1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brands that are coasting off their reputation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Jun 21, 2008.

1. pmartf

pmartf New Member

2. manicturncoat

manicturncoat Well-Known Member

3. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Style Forum

Really? I would have thought SuFu more so.

4. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Allen Edmonds fo' sho'!

AE Saxon's=A POS! [​IMG]

5. KBW

KBW Senior member

Banana Republic and JCrew are the two that annoy me the most looking at the quality[​IMG]rice ratio. Both used to carry nice clothes at decent prices. I bought more pairs of casual/semi-dress pants at JCrew than I can count--now they're so expensive I just walk away.

I like BB's regular store stuff. And even their outlet store stuff isn't all bad.

I'm also just generally annoyed at the idea of producing a different line for the outlet store. Whatever happened to these stores just having the overstocks and out of season stuff? That annoys me about BB.

b

You need to go to jcrew's online store. They often have many of their pants on sale in great colors online. A few months ago I bought every color of classic fit chino they made as well as all the other color regular fits at $22 a piece. Can't get close to beating that. Also bought some bum around the house loafers (also good to wear to the bar and not care about spills) that were originally 128 for 38. jcrew.com always has sales and usually on their pants. Wait a few weeks and their light weight chinos and linens will be on sale. I picked up 6 cashmere sweaters from J Crew at the end of the winter season for around 50 a piece in the lennox store. Also Lennox in Atl always has several good buys in their BB store.

6. KBW

KBW Senior member

Seiko...I know they aren't "high-end" enough for a lot of you on this board but I have several high end watches (access to many more through my father) and I still absolutely love certain vintage seikos and older mm's. Seiko just doesn't make anything nearly as nice or with as much effort as they used to.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I'm not so sure about Seiko being a company who slipped down the pipe. I think they found their market and then developed themselves well within it. I wear a Seiko chronograph that I've had for eons. My wallets have gone through hell but this thing as gone through hell and back again. If I do manage to kill it I would go and buy another one in a heartbeat.

wish I could find one of their automatic divers like the one I had a few decades ago......

8. N.K.

N.K. Active Member

I take issue with Rolex. While the meaning behind buying a Rolex has changed (it used to be a watch you needed, rather than a luxury item), I would argue that their build quality has not deteriorated in the least, and that it is equally well made as ever. It is, however, just another status watch now, as opposed to something with a true utilitarian purpose.

Agreed. A very fine watch to this day.

N.K.

9. N.K.

N.K. Active Member

Another brand that has become sadly overrated - Oxxford Clothes. New ownership may have hipped it up a bit but quality has suffered.

N.K.

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Another brand that has become sadly overrated - Oxxford Clothes. New ownership may have hipped it up a bit but quality has suffered.

N.K.

How so?

11. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767

N.K.

In that case, Brioni's and Kiton's (as well as all other brands' quality worldwide) has also suffered with most other brands worldwide also becoming overrated (more so than Oxxford's quality has suffered with most other brands worldwide becoming more overrated than Oxxford and, in particular, most other brands worldwide becoming more sadly overrated than Oxxford as well).

12. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

I take issue with Rolex. While the meaning behind buying a Rolex has changed (it used to be a watch you needed, rather than a luxury item)

Stupid question but I'm curious as to why it "used to be a watch you needed"? I am the beneficiary of the "need" I guess, because my grandfather, who probably didn't really have the means to buy one, but still did in the 70s, so this has me really curious.

13. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767
    I'm not so sure about Seiko being a company who slipped down the pipe. I think they found their market and then developed themselves well within it. I wear a Seiko chronograph that I've had for eons. My wallets have gone through hell but this thing as gone through hell and back again. If I do manage to kill it I would go and buy another one in a heartbeat.

wish I could find one of their automatic divers like the one I had a few decades ago......

I also own a Seiko watch that I got as a Christmas gift from my girlfriend in 2006 (exactly a year and a half ago today) and it is by far the best watch that I have ever owned. It has been perfect to me. Enough so that I will most likely never buy a more expensive, fancier, more upscale, etcetera watch in my whole life. Therefore, I do not think that Seiko's quality has suffered at all, not even the least bit, let alone any amount more than the least bit. [​IMG]

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I take issue with Rolex. While the meaning behind buying a Rolex has changed (it used to be a watch you needed, rather than a luxury item), I would argue that their build quality has not deteriorated in the least, and that it is equally well made as ever. It is, however, just another status watch now, as opposed to something with a true utilitarian purpose.

What I'm talking about is the new models they've been churning out recently. Like the Yachmaster II. That watch is just plain ugly, imo.

15. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

16. Soph

Soph Senior member

Ferragamo (besides tramezza)
    Armami
    GM
    Most steakhouses
    Persol
    Boss
    Nordstroms/Boomingdales
    Chain restaurants

17. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Their automatic divers are readily available online and in Asia. What are you looking for?

Apologies for the hijack. For the record, I listed Seiko as a brand that is undervalued in a recent thread.

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Persol

Why Persol?

19. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

My vote is for Calvin Klein. I wonder if the brand even knows what natural fibers are any more.

20. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

Ouch.

Although I understand that the yankees cap is the only casual cap that goes with any outfit irrespective of colors (although it does come in every color and pattern imaginable). A classic in its own right.

just got to throw out there, that it seems that any of the classic baseball hats work for this. I am partial to Detroit.