• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that are coasting off their reputation

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferragamo (besides tramezza)
Armami
GM
Most steakhouses
Persol
Boss
Nordstroms/Boomingdales
Chain restaurants

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I'm not so sure about Seiko being a company who slipped down the pipe. I think they found their market and then developed themselves well within it. I wear a Seiko chronograph that I've had for eons. My wallets have gone through hell but this thing as gone through hell and back again. If I do manage to kill it I would go and buy another one in a heartbeat.

wish I could find one of their automatic divers like the one I had a few decades ago......

Their automatic divers are readily available online and in Asia. What are you looking for?

Apologies for the hijack. For the record, I listed Seiko as a brand that is undervalued in a recent thread.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My vote is for Calvin Klein. I wonder if the brand even knows what natural fibers are any more.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Ouch.

Although I understand that the yankees cap is the only casual cap that goes with any outfit irrespective of colors (although it does come in every color and pattern imaginable). A classic in its own right.

just got to throw out there, that it seems that any of the classic baseball hats work for this. I am partial to Detroit.

dragonlair

Reaction score
Definitely Armani! Collezioni and Emporio. Used to be made in Italy, now 70% are made in Turkey and other cheap countries. Quality is going down, prices are going up.

Who would pay $600 for cheap armani collezioni polyester jacket?

I have noticed Ralph Lauren is starting to follow Armani

Azure

Reaction score
Gucci with huge stamps with his name on it charching just for teh stamp hundreds of euros for a could be a GAP jacket or Baseball jacket or whatever.

Dolce & Gaba..... Just a few pieces are ok the rest overpriced hyped junk for wannabe stars..

Boss is following the above...

Some Versaces and Armanis too

Even Lancia, top italian car brand is following that path doing fat cars not sportive as old delta anymore..

Seems all this italian brands are living from their past.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Seiko...I know they aren't "high-end" enough for a lot of you on this board but I have several high end watches (access to many more through my father) and I still absolutely love certain vintage seikos and older mm's. Seiko just doesn't make anything nearly as nice or with as much effort as they used to.

The Seiko Monsters are still very good watches for the money.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years back (15+ years ago), I thought of these as high quality:

- Joseph Abboud (I recall paying $125 each for a couple of sublime plaid cotton shirts)
- Calvin Klein
- Perry Ellis

Then, JA sold out, CK went worldwide, and Perry Ellis died.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
How about GAP and BR? Their prices keep going up, quality keeps dropping. It's to the point where their clothing is not worth buying (with the exception of, on sale, their suits and occasionally wool slacks).

Nautica, anyone?

Hmm...by reputation would you also include image?

If that's the case, BOSS for certain.

Agree on all accounts.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejobs
I see this in too many products: brands coasting off their previously sterling reputation for quality and overcharging for their products while simultaneously cutting corners to expand their profit margins or protect their market share.

Tommy Hilfiger was once an up and coming label in the early 1990s, but then they got greedy, over-expanded into too many outlets, and churned out crappy clothing lines (not to mention staying too long with their hip-hop image). The same thing happened with Calvin Klein. The worst designer to fall into this downward spiral of brand destruction was Pierre Cardin. While Lacoste managed to rehabilitate its image as a quality apparel brand, Pierre Cardin has not.

What brands do you think are currently coasting on their reputation and are hurting their brand's image because they make inferior goods for the prices they charge?

Theory.

kdaust

Reaction score
The fact that this thread is so long goes straight to Crane's point a few pages back.

What's the bet a shorter thread would be "Brands that represent quality above all else".

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Ralph Lauren
fail
brokencq7.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads