• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

injung

Reaction score
100 is not bullshit - I haven't done it yet for work, but I can remember many finals weeks where I put it in that much (basically lived at lab). My friends in i-banking have definitely confirmed it's done, though not all the time.

50 is a cakewalk, in my opinion. One extra hour a day and about half a day on Saturday or Sunday still leaves you with plenty of free time (unless you require 12 hours of sleep a day or something).

tbone226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
lol @ 100 hours a week, thats what hmm 14 hour days everyday.

Calling bullshit on that one.

There are jobs/industries out there where 100 hour weeks are not unheard of. Just speak to any Investment Banking Analyst and you will see that 100 hour weeks are a part of the job.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why the **** would you want to work 100 hours a week as an I-banker of all things. What a horrible job. The industry is full of douchebags.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
l used to know a man with a great job. He used to supply certain office equipment to government departments and large private business'. He'd hang around the office mainly in tracksuit pants often not doing much. He'd then get a phone call and make 500K on the spot. But to get to that position, he did years of hard work building good clients.

Got to do something you love and are good at.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Why the **** would you want to work 100 hours a week as an I-banker of all things. What a horrible job.
Some people choose jobs for prestige and are career minded people. So be it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
MAn **** all these people. It sounds like you don't care that much about all the extra ego items in life, so don't go for them. Figure out how much money you really need and then figure out a job that will provide you with that income and that you like. Or better yet figure out what you really like to do in life and **** the money. I'm sure all these jokers will scream and yell about misplaced idealism but its your life. Accounting is likely not going to be a mellow work week and I would suggest you aim for something else.
There are plenty of interesting and rewarding jobs that provide you with a decent living.

It really is a matter of your definition of success. Most people on this board define success as making a lot of money. If you idea of success is spending a lot of time with your wife and kids, doing interesting or (socially) productive work, or just chasing some dream than I would say you can be totally successful with out some soul numbing office job or insane work week.

+1

thebeatblitz

Reaction score
lol @ 100 hours a week, thats what hmm 14 hour days everyday. Calling bullshit on that one.
Lots of surgical residents used to exceed 100 hr. work weeks; many still break the 80 limit. Even as a student on ortho rotation, I did 70+ easily for the 6 weeks.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebeatblitz
Lots of surgical residents used to exceed 100 hr. work weeks; many still break the 80 limit. Even as a student on ortho rotation, I did 70+ easily for the 6 weeks.
With easier access to drugs, do you find that doctors are resorting to drug use so they can work the hard long hours?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Fifty hours is a lot? I'm doing 65-70 in my internship and I still have too much time on my hands. I'm hoping to switch into M&A next year so I can do 80-90. It's not that hard to work 65-70 hours a week...come in at 7am, leave at 9pm, and hell, you only have to work five days to get to 70.

And frankly, **** all the people who say they "pity" me and my co-workers for working hard. I pity them, because anyone with that mindset clearly has a job they don't enjoy, and one that probably doesn't pay well, either. So yeah, enjoy having your few hours of fun on the weekend (not like I don't have time to go out) and dreading the other 40 hours of your week.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbone226
There are jobs/industries out there where 100 hour weeks are not unheard of. Just speak to any Investment Banking Analyst and you will see that 100 hour weeks are a part of the job.
14 hour days 7 days a week..... anyone doing this on salary more then 1 or 2 weeks per year is getting abused by their employer. Odd circumstances its a maybe, i've put in some long weeks, every week....no way. I understand there are people in certain countries who routinely work 12 hour days 7 days a week, but in america or in europe in a normal job i seriously doubt it. Dont you guys have families that you like to see?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
14 hour days 7 days a week.....

anyone doing this on salary more then 1 or 2 weeks per year is getting abused by their employer.

To refer to my post above: It's not like their bosses are sitting over them cracking the whip. They choose to work long hours because they want to. I know wanting to work is a foreign concept for many...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being that I am a fast efficient worker, I can do lots of stuff in 40 hours that may take others 60

Lots of people focus on the 'hours' and not what is being done IN those hours

I normally work 45 a week, I never take a lunch though, I eat lunch at my desk in 2 minutes everyday

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Being that I am a fast efficient worker, I can do lots of stuff in 40 hours that may take others 60

Lots of people focus on the 'hours' and not what is being done IN those hours

I normally work 45 a week, I never take a lunch though, I eat lunch at my desk in 2 minutes everyday

Do you get flak for leaving earlier than your peers?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
To refer to my post above: It's not like their bosses are sitting over them cracking the whip. They choose to work long hours because they want to. I know wanting to work is a foreign concept for many...

It's your life and you can work as much as you want, but don't act like it isn't you who is the anomaly here. I don't think you can accuse somebody of not having a strong work ethic because they don't want to clock 80 hours a week. For most people, I don't think there's any one thing they'd want to do for that long every day, work or otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads