• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebeatblitz
Lots of surgical residents used to exceed 100 hr. work weeks; many still break the 80 limit. Even as a student on ortho rotation, I did 70+ easily for the 6 weeks.

ACGME regulations are supposed to limit our work weeks to 80 hours. Surgeons and Ob/Gyn residents routinely break these rules. I would guess that surgery residents average around 80-85 hours per week at my hospital (two twenty-seven hour shifts per week). My own hours are considerably better--I have no qualms about working 60 hour weeks, though I get cranky when the totals start to break the 70 hour range.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
Didn't read 90% of this thread, but I must say, I'm only a freshman in college and I'm doing 60 hours between my regular part time job and my summer internship.

I can't see how 50+ hours is anything to shudder at... though I'd probably start losing my mind at 70+

As long as the work is interesting, challenging, and variable, you won't lose your mind. If the work is repetivie and simple, you'll probably be counting hours like others in this thread. There's a reason some jobs pay by the hour and others are salaried.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
As long as the work is interesting, challenging, and variable, you won't lose your mind. If the work is repetivie and simple, you'll probably be counting hours like others in this thread. There's a reason some jobs pay by the hour and others are salaried.

My job is plenty interesting, and even fun. I, like a lot of people, just don't like doing the same thing for eight or more hours.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I rarely pay attention to how many hours of work I do per day. It varies between 7-10. Tuesdays and Thursdays I typically work around 13 hours. It's a matter of dedication to me - ever since I've been working full time, I've felt a responsibility to be in the office, generally coming in an hour or so early just to make sure I'm prepared for the day's work. I still seem to manage to have much more free time than I ever did in college working part time + full schedule.

lifersfc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Why the **** would you want to work 100 hours a week as an I-banker of all things. What a horrible job. The industry is full of douchebags.
I think the idea is that after a couple years you trade your banking job for one in large cap private equity, so that you can make $400-500k per year as a 24 year old.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
I think the idea is that after a couple years you trade your banking job for one in large cap private equity, so that you can make $400-500k per year as a 24 year old.

bingo. The problem is that 1 billion other men are trying to do the same thing.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If work were fun, who would pay you to do it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
If work were fun, who would pay you to do it?

That's my philosophy too. Work = something people would not do for free. It's supposed to not be fun, in and of itself. If you pay to do it, it's call "a hobby."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
14 hour days 7 days a week.....

The part you underestimated is the 14 hour assumption. 9am to 1 or 2am (5 days a week) is a common occurence in some highly demanding jobs (e.g. banking analyst). Plus 10-15 hours over the weekend. (17 x 5) + 15 = 85 + 15 = 100

If you consider the occasional allnighter (which means probably 35-40 hours in a row), you can see that, although 100 hrs is definitely not an average week (I would say it is closer to 80), it happens more often than you think.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
80-100 hours a week isnt at all unusual or hard owning your own business. Especially the restaurant business.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys are full of ****.

whoever has you working 80+ a week must really be laughing their asses off....sorry.

working longer hours isnt the same as getting ahead in life.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
you guys are full of ****.
Lay off the bottle for a couple hours and you should be able to have a normal (online) conversation

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads