle
3. Ferragamo F

I am finding myself more and more impressed with the Ferragamo scent. It was a gift from the inlaws. I also have Issey Miyake's L'ea Dissey... but I'm rapdily losing interest in it. Currently in the market for a fragrance from Creed.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Just got Serge Lutens' Gris Clair... I like it!
smile.gif
Surprised to see on the back of the box it says, "Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido Jardins du Palais Royal". Does this mean they're owned by Shiseido?

Yes the company is owned by Shiseido, with Serge Lutens being the creative director. I believe Lutens has worked for Shiseido in creative capacity for many years. Some fragnance fans and critics are not happy that the actual parfumer who designed a lot of the SL scents, Christopher Sheldrake, is not getting any public recognition from the company. The main Serge Lutens store in on the grounds of Palais Royal in Paris so that is where the name comes from. It's a beautiful little store and the grounds of the Jardin Palais Royal are very calming. Well worth a visit.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Yes the company is owned by Shiseido, with Serge Lutens being the creative director. I believe Lutens has worked for Shiseido in creative capacity for many years. Some fragnance fans and critics are not happy that the actual parfumer who designed a lot of the SL scents, Christopher Sheldrake, is not getting any public recognition from the company. The main Serge Lutens store in on the grounds of Palais Royal in Paris so that is where the name comes from. It's a beautiful little store and the grounds of the Jardin Palais Royal are very calming. Well worth a visit.
Thank you!!

taktikz

Reaction score
The ones I've received the most compliments from have been:
Versace's The Dreamer
Versace L'Homme
Guess Man

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riverside Drive - Bond No.9
Dirty English - Juicy Couture
Green Irish Tweed - Creed
L'air du desert marocain - Tauer
Straight To Heaven - By Kilian
Dior Homme - Dior
Millesime Imperial - Creed
Prada - Infusion d'Homme
Diesel - Fuel For Life
Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
Antaeus - Chanel

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right now im cycling between

Issey Miyake 'Intense' (love it, and lasts very long)
Diesel 'Fuel for Life'
Hugo Boss 'In Motion(black)'

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
Riverside Drive - Bond No.9
Dirty English - Juicy Couture
Green Irish Tweed - Creed
L'air du desert marocain - Tauer
Straight To Heaven - By Kilian
Dior Homme - Dior
Millesime Imperial - Creed
Prada - Infusion d'Homme
Diesel - Fuel For Life
Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
Antaeus - Chanel

Interesting selection, especially the Tauer, Bond, Prada, Hermes and (of course) the Antaeus! I have several of those myself, though I must admit "Straight to Heaven" and the Diesel I've never tried. Actually, I've never heard of the former... what is it?

capt. carl

Reaction score
Burberry London
Burberry Brit
Burberry Touch
Paco Rabanne Black XS
Victoria Secret Very Sexy For Him
Gucci Envy

sologigolos

Reaction score
Man, I definitely haven't lived long enough to try 20+ colognes to compile a top 10, but I think I can fairly do a top five

BMen by Thierry Mugler - very odd peculiar scent, a lot going on, but oh man, what a powerful cologne. woodsy, spicy, most masculine scent without smelling like an old man/lumberjack.

L'Eau Bleu d'Issey by Issey Miyake - another weird one. citrus and yet woody. despite the blueness and citricity, can wear on a crisp winter day.

cK Escape - one of my first colognes, but it's the reactions from this (albeit from high school girls) that made me continue wearing it. citrus and fruity, but with a fair amount of weight. it's not the most sophisticated scent, but i haven't found many citrusy fragrances that can match its charm

Armani White - straight summer lemoniness. no better summer scent. nothing too complex or complicated. you can't wear this when you're going out at night, but a perfect way to start out the day.

The Dreamer by Versace - snap, i don't know how to explain it. maybe someone else can do a better job. but i've saved the best for last.

And just to throw this in there:
Old Spice aftershave

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Angel for men ?
I used to wear it back in school, and got a few comments from girls - mostly saying i smelled like candy (dont know if thats a good thing?)

You guys think its a scent better left to highschool ?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
What do you guys think of Angel for men ?
I used to wear it back in school, and got a few comments from girls - mostly saying i smelled like candy (dont know if thats a good thing?)

You guys think its a scent better left to highschool ?

I am also thinking of picking this up for a heavy winter scent. Any other suggestions for a winter fragrance?

Also, how do Angel Men and B*men compare?

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Interesting selection, especially the Tauer, Bond, Prada, Hermes and (of course) the Antaeus! I have several of those myself, though I must admit "Straight to Heaven" and the Diesel I've never tried. Actually, I've never heard of the former... what is it?

The ladies love it! But it's expensive.

http://pinkmanhattan.blogspot.com/20...by-kilian.html

BryanHarig

Reaction score
I roughly break it down like so (in order of preference):

Cool weather:
Bulgari - Black
John Varvatos

Warmer weather:
Bond No. 9 - Bleeker St
Creed - Himalaya
Hermes - Terre D'Hermes
Caron - The Third Man
Bulgari - Aqua

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics