• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown eggs vs white eggs

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some locally grown brown eggs, and to be honest, I can't taste a difference between these and commercial eggs. I'm a little bummed because they were twice as much money.

I talked with a few people about this, and some people claim they can taste the difference between brown and white eggs.

So, assuming the same growing methods (e.g. same farm, just different chickens) do you think you can taste the difference between a brown egg and a white egg (assume an unadulterated method of preparation such as hard boiling)? Would you put money on your ability to do so?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'd put money on my ability to taste the difference between fresh, farm-grow eggs versus commercially bought from a store, definitely. But just between brown and white, I don't think there should be much difference at all. I'm pretty certain the difference is entirely cosmetic, and people who can "taste" the difference are mistaken.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
blush.gif
I always thought the brown ones were chocolate.
blush.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
blush.gif
I always thought the brown ones were chocolate.
blush.gif

Racist.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer brown eggs just because they look different. And it's true there is no difference in taste based on egg color. I think it has to do with the color of the chicken laying it.

CodeRed

Reaction score
My chickens lay both white and brown and there is zero difference, they do taste much better than store bought though, as we feed them well and they are free to range around our land.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the "local" egg farmer basically uses the same methods as a major egg producer, and that is why they taste the same.

With all this organic / free-range / locally produced stuff, it is a real toss up whether or not quality will be improved. I buy some eggs and pay twice as much for no difference. I bought some "organic" spices and paid roughly the same price as normal and am amazed at the flavor.

Tough work being a consumer.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'd put money on my ability to taste the difference between fresh, farm-grow eggs versus commercially bought from a store, definitely. But just between brown and white, I don't think there should be much difference at all. I'm pretty certain the difference is entirely cosmetic, and people who can "taste" the difference are mistaken.

+1. And yes, it is entirely cosmetic.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought brown chickens only had brown eggs and white chickens had white eggs.

spence

Reaction score
Funny, growing up in Iowa we only had white eggs. Once I moved out to Rhode Island most of the eggs are brown, though you can get white ones.

I don't think color makes a difference, although a good farm raised egg is easily noticable over the mass produced variety for many uses.

-spence

minhi

Reaction score
how did you prepare them? i like my eggs soft (boiled or fried, sunny or scrambled), and i can tell the difference. if you add cheese or over-fry them the difference is less noticeable.

i would also challenge you to crack a farmers market egg and a supermarket egg into a bowl and look at the difference.

also if you really did buy them from a farmer, why not go back next week and ask them about it. see if they can explain how they feed and care for their chickens, that's one of the reasons you're paying a premium.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minhi
how did you prepare them? i like my eggs soft (boiled or fried, sunny or scrambled), and i can tell the difference. if you add cheese or over-fry them the difference is less noticeable.

i would also challenge you to crack a farmers market egg and a supermarket egg into a bowl and look at the difference.

also if you really did buy them from a farmer, why not go back next week and ask them about it. see if they can explain how they feed and care for their chickens, that's one of the reasons you're paying a premium.

This is untrue. Under the same conditions (diet, health, etc) of the hen, a brown egg and a white egg should taste exactly the same. The reason farmer's market eggs will taste better is a mix of the fact that they're probably much more fresh (2-3 days old versus a week), and instead of being kept in cages and ******** all over, they're allowed to roam all the time or at least part of the time, and also the fact that with most commercially produced eggs, the hen will only be corn or grain-fed, whereas with the farmer's market egg, they will be fed a mixture of grain, corn, and grass.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
White eggs think they're better than brown eggs. You're all the same!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it better that Kobe beef doesnt do any exercise and just sits around and drinks beer, but we want our chickens to go running around out in open fields?

K

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the colour of the shell that's important, but the freshness of the egg and the diet of and conditions in which the chicken that laid the egg is kept.

We used to keep chickens when I was young - our chickens laid predominantly brown eggs, for some reason - and the difference between those eggs and the usual store-bought eggs was significant. The yolk of the eggs laid by our chickens was a very bright orange, and the egg had quite a strong (but pleasant) taste. Store bought eggs, though, had a very pale, watery-looking yolk and the eggs themselves had quite a weak taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads