1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brands that are coasting off their reputation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Jun 21, 2008.

1. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Member

Definitely Armani! Collezioni and Emporio. Used to be made in Italy, now 70% are made in Turkey and other cheap countries. Quality is going down, prices are going up.

Who would pay $600 for cheap armani collezioni polyester jacket?

I have noticed Ralph Lauren is starting to follow Armani

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Why Persol?
    I'd like to know as well.

And why Ray Ban? (Which was mentioned on an earlier page.)

4. Azure

Azure Senior member

Gucci with huge stamps with his name on it charching just for teh stamp hundreds of euros for a could be a GAP jacket or Baseball jacket or whatever.

Dolce & Gaba..... Just a few pieces are ok the rest overpriced hyped junk for wannabe stars..

Boss is following the above...

Some Versaces and Armanis too

Even Lancia, top italian car brand is following that path doing fat cars not sportive as old delta anymore..

Seems all this italian brands are living from their past.

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Seiko...I know they aren't "high-end" enough for a lot of you on this board but I have several high end watches (access to many more through my father) and I still absolutely love certain vintage seikos and older mm's. Seiko just doesn't make anything nearly as nice or with as much effort as they used to.

The Seiko Monsters are still very good watches for the money.

6. kabert

kabert Senior member

Many years back (15+ years ago), I thought of these as high quality:

- Joseph Abboud (I recall paying $125 each for a couple of sublime plaid cotton shirts)
    - Calvin Klein
    - Perry Ellis

Then, JA sold out, CK went worldwide, and Perry Ellis died.

7. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

How about GAP and BR? Their prices keep going up, quality keeps dropping. It's to the point where their clothing is not worth buying (with the exception of, on sale, their suits and occasionally wool slacks).

Nautica, anyone?

Hmm...by reputation would you also include image?

If that's the case, BOSS for certain.

Agree on all accounts.

8. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I see this in too many products: brands coasting off their previously sterling reputation for quality and overcharging for their products while simultaneously cutting corners to expand their profit margins or protect their market share.

Tommy Hilfiger was once an up and coming label in the early 1990s, but then they got greedy, over-expanded into too many outlets, and churned out crappy clothing lines (not to mention staying too long with their hip-hop image). The same thing happened with Calvin Klein. The worst designer to fall into this downward spiral of brand destruction was Pierre Cardin. While Lacoste managed to rehabilitate its image as a quality apparel brand, Pierre Cardin has not.

What brands do you think are currently coasting on their reputation and are hurting their brand's image because they make inferior goods for the prices they charge?

Theory.

9. kdaust

kdaust Well-Known Member

The fact that this thread is so long goes straight to Crane's point a few pages back.

What's the bet a shorter thread would be "Brands that represent quality above all else".

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Ralph Lauren
    fail [​IMG]

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

The fact that this thread is so long goes straight to Crane's point a few pages back.

What's the bet a shorter thread would be "Brands that represent quality above all else".

Great idea.

I'll give you credit.

- B

12. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

BOSE (Buy other sound equipment, though their headphones get decent reviews surprisingly enough)
    Rolex (Only recently have they evolved into the watch they should be at their price point and even that is questionable when compared to alternatives)
    Montblanc (LE stuff is nice, but Meisterstuck line is only mediocre when compared to others)
    Aurora (Raised prices considerably in the hopes to boost prestige)
    Ferragamo (though have heard the tramezza line is ok)
    Armani
    Hugo Boss
    "High end" Chain Restaurants (Think PF Changs)
    Johnston and Murphy (Every pair I owned fell apart in less than a year)
    Louis Vuitton (Spendy, reportedly made in china for some of their line, and "played out")
    Burberry
    Coach (many gripe about their quality decline and tacky styles, personally I find them ok given their price compared to the competition and their more traditional stuff ok, but unless one pays alot more there aren't many options)
    Florsheim (shadow of its former self, but still better than most of the other bargain shoe companies out there)
    Tiffany (overpriced everything)
    Brand Malls (Simon)
    Cole Haan
    JCrew
    Banana Republic
    Nordstrom
    Sony
    Mercedes

The interesting point is that seemingly every brand which gets big slips when it comes to something

I am sure I can think of more...

13. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

BOSE (Buy other sound equipment, though their headphones get decent reviews surprisingly enough)
    Rolex (Only recently have they evolved into the watch they should be at their price point and even that is questionable when compared to alternatives)
    Montblanc (LE stuff is nice, but Meisterstuck line is only mediocre when compared to others)
    Aurora (Raised prices considerably in the hopes to boost prestige)
    Ferragamo (though have heard the tramezza line is ok)
    Armani
    Hugo Boss
    "High end" Chain Restaurants (Think PF Changs)
    Johnston and Murphy (Every pair I owned fell apart in less than a year)
    Louis Vuitton (Spendy, reportedly made in china for some of their line, and "played out")
    Burberry
    Coach (many gripe about their quality decline and tacky styles, personally I find them ok given their price compared to the competition and their more traditional stuff ok, but unless one pays alot more there aren't many options)
    Florsheim (shadow of its former self, but still better than most of the other bargain shoe companies out there)
    Tiffany (overpriced everything)
    Brand Malls (Simon)
    Cole Haan
    JCrew
    Banana Republic
    Nordstrom
    Sony
    Mercedes

The interesting point is that seemingly every brand which gets big slips when it comes to something

I am sure I can think of more...

CK.

14. chrome_dout

chrome_dout Senior member

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

America [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I can't disagree with you there!