1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

brown eggs vs white eggs

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Milhouse, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Jared

Jared Senior member

I grew up on eggs with green shells, which are commonly laid by the Araucana breed of chicken. They look and taste the same inside.

The most nutritious and best-tasting eggs are produced by chickens that eat a combination of vegetables and insects. Next is chickens that just eat vegetables. Next is chickens that just eat grain.

The only way chickens can catch insects is being free-range and non-organic. Even chickens that just eat grain can be organic.

Free-run is entirely ethical and doesn't affect nutrition or taste.

2. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

If you let the eggs come to room temperature before you cook them, they will taste a little better.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

The only way chickens can catch insects is being free-range and non-organic.

I don't understand why this is so. Is it because the chicken can't be certified as organic unless you can basically attest to the provenance of everything it has eaten?

4. mano

mano Senior member

White chickens lay white eggs and brown chickens lay brown eggs. Most preferred breeds for egg laying happen to be white.

5. Joshua Arson

Joshua Arson Senior member

It wasn't a serious question.

But the free range poultry vs pen kept beef / veal argument can be made for the bird's meat also.

K

It wasn't a serious answer, either [​IMG]

6. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

It wasn't a serious answer, either [​IMG]

With a name like Joshua who could tell?

K

7. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Senior member

I can't taste any difference. I used to buy brown eggs from a lady I worked with that raised chickens.

8. Jared

Jared Senior member

Geeze, I was just doing some research about this and it turns out the USDA doesn't even regulate the term "free range" for eggs. I give up: the only way to get good eggs is buy them from the farmer. [​IMG]

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Geeze, I was just doing some research about this and it turns out the USDA doesn't even regulate the term "free range" for eggs. I give up: the only way to get good eggs is buy them from the farmer. [​IMG]

The reason farmers would want the term "free range" or any kind of free range certification is so that consumers see it and get all excited and then are willing to pay a higher price. This all costs a nice chunk of change and a lot more inspections/regulation. I assume the difference between eggs from commercial chickens and free range chickens is pretty negligible, so it's not worth it to the farmer to pay the extra money to get free range certified.

10. upstarter

upstarter Senior member

According to Marion Nestle (America's most well known nutritionist) there is absolutely no differencein anything between the two eggs except thier shell's color.

-Remmeber reading it from her "What to Eat" book:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Eat-Mario...3532940&sr=8-1

Upstarter

11. adamsnez

adamsnez Senior member

i dont think i could eat the brown ones.... its all the mind [​IMG]

12. ken

ken Senior member

The color of the egg is genetic. My understanding is that all eggs used to be some shade of brown until farmers began selecting those chickens that laid lighter eggs. Eventually, they were laying white eggs.

Organic chickens need to have the option to go outside "if they so desire." That usually means there's a little trap door that leads outside from the barn, but the chickens usually don't even know how to use it.

I've dedicated my life to helping those chickens use their trap doors.

13. dopamine

dopamine Senior member

Why is it better that Kobe beef doesnt do any exercise and just sits around and drinks beer, but we want our chickens to go running around out in open fields?

K

It's an entirely different concept. Kobe cows produce much higher quality beef because they don't exercise their muscles - use of muscles is what makes beef stringy and tough. The less they use them, the more fat running through the beef and the more tender it is.

14. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

It's an entirely different concept. Kobe cows produce much higher quality beef because they don't exercise their muscles - use of muscles is what makes beef stringy and tough. The less they use them, the more fat running through the beef and the more tender it is.

[​IMG]

Please speak to Joshua

K